• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Collin Sexton | The Young Bull

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Resolves First?

• Collin Sexton's Restricted Free Agency

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Baker Mayfield's Tenure with the Browns

Votes: 30 61.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Through the preseason, really mixed bag so far. By far the biggest positive for me is his pick and roll passing, which is a lot further along than I was expecting. He's shown flashes of hesitating or working towards an angle to make the best pass and not always being go-go-go and hitting the roller if he's open. His catch and shoot J is much better than I thought (extremely small sample size) since it was a definite weakness in college.

His off the dribble shooting is about what I expected. Really comfortable going to it from his left hand.

By far the weakest part of his game: his dribble drive game, both driving and finishing, is going to need A LOT of work. It seems like he's even more reluctant to go right or use his right hand than he was in college, and he was already extremely left hand dominant then. Guards are going to shade him to his left hand and bigs are going to wait for the lefty layups and it'll be tough until he can make them respect the right hand.
All true. But he is only 19 and is a hard worker. He also is coachable and is aware of his shortcomings. Without that work ethic I would be more worried

All true. But he is only 19 and is a hard worker. He also is coachable and is aware of his shortcomings. Without that work ethic I would be more worried

He’s a project. What’s nice is the work ethic part appears to be there, and the drive to be great.
We’ll know what the Cavs have in a couple years. For now, if he works hard CLE will love him.
As far as his right hand goes, that’s next offseason’s project for him. He’s only 19.

If you look at his game from college to now, it is already much more refined for the NBA.

I dont know who he is training with and how he is able to improve that quickly, especially with shooting form. Its impressive for someone so young to be able to develop at that pace before he has played even game 1 in the NBA.

Collin had a series of welcome to the NBA moments in a row.

Gets blocked at the rim.
Gets scored on at the rim on other side.
Passes ball away to no one and is mad as it slowly heads out of bounds.
Gets pass intercepted.

Handle looks a little loose, kinda just praying when he throws it up around the rim, the game is moving way too fast for him.

On the plus side, PGs have a big learning curve so he’s on track. And he’s clearly much faster than basically everyone on the court.

Far too soon overreaction: Not sure what i expected but it was a little unsettling how raw he looked. His motor will go a long way to get him through his rookie year because his shot and handles certainly arent going to.

Far too soon overreaction: Not sure what i expected but it was a little unsettling how raw he looked. His motor will go a long way to get him through his rookie year because his shot and handles certainly arent going to.

I said this in the game thread but he looked nervous just like his first summer league game and first preseason game, he showed improvement in each game after those poor showings. He got that first NBA basket off his back. We will see him work and improve as the season goes on. He needs to adjust to the NBA speed, length, and shot blocking. I don't think it will take him long to get use to playing at this level and show real development.

Being a rookie is one thing, being a rookie point guard is another.

I am on the fence with sexton. True, he's not athletically challenged and can match the speed of the NBA but the (lack of)skills he has is years away from being a good pg. He cant shoot and the feel for the game is subpar. Hoping that his work ethic will propel him to have a better rookie year.

Yeah I don't like the Clarkson pairing.

I thought he had a rough start, but did a few things well and got into the teeth of the defense.

He just needs experience. He is 19. Far too early to panic. People were spoiled by the rookie play of Kyrie and that other guy um ... Cedi

He needs to be in more lineups with Hill, Cedii and Love and less lineups with Dekker and Clarkson. He has a long way to go as a PG and as a player though. Like others have mentioned though, he has the motor to keep on improving. It's going to be an fun season watching him.

I can't do it now, can someone post his his postgame interview?

He seemed very chill, not down, just looking to improve. I am down with this attitude. He is cold.

He came off a couple of screens tonight and I see what they meant about getting out of control. He's got to think a little faster and tighten his handle up. If he can he will go by anybody.

I have no idea how he’ll progress. His work ethic suggests he’ll try his best. When I look at rookies, I look for holy shit glimmers of the future. I know they’ll be inefficient. I haven’t seen any holy shit did you see that moments yet with this kid, but it’s preseason and one game, so I’ll hope to see them still.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."