• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2019 NBA Draft

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
It is? I see Little and Barrett, but who else? I'm worried they'll go top-3 (along with Zion) and be off the board when we pick...
Right there are some expectations for potentially good sf one and done's that are probably hyped too much right now as well.
I don't see locked in high caliber players in this draft class outside the top 6. I have no expectations myself of the Cavs even retaining the pick.

It is? I see Little and Barrett, but who else? I'm worried they'll go top-3 (along with Zion) and be off the board when we pick...

So we have Zion, Barrett and Little with superstar potential already right?

Then you have Reddish

Then you have Sekou Doumbouya who is a project, but was touted as a top 5 pick.

Now I believe there are talented SFs that are not currently rated very high which are:

Hachimura, DeAndre Hunter

Two interesting players are Jalen McDaniels and Kris Wilkes as well.

Thing is, even if we finish 7th for example, we have pretty nice odds to sneak into the top 3 because of the new draft lottery.

Right there are some expectations for potentially good sf one and done's that are probably hyped too much right now as well.
I don't see locked in high caliber players in this draft class outside the top 6. I have no expectations myself of the Cavs even retaining the pick.

I think Toronto plans on using Kawhi at the 4 which I doubt will last but that appears to be their plan.
As far as Osman goes his passing ability from the point forward position and his defensive intensity require us to use him at the 3 at least as a defender for now.
I don't think his shooting or dribbling is good enough yet to be in a guard role.
Ideally it would be nice to get upgrades , but I'm not confident at all this draft will be the one unless we go full tank mode.

Their plan is actually pretty simple. Lowry,Green, Kawhi, Anunoby, Ibaka is their starting lineup. I give Siakam a good chance to replace Ibaka in the lineup soon enough. I don't see how playing Kawhi at the 4 benefits them because all their best players are already in the lineup(other than Ibaka...but that doesn't change anything).

As far as the rest of the message, I just can't agree with. For starters, Cedi can guard the best player on the other team regardless of what position he plays offensively. Playing him at the 2 only unlocks his offensive potential. Cause like I said, he will be guarded by SFs and according to every stat available, starting SFs are much, much better than SGs defensively(weakest position defensively in the league).

He can definitely play the guard role even right now. How does his dribbling limit him against SGs more than SFs? it's the opposite because shooting over lengthy SFs is much more difficult than shooting over smaller SGs or bulling his way to the rim against SFs is again, much harder. Therefore being a good dribbler and being a good isolation player(triple threat, crossover moves) is that much more important against strong, lengthy lock down defenders because you need to create much better separation on the perimeter. Also, SFs are much more prone/effective at/to switching because they are bigger, and Cedi's biggest strength right now is his ability to run the PnR. You rather they not switch.

So we have Zion, Barrett and Little with superstar potential already right?

Then you have Reddish

Then you have Sekou Doumbouya who is a project, but was touted as a top 5 pick.

Now I believe there are talented SFs that are not currently rated very high which are:

Hachimura, DeAndre Hunter

Two interesting players are Jalen McDaniels and Kris Wilkes as well.

Thing is, even if we finish 7th for example, we have pretty nice odds to sneak into the top 3 because of the new draft lottery.

Zion and Doumbouya are definitely PFs (if not Cs) so I'm not counting them. Reddish is interesting, but IMO he's in the same boat as Cedi with a lanky sort of frame that's better suited to playing SG than SF. Hachimura et al don't strike me as top-10 talents, but I guess this is a beggars-can't-be-choosers kind of draft.

Their plan is actually pretty simple. Lowry,Green, Kawhi, Anunoby, Ibaka is their starting lineup. I give Siakam a good chance to replace Ibaka in the lineup soon enough. I don't see how playing Kawhi at the 4 benefits them because all their best players are already in the lineup(other than Ibaka...but that doesn't change anything).

As far as the rest of the message, I just can't agree with. For starters, Cedi can guard the best player on the other team regardless of what position he plays offensively. Playing him at the 2 only unlocks his offensive potential. Cause like I said, he will be guarded by SFs and according to every stat available, starting SFs are much, much better than SGs defensively(weakest position defensively in the league).

He can definitely play the guard role even right now. How does his dribbling limit him against SGs more than SFs? it's the opposite because shooting over lengthy SFs is much more difficult than shooting over smaller SGs or bulling his way to the rim against SFs is again, much harder. Therefore being a good dribbler and being a good isolation player(triple threat, crossover moves) is that much more important against strong, lengthy lock down defenders because you need to create much better separation on the perimeter. Also, SFs are much more prone/effective at/to switching because they are bigger, and Cedi's biggest strength right now is his ability to run the PnR. You rather they not switch.
Isn't your position on paper the position you defend? Cedi will be listed as a sf and defend that position most of the time esp if it's the opposing teams 1st option.
Cavs can put him on whomever they want if thats not the case he can pretty much defend 2-4. But to suggest he is off guard material with better shooters on the floor with him seems unlikely.

Zion and Doumbouya are definitely PFs (if not Cs) so I'm not counting them. Reddish is interesting, but IMO he's in the same boat as Cedi with a lanky sort of frame that's better suited to playing SG than SF. Hachimura et al don't strike me as top-10 talents, but I guess this is a beggars-can't-be-choosers kind of draft.

I think Zion is positionless. He will be a matchup nightmare at the 1/2/3/4/5. He will force defensive adjustments and will make us that much harder to guard.

Reddish has great frame. He will become a strong SF or a SG..doesn't matter. The other team will have to put a SF on him(if he proves to be a good player of course). Barrett otoh is lanky and is closer to Rodney Hood in frame.

Ofcourse, the other players are not regarded as top talents yet, but they are currently sleepers in my book. I was just pointing out that this draft is not shallow in SF talent. 2018 draft was shallow in SF talent and the 2020 draft is shallow in SF talent - this draft is not.

Bottom line is that we have a pretty good chance to sneak in the top 3 as long as we keep our pick. And on paper the players that are there kinda fit the bill.

I have no idea how good these kids are to be honest to form a substantial opinion..i'm just looking at their profiles and ceilings on paper.

I think Zion is positionless. He will be a matchup nightmare at the 1/2/3/4/5. He will force defensive adjustments and will make us that much harder to guard.

Reddish has great frame. He will become a strong SF or a SG..doesn't matter. The other team will have to put a SF on him(if he proves to be a good player of course). Barrett otoh is lanky and is closer to Rodney Hood in frame.

Ofcourse, the other players are not regarded as top talents yet, but they are currently sleepers in my book. I was just pointing out that this draft is not shallow in SF talent. 2018 draft was shallow in SF talent and the 2020 draft is shallow in SF talent - this draft is not.

Bottom line is that we have a pretty good chance to sneak in the top 3 as long as we keep our pick. And on paper the players that are there kinda fit the bill.

I have no idea how good these kids are to be honest to form a substantial opinion..i'm just looking at their profiles and ceilings on paper.
So I take it you think the Cavs are going to tank,despite them telling Love they won't be ? There is more of a chance the Cavs end up forfeiting the pick and just missing the playoffs or making the playoffs than there is of them retaining the pick without tanking.

Don't get me wrong, I love Zion...he's #1 on my board for sure. I just can't fathom ever playing him at SF.

As for Reddish and Barrett, I have the opposite impression. Maybe Barrett's skinnier at the moment, but he absolutely looks at home in the paint, offensively and defensively, while on the perimeter he looks a little ungainly. I can even imagine him ending up at PF in the long run. Reddish on the other hand loves the perimeter but seems to get swallowed up sometimes inside. I don't think he'd be a terrible combo with Cedi on the wing, but at a glance their skillsets and tendencies seem to overlap a lot.

Isn't your position on paper the position you defend? Cedi will be listed as a sf and defend that position most of the time esp if it's the opposing teams 1st option.
Cavs can put him on whomever they want if thats not the case he can pretty much defend 2-4. But to suggest he is off guard material with better shooters on the floor with him seems unlikely.

Cedi can defend 1-4. This is why I only care about the offensive side of the ball. Cedi has SF size and plays the SF position for us, so teams will put their SF on him...especially with Hood being more of a finesse(soft) SG.

Never said or suggested that Cedi was an off-guard.

Watch Cedi bully players in SL and shoot over them with ease. This is what I want him to do on this team. I don't envision it happening against starter SFs, but I do see it against SG...at least in the near future. That is all. We need to force the other teams to put their SG on Cedi.

So I take it you think the Cavs are going to tank,despite them telling Love they won't be ? There is more of a chance the Cavs end up forfeiting the pick and just missing the playoffs or making the playoffs than there is of them retaining the pick without tanking.

I don't think they are going to tank. I think they should tank, or at least be bad while being competitive.

Don't get me wrong, I love Zion...he's #1 on my board for sure. I just can't fathom ever playing him at SF.

As for Reddish and Barrett, I have the opposite impression. Maybe Barrett's skinnier at the moment, but he absolutely looks at home in the paint, offensively and defensively, while on the perimeter he looks a little ungainly. I can even imagine him ending up at PF in the long run. Reddish on the other hand loves the perimeter but seems to get swallowed up sometimes inside. I don't think he'd be a terrible combo with Cedi on the wing, but at a glance their skillsets and tendencies seem to overlap a lot.

I was just talking about his physical profile (frame, size, etc). I know about his tendencies, and yes, Barrett plays with much more aggressiveness. I'm just not sure that he will be able to play like that in the NBA.

But yeah, i'm not yet very familiar with this draft crop. Will have to wait till the season starts.

Reddish is closer to a small ball 4 than a 2 in today's NBA imo. It's all not that important though to me, wings are wings... and if he's playing the 4 he's just playing as an extra wing basically.

I honestly think he has the most potential of anyone in this draft.

Reddish is closer to a small ball 4 than a 2 in today's NBA imo. It's all not that important though to me, wings are wings... and if he's playing the 4 he's just playing as an extra wing basically.

I honestly think he has the most potential of anyone in this draft.

Right. He is more of a 4.

I don't think you can confidently say he has more potential than anyone in the draft. We haven't seen anything yet.

I'm no draft expert, but the 2019 draft class by all accounts looks pretty weak too me.Luckily they got their pg of the future in 2018. I think The Cavs org has zero interest in making the retaining of their own first round pick a priority given it would require some hard late season tanking. Looking at available prospects that are projected later in the draft due to raw skill sets or low ceilings which is the range of likely available assets if you can call it that via Hill or Korver trades would require the Cavs to hit on a Cedi type gem. Not impossible but pretty unlikely.I personally would rather they play well this season and try to get a draft asset in 2020 from a team trending downward where the pick may be similar to the Nets pick was.

Jontay Porter out for the year with a torn ACL and a torn MCL. Sorry, @Nathan S

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."