• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Indians 2018-2019 Offseason Outlook

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
It's going to be interesting to see the bullpen on Opening Day. Reading this article from Alex Hooper sheds some light on a few things.

Right now, it looks like this:

Locks
Brad Hand
Adam Cimber
Nick Goody

Internal Candidates
Dan Otero
Jon Edwards
Tyler Olson
Neil Ramirez
Cody Anderson
Danny Salazar
James Hoyt
Ben Taylor
Nick Sandlin

If I had to guess right now, I'd say this will be our pen to start:

Hand
Salazar
Cimber
Goody
Edwards
Otero
Free agent (likely on a minor league deal)
What a dumpster fire. Cimber and Goody #2 and #3, that's laughable. Cimber can't even strike guys out.

Probably the most curious off-season in the Indians history.

Cimber striking out 51 in 48-1/3 for the Padres to striking out 7 in 20 IP for the Indians is one of the more confusing things I have ever seen in baseball statline/box score

Terry Pluto's column had a few nuggets of information in it today:

- Said he expects Brantley to leave, and that he's heard he'll be able to get something like 3 years, $45 Million from some team.
- Said he thinks the Indians will try to trade Kipnis, but that he could be starting in LF on Opening Day.
- He seems to expect Yandy at 3B, Ramirez at 2B.
- Said he expects little free agency movement, but does anticipate a trade for an outfielder.

Terry Pluto's column had a few nuggets of information in it today:

- Said he expects Brantley to leave, and that he's heard he'll be able to get something like 3 years, $45 Million from some team.
- Said he thinks the Indians will try to trade Kipnis, but that he could be starting in LF on Opening Day.
- He seems to expect Yandy at 3B, Ramirez at 2B.
- Said he expects little free agency movement, but does anticipate a trade for an outfielder.

Pluto is dreaming if he thinks Kipnis is a viable option in left. His numbers last year were terrible and when he did hit it was against bad teams. If nobody wants him just cut him and give some other guy a shot through trade or some other avenue. You cannot go into next year with an outfield of Kipnis, Allen and Naquin. With that outfield, I'm not even sure they win the division.

My biggest question does Chang do more for us than Diaz at 3rd next season and 2020 or do we move Diaz to first when/if we move Alonso/EE? We really have a two year window left with this roster before we will have to make a rebuild in a sense. Would you be okay with moving a Chang for like an Adam Eaton type of player that is under team control for a few seasons?

We started this convo in the Minor League thread. It's more relevant for this thread so I'm moving it over....

I think moving EE/Alonso/Kipnis is a pipe dream so they'll ride it out with this core for one more year before all those guys walk next offseason. The Indians do need to platoon Alonso at 1B this year so his $9M 2020 option doesn't vest (550 PA's in 2019 or 1,100 in 18-19).

I don't really see Yandy as a full-time 3B. Personally, I'd rather have him in LF and Kip back at 2B but it's clear the Indians don't like Kip at 2B anymore so they'd have roll the dice with Yandy at 3B since Chang still needs time in the minors.

I really don't see the Indians increasing payroll. For salary to come in, salary is gonna have to go out. Like I said, I don't think we're getting off of Kipnis/EE/Alonso so that'd make a deal for Eaton a no go (his contract would make him the Indians 5th highest paid player). Plus, I think Chang has some pop, he can really hit and he'll come cheap for the foreseeable future. For a solid defensive SS, Chang should also be a plus defender on the hot corner.

Which brings me to how I'd shake things up.... move a starter. I'm looking at guys like the Cubs Ian Happ or Kyle Schwarber. It doesn't necessarily have to be one of those two guys but someone on preferably a pre-arb contract that can swing the bat is what I'd want in return.

We started this convo in the Minor League thread. It's more relevant for this thread so I'm moving it over....

I think moving EE/Alonso/Kipnis is a pipe dream so they'll ride it out with this core for one more year before all those guys walk next offseason. The Indians do need to platoon Alonso at 1B this year so his $9M 2020 option doesn't vest (550 PA's in 2019 or 1,100 in 18-19).

I don't really see Yandy as a full-time 3B. Personally, I'd rather have him in LF and Kip back at 2B but it's clear the Indians don't like Kip at 2B anymore so they'd have roll the dice with Yandy at 3B since Chang still needs time in the minors.

I really don't see the Indians increasing payroll. For salary to come in, salary is gonna have to go out. Like I said, I don't think we're getting off of Kipnis/EE/Alonso so that'd make a deal for Eaton a no go (his contract would make him the Indians 5th highest paid player). Plus, I think Chang has some pop, he can really hit and he'll come cheap for the foreseeable future. For a solid defensive SS, Chang should also be a plus defender on the hot corner.

Which brings me to how I'd shake things up.... move a starter. I'm looking at guys like the Cubs Ian Happ or Kyle Schwarber. It doesn't necessarily have to be one of those two guys but someone on preferably a pre-arb contract that can swing the bat is what I'd want in return.

If it's Kluber I would want a proven veteran plus 2 premium prospects. he is still a top 5 or 6 pitcher in the game, and his contract is the probably the best in baseball. It would have to be a haul for him. Bauer and Carrasco maybe a little less since they will hit the market in 2 years.

A name the Tribe should be targeting this winter is outfielder David Peralta of the Diamondbacks. They appear to be preparing a fire sale and beginning their rebuild, while Peralta turned 31 in August and has three seasons left under arbitration. He posted a .293/.352./.516 slash line and finished the season with a career high in both home runs (30) and walks (48), while his bWAR came out to 3.9. The cost would be steep, but he would be an ideal in this outfield and the organization can’t afford to be passive again in the outfield trade market as they were last offseason.

Last pipe dream deal I wanted was to trade for Verlander and everyone was like he was washed up... uh huh, it would have been worth it in hindsight.

The market for Kipnis, EE and Alonso is enough to where we can get a decent prospect back and get rid of some cap, to make a move like resign Brantley, sign a guy like Gonzalez etc and trade for a player like Eaton.

I just personally feel Chang may be our best prospect to put a package around for a legitimate OF since we have other players currently at his position in the pros. We have to win by 2021 since in 2021 we have to rebuild whether we like it or not.

Everyone looked at me strangely for wanting to trade Carrasco, but I think if we trade Kipnis, EE, Alonso, Carrasco and then trade for a Eaton using Chang, I think we actually could get better as long as we went retain Brantley and get Gonzalez who can play a bunch of positions well since Carrasco could easily net us a guy who can make a difference in the lineup.

Your revisionist memory is foggy.

Very few people were saying Verlander was washed up. Rather, no one in here felt it was worth discussing the Indians trading for a division rival's ace that was still owed $75m because it was never going to happen. The Astros took on the majority of that money, sent an MLB Top 50 prospect and 2 others that now rank in the Tigers Top 10. It was a great deal for the Astros all things considered and never one we were going to be able to top.

Let me be the first to say the Indians should sign Bryce Harper this offseason so I can bring up things that were never going to happen in a year.

Your revisionist memory is foggy.

Very few people were saying Verlander was washed up. Rather, no one in here felt it was worth discussing the Indians trading for a division rival's ace that was still owed $75m because it was never going to happen. The Astros took on the majority of that money, sent an MLB Top 50 prospect and 2 others that now rank in the Tigers Top 10. It was a great deal for the Astros all things considered and never one we were going to be able to top.

Let me be the first to say the Indians should sign Bryce Harper this offseason so I can bring up things that were never going to happen in a year.

Actually AZ_ said he wasn't even going to perform like he has been at all. My memory isn't foggy and I got ripped by people because they said he wouldn't even perform, so it wasn't even worth trading for him (go ahead and read what people said), I think you and maybe like one other person said he just never would happen cause of the price tag.

Either way I think the Indians need to make changes, and my guess is we are going to make a few trades, from veterans and for veterans.

The great thing about an internet forum is everything that was said a year ago is still there for everyone to read.

http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/2017-trade-deadline.48055/page-17

Boobie is literally THE only one who had anything negative to say about Verlander not pitching up to his name. And the whole time it had much, much more to do with the amount of money we'd have to pay him. So saying people and everyone was ripping on you for the take is false.

You're talking the whole time like the Indians should ignore the price and absorb the contract of a guy set to make more money than Encarnacion, who 7 months prior signed the richest contract in the franchise's history.

The great thing about an internet forum is everything that was said a year ago is still there for everyone to read.

http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/2017-trade-deadline.48055/page-17

Boobie is literally THE only one who had anything negative to say about Verlander not pitching up to his name. And the whole time it had much, much more to do with the amount of money we'd have to pay him. So saying people and everyone was ripping on you for the take is false.

You're talking the whole time like the Indians should ignore the price and absorb the contract of a guy set to make more money than Encarnacion, who 7 months prior signed the richest contract in the franchise's history.

Indians were never paying the price tag.

Nothing changed a year later, really. Other than the fact he’s pitching better.

They have to give up $55 million, I don't care if they exhume Mike Rouse and deal him 1-for-1. The Indians aren't paying that, they'd be insane to. He's not even pitching that well.

:chuckle:

Reading between the lines, it certainly seems as if Michael Brantley won't be back and that Jason Kipnis is a real possibility in LF, which gives you this lineup.

SS-Lindor
3B-Diaz
2B-Ramirez
DH-Encarnacion
1B-Alonso
RF-Naquin
C-Gomes
LF-Kipnis
CF-Martin/Allen

Assuming Kipnis and Encarnacion can't be dumped elsewhere, RF seems like the most realistic spot for a significant upgrade. I love the suggestion @Kevalier brought up of trading for David Peralta, who is signed through 2020 and fits the current core's window perfectly. Andrew McCutchen is another player I like, if nothing else to lead off and bump Lindor down to the heart of the order. Nick Markakis is another veteran free agent who could be a fit.

Urban literally emasculated sportscoach to the point where I think sportscoach should be banned for 180 days to think about what he’s done

My dream off-season would include:

1. Trade Kluber and Kipnis to New York for Gleyber Torres. If they don't want Kluber, I would then offer Carrasco or Bauer. New York needs better pitching, we need the hitter.

2. Trade Tristian McKenzie and some lower end prospects to Minnesota for Eddie Rosario. He replaces Brantley in left field.

3. Sign Marwin Gonzalez to play right field.

4. Trade Edwin or Alonso for some relievers.

5. Have Yandi play first base.

6. Sign a few low priced free agent relievers.

Lineup.
1. Zimmer/Allen.
2. Rosario
3. Jose
4. Lindor
5. Torres
6 Gonzalez
7 edwin/Alonso
8. Diaz
9. Gomes

Getting rid of 2 of kipnis/edwin/Alonso is,a must. We will never win anything with them all in the lineup going forward. They are the stench of this team and need to go. Getting Rosario and Torres gets this team younger and under control from a contract situation what were looking for. Slim chance if we do anything like that, but that what it will take to win the AL next year.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."