• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Luka Doncic

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
And all those guys achieved your statistical thresholds, right? That doesn't disprove my point.

My assessment isn't off, it's just different than your's.

No, it's pointing out that Young is surpassing a really hard bar to get over (15/7), playing far fewer minutes than the guys on the list.

So the "pace" knock against him isn't a good one. If he were playing 40 minutes a game, at an insane pace, then sure. That is all I was pointing out.

Your assessment sounds more subjective, which is fine. There should be subjectivity in evaluation.....but that doesn't change how hard it is to do what he is doing.

To illustrate this point.....any position, 10 PPG, 6 AST as a rookie.....only 32 rookies have ever done that.....since the 50's, when they have been logging these databases.

'98-18'.....11 players got to the 10 / 6 threshold.

'77-'97......18 players got to the 10 / 6 threshold.

So, how do you explain this whole "much lower pace, much less offense league-wide, and less opportunity for rookies to run the show" angle you are trying to take?

Less players are actually doing what Young is doing, in an era you say is easier to do it.

No, it's pointing out that Young is surpassing a really hard bar to get over (15/7), playing far fewer minutes than the guys on the list.

So the "pace" knock against him isn't a good one. If he were playing 40 minutes a game, at an insane pace, then sure. That is all I was pointing out.

Your assessment sounds more subjective, which is fine. There should be subjectivity in evaluation.....but that doesn't change how hard it is to do what he is doing.

To illustrate this point.....any position, 10 PPG, 6 AST as a rookie.....only 32 rookies have ever done that.....since the 50's, when they have been logging these databases.

'98-18'.....11 players got to the 10 / 6 threshold.

'77-'97......18 players got to the 10 / 6 threshold.

So, how do you explain this whole "much lower pace, much less offense league-wide, and less opportunity for rookies to run the show" angle you are trying to take?

Less players are actually doing what Young is doing, in an era you say is easier to do it.

Well, it's inarguable, pace is significantly up, scoring is significantly up, and very few rookies are allowed the usage that Young has been granted.

If you take out his games against the hapless Cavs, his numbers are dog shit.

So, yeah, I don't think this has been a strong 9 game sample for him. There is obviously a lot of season left.

Love both Young and Doncic: didn't realize Young's passing was so good. He really does look like mini-Steph

He looks the same as he did in Europe even though the completion is much tougher. That's just really weird. Literally everything about his game seems to have translated.

Not just translated, in some areas he seems to be even better, like 3PT shooting (despite the three point line being further) and rebounding. I also feel like the NBA court being bigger is a good thing for Luka's game.

He looks the same as he did in Europe even though the completion is much tougher. That's just really weird. Literally everything about his game seems to have translated.

He looks better actually. The floor was cramped for him in Europe and he was at times shut down by good defensive wings. In the NBa he can get to the lane at will and finish easily with a floater. Also, he has tons of space to navigate inside the 3pt line @ PnR and for a guy like Luka who is super heady and plays with tremendous pace, it's easy money.

Biggest difference maker for his 3-point shooting is that over half of his threes have been assisted, compared to probably 10-20% in Europe where he was constantly hounded by defenders even when he didn't have the ball. The longer 3-point line was never going to be an issue for him...his form was always picture perfect out to 30+ feet, and he was taking most of his 3's in Europe from NBA range anyway.

And to think he basically went 5th....

Last 5 games:
22.0 ppg
7.0 rpg
4.4 apg
54% FG / 48% 3PT / 84% FT

So crazy how NBA ready he is, and just scratching the surface at 19 years old. If he was a bit more selfish he could probably put up 30 ppg on still a pretty good efficiency.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prPEaoMxY_0

Last edited:
Last 5 games:
22.0 ppg
7.0 rpg
4.4 apg
54% FG / 48% 3PT / 84% FT

So crazy how NBA ready he is, and just scratching the surface at 19 years old. If he was a bit more selfish he could probably put up 30 ppg on still a pretty good efficiency.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prPEaoMxY_0

Wouldn't hurt for him to be a bit more selfish...he could take a step back 3 every possession and still be more efficient than Barnes (.36/.32/.78 shooting) and Barea (.32/.22/.73 shooting). Hood and Clarkson are paradigms of scoring efficiency in comparison.

Love both Young and Doncic: didn't realize Young's passing was so good. He really does look like mini-Steph

My concern with Young is two-fold...

1.) He's not on the same planet as Steph as a shooter. Maybe gets close to Steph's orbit when he's hot....but he is way way streakier than Steph. Dude is shooting under 28% on a fairly high volume right now. I'm sure it will improve, but Steph is the greatest shooter of all time and that's what separates him. He might actually be a better playmaker than Curry was though, but I don't know that he has the same feel for the game/ability to run an offensive system.

2.) Not sure he will ever even be able to be "adequate" defensively, whereas Curry when he's locked in can be a slight plus defender at his best and neutral more often than not.

Doncic is a bonafide stud though. That dude is going to be in the 27-7-7 club by his 3rd or 4th year. He can win an MVP in this league. He's really special. Really really special. Hasn't even begun to tap into his physical potential...that will come with years of NBA Strength and Conditioning+Diet. He's doing it all with skill which is mighty impressive. Dallas hit a grand slam there.

My concern with Young is two-fold...

1.) He's not on the same planet as Steph as a shooter. Maybe gets close to Steph's orbit when he's hot....but he is way way streakier than Steph. Dude is shooting under 28% on a fairly high volume right now. I'm sure it will improve, but Steph is the greatest shooter of all time and that's what separates him. He might actually be a better playmaker than Curry was though, but I don't know that he has the same feel for the game/ability to run an offensive system.

2.) Not sure he will ever even be able to be "adequate" defensively, whereas Curry when he's locked in can be a slight plus defender at his best and neutral more often than not.

Doncic is a bonafide stud though. That dude is going to be in the 27-7-7 club by his 3rd or 4th year. He can win an MVP in this league. He's really special. Really really special. Hasn't even begun to tap into his physical potential...that will come with years of NBA Strength and Conditioning+Diet. He's doing it all with skill which is mighty impressive. Dallas hit a grand slam there.

I don't care how bad they had us bent over the barrel, superstars don't grow on trees. Should've sold the farm for Doncic.

The Mav's don't own their first round pick next draft do they? I would trade DSJ to someone for one asap, he doesn't fit with Luka and they need more talent around him.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."