• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Collin Sexton | The Young Bull

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Resolves First?

• Collin Sexton's Restricted Free Agency

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Baker Mayfield's Tenure with the Browns

Votes: 30 61.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's easy to jump on the vets as being in the wrong because most fans want to see a few traded away soon. At the heart of this, I still see a 19 year old rookie score-first point guard who allowed Denis Schröder score 28 points on over 50% from the field last night while struggling to set up teammates. He does have a lot to learn. I believe the media framed this in a certain way and it makes the vets look really bad... however there is more to the situation than a black and white good guy and bad guy. Coach Drew will have to find that grey area and make this conflict both healthy and productive.

I am a huge fan of Sexton but one area on offense he needs to work on is not stop the ball motion when the defense is not set. He needs to learn to take an action right away whether it is to pass to next motion, open guy, take the shot, or drive to the basket. When he stops the motion it allows the defense to come back at their set and we force to take a bad shot as the shot clock winds down.

nothing like a bunch of injuries to force coaches to play young guys like Sexton and Zizic more. Here’s hoping they both get to show their potential and earn permanent major roles
It’s a good injury too. Not a knee. Will not effect trade value

The vets don't hate Sexton, they hate that he was handed minutes without earning them. AND THEY SHOULD BE.

It's bad practice to not make young guys earn their minutes in some capacity. Be it benchmarks reached in practice, playing well in small sample sizes, being in the film room.. who knows, but something. The coach needs to provide a pathway for a rookie to earn his PT, and the rookie needs to prove he gets it, and does the right things. As you play smarter in limited role, your role will increase.

Pretty simple, keeps your vets happy, keeps your rookie focused, and gives your team best shots at winning.
Players on a 1 and 10 team with several players that have one foot in the grave in thier nba careers are mad that the 8th pick in the draft is getting minutes and you side with them?

I am sorry your dream of 22 wins with washed up vets may not be fulfilled because we are playing a lottery pick and letting him learn on the spot. You need to step back and realize 90 percent of these vets are long gone in 6 to 18 months, if not all of them.i don’t care what they think or feel, nor should you if you had any idea what was going on.

Last edited:
I predicted fringe of playoffs for this team.

It's easy to jump on the vets as being in the wrong because most fans want to see a few traded away soon. At the heart of this, I still see a 19 year old rookie score-first point guard who allowed Denis Schröder score 28 points on over 50% from the field last night while struggling to set up teammates. He does have a lot to learn. I believe the media framed this in a certain way and it makes the vets look really bad... however there is more to the situation than a black and white good guy and bad guy. Coach Drew will have to find that grey area and make this conflict both healthy and productive.

They have a problem with Sexton. He needed to stay in college longer, and develop more there before transitioning to the pros. He's really unpolished. So much so that any physical tools he has seem almost entirely masked by his inexperience and hesitance. Normally, young, athletic guys are prone to being brash and making mistakes of commission. He seems like someone who is overwhelmed and confused as to what he ought to be doing out there. Sound like a rookie point guard? Sure. It's the position seemingly hardest to pick up in the NBA, but he's not even doing what I expect rookies to do - play to the strengths they know they have already and often overdo it so that the vets know exactly how to deal with them. He's lost out there. He looks like 10 games into his pro career that he's already psychologically damaged. I hope they can straighten this stuff out. He was supposed to be a tough kid. Maybe I'm perceiving things incorrectly.

I will have more to say on Sexton, when he is put in the proper position to contribute.

Same here. I'm just looking for hopeful signs or red flags at this point.

I watch a lot of other teams and players and see a lot of the mistakes and general cluelessness in other younger players/rookies. Ayton (20 years old) has all of the physical tools but looks completely lost at times and even looks looks slow or lazy. Doesn't mean he won't end up being a great player. He is on a mess of a team right now which contributes to his confusion on the court.

Sexton is 19 and raw yet and playing within a messy team situation also. This is why I hate the Love injury. It helps the draft position but there is nobody that is a stabilizing factor in the offense - nobody really to play off of.

While I agree the lack of assist numbers with Sexton is a red flag, it needs an asterisk given the other personnel on the floor. Most of them can't shoot, others are never in position for a pass because they don't even know what that is given their ball hog nature (Clarkson). There is no spacing whatsoever for similar reasons which makes it much more difficult to pass (part of Cedi's passing turnover problem).

Two hopeful signs stats wise are Sexton's free throw attempts and his FT% which bodes well for his shooting in the future. A thing that doesn't show up in stats that to me is very important in a player is if they have the motor to compete night in and night out and Sexton has it.

They have a problem with Sexton. He needed to stay in college longer, and develop more there before transitioning to the pros. He's really unpolished. So much so that any physical tools he has seem almost entirely masked by his inexperience and hesitance. Normally, young, athletic guys are prone to being brash and making mistakes of commission. He seems like someone who is overwhelmed and confused as to what he ought to be doing out there. Sound like a rookie point guard? Sure. It's the position seemingly hardest to pick up in the NBA, but he's not even doing what I expect rookies to do - play to the strengths they know they have already and often overdo it so that the vets know exactly how to deal with them. He's lost out there. He looks like 10 games into his pro career that he's already psychologically damaged. I hope they can straighten this stuff out. He was supposed to be a tough kid. Maybe I'm perceiving things incorrectly.

I think alot of what you are seeing is a PG that is asked to play off the ball and trying to make the most of his limited possessions because he is playing with a ball hog in Clarkson and now JR.

He really should have been given control of the second unit even if he played less minutes. Hill's injury will hopefully allow Sexton to play of an true PG role. We just have to hope the guys around him can stay healthy so they don't have to insert Clarkson to play with him for the bulk of his minutes.

Thank you.

Good teams even in down years are able to build a rookie up without just throwing him to the wolves and seeing what happens. I think the Cavs issue is more systemic than the vets v the rook/young guys. There's no culture of doing things the right way at any level. Even in the best year (2016) the bad habits of the team/organization were on full display throughout the season, and nearly culminated into a 4-1 Finals loss but for absolutely heroic efforts from the two best basketball players on the court in that series.

Thank you.

Good teams even in down years are able to build a rookie up without just throwing him to the wolves and seeing what happens. I think the Cavs issue is more systemic than the vets v the rook/young guys. There's no culture of doing things the right way at any level. Even in the best year (2016) the bad habits of the team/organization were on full display throughout the season, and nearly culminated into a 4-1 Finals loss but for absolutely heroic efforts from the two best basketball players on the court in that series.

The organization especially under Lue didn't develop anyone properly. For Sexton, they really should have spent the off-season building up the playbook and these early games they should have had plays to have him run for everyone else on the floor. Slowly letting him pick his spots to score when plays break down or a counter shot/move in his game opened up in the play.

Players on a 1 and 10 team with several players that have one foot in the grave in thier nba careers are mad that the 8th in the draft is getting minutes and you side with them?

8th overall/28th overall/54th overall/undrafted.. I don't care, play smart, earn time. If you make rookies think they are entitled to minutes by where they were drafted, you'll never get their bad habits corrected.

Your dream of playing young guys regardless of what they can contribute makes Anthony Bennett a 38 minute a night disaster.

In a perfect world, you have a solid vet who plays smart playing in front of your rookie who ultimately should be someone your young guy can overcome by mid-season. (and if he beats him out earlier, great)

People think you don't learn by sitting, I say you don't learn by playing poorly without consequence.

They had the right dynamic set (Hill starts, Sexton backs up), the problem is they probably needed a 3rd PG for when Sexton was stinking up his defensive assignments, blowing easy passes and missing open shots while Hill needed rest.

That all said, I'm feeling a little bit better on Collin after OKC game. He was horrible on defense, and he still frustrates with his unwillingness to make the right pass, but he finally flashed some.

As soon as he was in the starting lineup he looked significantly better. He was aggressive and getting past his man. As soon as JR and Clarkson came in he looked worse and wasn't getting any attempts.

He can run the pick and roll and was great with Zizic. I would love for the focus of the 2nd unit be pick and roll with zizic and Sexton or start them both. I don't think the team will start them both, but that would be the smart thing to do.

Delly was so smart because he as a guard picked a big man to work the 2 man game with. He worked that out with TT and could not be kept out of the rotation because of it. He really did the same thing with Channing when he showed up in terms of the pick and pop.

Sexton needs to adopt a big, whether it is Zizic or Nance or TT and just feed them after getting to the hoop, and no one will question why is he is on the floor. Get to the hoop or get it to your big man. Very simple.

The organization especially under Lue didn't develop anyone properly. For Sexton, they really should have spent the off-season building up the playbook and these early games they should have had plays to have him run for everyone else on the floor. Slowly letting him pick his spots to score when plays break down or a counter shot/move in his game opened up in the play.

I have no idea of the inner-workings of Ty Lue's playbook.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."