• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Indians 2018-2019 Offseason Outlook

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Kluber's 2017 and 2018 were utterly horrendous in the post-season. I just don't know how you level set on that when talking WS. We literally have zero percent chance to win a world series if Kluber pitches like he has the last 2 years. He has just not been the same, late in the year, since we ran his ass in to the ground in 2016.

Numbers aside, there is also a downward trend in his velocity chart, that to me, is more concerning. His regular season numbers dipped but were still very good but a 4th year of velocity decline is something I would really be worried about, given how many mistakes he made in the zone, most notably in the playoffs. His fastball is notably down.

kluber-velo.png

I think it's a really tough decision. I personally think the time is right to move on from him, if you can get back cost controlled assets like Andujar +.....but I may be in the minority. I love Kluber but we are just blocked by better teams right now. I think our path to a WS is 2 years out and we should be making moves with that in mind. I just don't see how this current roster has much of a chance and we should have enough pitching flowing through the system to make it work (on a 2 year track).

This is one of the reasons why I am okay with moving him and cause of his contract, even if he struggles before the end of the contract, it will be easy for teams to get out of it, so its not a very risky trade for the other teams in that sense. I am thinking if a team offers what we want, we trade Kluber, if they don't then we still have a solid Ace with good numbers and an easy to manage contract, so either way he is a win for us.

Neil Ramirez is projected to make 1.3 this year via arbitration, not sure if we are keeping him to be honest. I know he had some good points in the year, but honestly I am not sure if he is worth keeping for that much, when I feel we can find his production for less normally.

Last edited:
I doubt this dude is sitting in the room when Brian Cashman is on the phone, but the Yankees will eventually put either Andujar or Florian on the table. It’s far too early for any team to put their best offer forward.
Right. If they land Machado, I'm sure Andujar would then be put on the table but they can't do it now

I’ve got a source that says Machado is a lock to NYY, for what it’s worth.

Also, Yu Chang is absolutely a candidate to start at 3B if Donaldson is not resigned.

Also, Yu Chang is absolutely a candidate to start at 3B if Donaldson is not resigned.
Yoooo my dude Yu Chang do it!!!! I definitely wanna see him play with the Indians. Wish he was a OF.

Kluber's 2017 and 2018 were utterly horrendous in the post-season. I just don't know how you level set on that when talking WS. We literally have zero percent chance to win a world series if Kluber pitches like he has the last 2 years. He has just not been the same, late in the year, since we ran his ass in to the ground in 2016.

Numbers aside, there is also a downward trend in his velocity chart, that to me, is more concerning. His regular season numbers dipped but were still very good but a 4th year of velocity decline is something I would really be worried about, given how many mistakes he made in the zone, most notably in the playoffs. His fastball is notably down.

kluber-velo.png

I think it's a really tough decision. I personally think the time is right to move on from him, if you can get back cost controlled assets like Andujar +.....but I may be in the minority. I love Kluber but we are just blocked by better teams right now. I think our path to a WS is 2 years out and we should be making moves with that in mind. I just don't see how this current roster has much of a chance and we should have enough pitching flowing through the system to make it work (on a 2 year track).

It's tough because you see a guy who had a fantastic season, finished 3rd in the Cy Young, won 20 games, and we've seen him dominate in the playoff before (2016). But he just hasn't been the same guy in his last 3 postseason starts. I chalked up 2017 to him hiding an injury, but this year he was healthy and even had additional rest. Had the Indians pushed the ALDS to a Game 5, with Carrasco and Kluber both available, I would have gone with Carrasco in a heartbeat (although I am confident Tito would've went Kluber).

The question then becomes, how do you deal him and improve your chances of winning a title? I think there are two ways.

#1 - You target young, controllable hitters to add thump to your lineup so you don't have to win every playoff game 2-1.
#2 - You build another dominant bullpen, like they had in 2016.

So how do you get both?

That's the question the Indians have to answer. One option is committing to Salazar in the bullpen and signing another top arm (Familia, Herrera, etc), and pairing them with Hand to form a three-headed monster. You could theoretically deal Kluber to the Dodgers, Yankees, or Braves for some bats and young arms.

In the end though, I think the Indians will try to find a taker on Kipnis, slow play free agency, and add one or two bats in February or March on discounted 1 year deals. I think we'll hear a lot of rumors, but I think they'll hold their rotation together one more year in the end.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."