• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Collin Sexton | The Young Bull

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Resolves First?

• Collin Sexton's Restricted Free Agency

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Baker Mayfield's Tenure with the Browns

Votes: 30 61.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel like he’s been showing small, steady signs of improvement each game for the past two or so weeks. Obviously you’d hope and expect that to be the case for any rookie, but considering what we heard from the vets (aka Tristan and JR) it seemed like he might not care enough to improve

I think they were bothered by the fact that he wasn't mad about losing. Collin to me seems like a guy you can depend on in the clutch where he doesn't get high or low. After he missed that game winning shot, he was just like,"I am going to get it next time". I like his cold-blooded attitude, and the fact he doesn't sulk and moves on, but I can see why that might rub vets the wrong way especially when he is a bad defender right now.

I am pretty happy where Sexton is right now. I get the sense some are trying to compare him to what we saw from KI his rookie year which is going to leave a lot of people disappointment. He was not the first overall pick, and most players who are 1 and done in college that are not the 1st/2nd overall pick tend to take time to adapt to the game and grow into a NBA body. The kid is only 19 years old and is the 11th youngest player in the NBA right now. He is definitively going to have some limitation with his height on defense, but he does have the quickness and athleticism to be an above average defender if he puts the time and effort into it. I hope when Hill comes back we bring Hill off the bench or move Hood to the bench, I think it is important to let Sexton to cont to start, he has looked a lot better with starter quality players around him.

disregard the quick hands. It's not entirely true.

The issue is probably more about the defensive IQ. He doesn't play the passing lanes and he doesn't understand angles very well.
You’re just belief confirming at this point.

The issue is only this: he’s young, raw, and still learning. Anything else is a reach. There are no inherent problems in his game that I see, except for those things that he can only learn by continuing to play and develop.

Last edited:
I think they were bothered by the fact that he wasn't mad about losing. Collin to me seems like a guy you can depend on in the clutch where he doesn't get high or low. After he missed that game winning shot, he was just like,"I am going to get it next time". I like his cold-blooded attitude, and the fact he doesn't sulk and moves on, but I can see why that might rub vets the wrong way especially when he is a bad defender right now.
I think this is a great point. Sexton just doesn't seem like he is affected by losing. Doesn't mean he likes it, but he doesn't sulk or get overly emotional. He just goes backs and keeps working hard to get better. He realizes that this is a process - that growth takes time and will include bumps along the road. That steadiness can serve him well down the line.

Hard not to like his work ethic. He doesn't expect to just be given things and isn't coming in with an attitude that he's owed anything.

We'll see if he can keep up those numbers he's posted as a starter and improve in some areas (turnovers would be a good one).

I think this is a great point. Sexton just doesn't seem like he is affected by losing. Doesn't mean he likes it, but he doesn't sulk or get overly emotional. He just goes backs and keeps working hard to get better. He realizes that this is a process - that growth takes time and will include bumps along the road. That steadiness can serve him well down the line.

Hard not to like his work ethic. He doesn't expect to just be given things and isn't coming in with an attitude that he's owed anything.

We'll see if he can keep up those numbers he's posted as a starter and improve in some areas (turnovers would be a good one).

I hate seeing turnovers, but it is the area basically every rookie improves. I think he is already learning what he can do and where he can go on the court in the NBA. He will get those turnovers down. Really a common theme with Cedi, Zizic, and Sexton. When they don't turn the ball over the look great. When they do...

His midrange drive-and-pull-up sure looks like an awkward heave, but it is all in one motion and super quick and seemingly pretty damn accurate...Also a few nice passes to wide open guys who bricked shots tonight.

I love Sexton's shooting accuracy so far, but is it wrong to want a PG who can notch more than 2 assists per night? Granted, it's still early, but his AST% is microscopic. If I had time to look up the rookie AST%'s for the top 30 passing PGs in the league, I'm fairly certain that few or none had such a low output. Not trying to rain on the love fest in here -- just thought this should be discussed more.

I mean, he is a point guard, after all.

I love Sexton's shooting accuracy so far, but is it wrong to want a PG who can notch more than 2 assists per night? Granted, it's still early, but his AST% is microscopic. If I had time to look up the rookie AST%'s for the top 30 passing PGs in the league, I'm fairly certain that few or none had such a low output. Not trying to rain on the love fest in here -- just thought this should be discussed more.

I think it's more on the coaches to get Sexton the assists by drawing up plays for him to run. Right now there isn't much of an offense. JR is trying to run plays for Nance and TT, hopefully those type of stuff will fall on Sexton to do when Cedi is back in to the starting unit and JR is out.

Opening up the playbook to get alley-ops and easy dunks for our bigs will allow Sexton to open up his game at the rim. Right now whenever he drives everyone knows he is looking to score for himself. The threat to hit one of our bigs will give him space and give him counter shots to work on.

Right now he seems to be just figuring out things he can work on by himself. He started working on that shot high off the glass today. We have yet to see some real plays for him to run. Ideally we should be seeing him running a couple new plays each game where he runs action for other players which leads to a pass.

I think he would be getting like 8 assists a game if people actually made open shots. It's a miracle anyone gets an assist in this offense the way we play. But he does make good passes.

He's third on the team in 'Potential Assists' (pass that could've led to an assist if the player made the shot) per game (behind George Hill and Kevin Love (limited playing time)) at 5.1 (this was before the Wizards game, which won't change the number much, he had several potential assists in it from what I saw). That number seems to be trending up (since he's started and Hill has been out, it's at 7.5 potential assists per game (not counting the Wizards game) which would be the highest on the team).

He makes 35 passes a game (53 since he's started (again, not including the Wizards game)). He potentially generates an assist 15% of all passes he makes. Not a super high ratio, but acceptable for the time being (last year, rookie De'Aaron Fox had a 16.9% pass to pot. assist ratio, though he passed it about 15 more times a game than Collin).

He's shared the court with ball dominant players (Jordan Clarkson: 28% usage rate) for a large portion of the season. The Cavs don't have much of an offensive system in place. He's 19 and heavy playmaking through passing hasn't been a huge part of his game up to this point. Don't wanna make excuses for Young Bull in this regard, but I'm not alarmed by this facet of his game as of now.

Nance and TT at the top of the key frantically trying to hand the ball off to ANYBODY, while guys struggle to get open with ZERO off ball screens isn’t a designed play? It’s early but somehow there are 9 worse offensive teams in the league and two of them are Boston and Houston...yikes.

The team plays like an expansion team with guys who have never met and are just winging with no practice. JR and Sexton hate each other and can’t even fake it which I find amusing. JR visibly threw his hands up in disgust when he felt like Sexton didn’t call out a play. Pure speculation here, but maybe the vets hated Sexton’s draft day interview in which he was baited into into making a pitch for LeBron to stay in Cleveland. Maybe they caught feelings about the “missing a piece” comment coming from an unknown rookie.

His midrange drive-and-pull-up sure looks like an awkward heave, but it is all in one motion and super quick and seemingly pretty damn accurate...Also a few nice passes to wide open guys who bricked shots tonight.

I'm glad his shots are going in but even with him shooting so well it's like a surprise when the ball goes in based that heave motion of his: weird as hell but if it keeps going it's the same points either way. Just nagging me that I'm not sure how his consistency will be long term

He's coming along. I was worried about Sexton because he seemingly lacked 1 real go-to high level NBA skill, but he's developing what looks like a more reliable set shot from 3, and the in-between game is solid. His handle is a little loose at times, his assist numbers are not great, but he seems to get guys the ball in good spots, nobody is confusing him for Jason Kidd.

I'm starting to get a little bullish on the young bull. I like that after the tail-whipping by the Bobcats and Tony Parker basically welcoming Sexton to the NBA rather rudely, Collin came back on Parker (and Walker) and flipped the script, and he didn't shy away at all on Wall the next night.

I do think there's some "This is what we traded Kyrie for?" feelings. That's hard to get over. I mean, Irving is a truly special talent who was under team control for two more full seasons. At the time the rumors started, I thought that the Cavs had to get back Tatum to make the deal or at least Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier. eh.. water under the bridge.

Anywho, Sexton: yay. Rest of team last night: boo.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."