• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Thank You, Urban Meyer

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urban's most impressive accomplishment at Ohio State?

• Total voters
So, the surgery in 2014. The constant doctor visits over the years. The visible pain on the sideline. Etc...all fake?

No - he may have physical issues even say pretty severe headaches of some sort (migraines, myofascial pain). Without access to his actual doctor visits can't really tell you what I would diagnose him with.

What I'm very confident about is that arachnoid cyst means close to next to nothing. We see these things all the time on imaging. Because they are present in a lot of individuals when you scan people (say for headaches) then you find these things and people get worried because it looks frightening when people see their scans. However, multiple studies have shown it's an incidental findings and it's extremely rare that that the arachnoid cyst is the actual true cause of their symptoms - these type of cysts are present in about 1-5% of population and are symptomatic only about 5% of the time and when they're symptomatic it's thought to be mostly in children. For adults these essentially these are fluid filled sacks that build up over decades and are just sitting there basically doing nothing for someone to find them when they get scanned for another reason. Think of it like a lipoma or mole on your skin: yeah it's there but not doing anything bad

So what happens is that surgical procedures to drain these things don't "work" as the cyst was not the cause of the symptoms in the first place (because stress is probably a bigger trigger for his headaches) and that when you drain them they come back because it's just a fluid filled sack. Could it have been in a really weird location which is rare for these thing where it was causing - maybe but I've seen enough of these cases thru the years where 90% of the time these things are done because the family presses some pliable neurosurgeon to do the drainage. It's interesting is it not that he had the surgery in 2014 and he was still having problems?

Last edited:
Dude is in late 50's, rich as fuck and gets pain from stress.

Coaching anywhere in Division 1 college is extremely stressful job, much less a top 10 job like OSU.

He doesn't need the money, he doesn't need the stress, thus he doesn't need the job.

Not saying the cyst is life threatening, I am not a Dr or even his Dr, but I do I have seen him bent over in pain on the sidelines and I am not an OSU fan like you guys. I feel bad for him, hell of a coach but health is more important.

Coaching and sport is a disease though. The guys that reach the peaks Meyer has reached need it in their lives.

This was never about money......he made over $25 million dollars at Florida alone and he had a cushy ESPN gig that paid him more money than he needed....it's just about that itch that only coaching can scratch. Chris Fowler has mentioned this multiple times (via stories about his time there as an analyst)......Meyer's uncontrollable desire to coach.

If I were betting, I imagine he'll coach again. He's only 54. Saban is 67. Meyer is a lifetime away from being "too old". Obviously, things can change...his health could get worse but assuming he has time away to re-charge, his family is supportive and he is given the right opportunity, I think he'd coach again. He exited once on similar terms and came back 12 months later.

Didn't he make some kind of promise to his wife that he would stop coaching if he had anymore medical issues?

Gonna miss him. Really grew to like Urban. Seeing him at OSU was an experience these past 7 years.

Hope he stays retired though and works an admin role.

QPtm4i

7-0 against a rival is insane. Thank you Urban. 7 years flew by.

T8WxrZ

Cant choose between 7-0 and the 2014 inaugural CFB playoff Nat ship.

7-0 vs TTUN is legendary.

Whooping Alabama and Oregon...also legendary.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see him come out of retirement for one last coaching gig.

That being said, sign me up for winning the inaugural CFP Championship as my favorite achievement of his, as much as I love seeing scUM get beaten like a drum year in and year out.

Cant choose between 7-0 and the 2014 inaugural CFB playoff Nat ship.

7-0 vs TTUN is legendary.

Whooping Alabama and Oregon...also legendary.
That was a tough call...but ultimately I went with the Natty.

7-0 vs Michigan is unreal...but we did see Tressel go 9-1.

The 2014 run is unlike anything we've ever seen or will ever see again. 3rd string QB. 59-0. Beat Saban/Bama. Crushed Oregon. All of which resulted in the Inaugural College Football Playoff National Championship.

That was a tough call...but ultimately I went with the Natty.

7-0 vs Michigan is unreal...but we did see Tressel go 9-1.

The 2014 run is unlike anything we've ever seen or will ever see again. 3rd string QB. 59-0. Beat Saban/Bama. Crushed Oregon. All of which resulted in the Inaugural College Football Playoff National Championship.

Beating Alabama was so GD satisfying after living through the "SEC is so much greater and faster" era.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see him come out of retirement for one last coaching gig.

That being said, sign me up for winning the inaugural CFP Championship as my favorite achievement of his, as much as I love seeing scUM get beaten like a drum year in and year out.

For all the talk about Michigan, I still root for any Big Ten team over any SEC team. For that matter, I root for Big Ten teams against anyone except my alma mater. So as nice as it is to win the Michigan game, absolutely destroying Alabama (in particular) and Oregon was the pinnacle.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."