• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 NFL SEASON Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I went 4/4 last week, expect to even that out with a big ZERO.
Boys
Saints
Pats
Chiefs

why do I get a sense of dread that we're going to be force fed Colts-Patriots for the 50th time this decade?

why do I get a sense of dread that we're going to be force fed Colts-Patriots for the 50th time this decade?

Welp, Chargers not allowed to win if colts win Saturday bc Chargers not allowed to host playoff game with nobody there so you might be right.

Welp, Chargers not allowed to win if colts win Saturday bc Chargers not allowed to host playoff game with nobody there so you might be right.

As a fan, the best match ups would be NE vs KC and NO vs LA and then KC vs NO. Those would be fun wild scoring games. Would be huge for ratings and I think would be a huge way to cap off a great ratings year for the NFL.

Chiefs
Saints
Rams
Chargers

Chiefs-Colts is the closest game to me. Colts have a mismatch in the sense that the Chiefs' defense does one thing well: pass rush. Problematically, the Colts shutdown the pass rush. I think this one will be high scoring and Chiefs eventually pull away.

I just do not see a world where the Eagles beat the Saints in the Super Dome. The Eagles' only hope is to get pressure on Drew Brees and force him to turn the ball over. Even if they do, I am taking Brees, because he'll pick apart Philly's horrendous secondary.

Rams have struggled lately, but I think that's an "end of the season" thing. They have run less high-contact runs for Gurley, and that's vital to McVay's play action. Cowboys' have a really strong defense, and they'll probably mixup coverages to confuse Goff, but I don't know how they stop LAR's play action. LAR also gets enough pressure via Donald and Suh that Prescott will need to make a lot of quick reads. I am just not sure if that will happen.

I get that Pats are the common pick... but their offense is predictable They run or play action 90% of the plays Sony Michel is in the game. Chargers will use a lot of pressure combined with a crazy number of defensive backs to force Brady to throw quickly and out of the shotgun. My guess is Chargers win this and by a lot.

If its snowing, I give the Chargers zero chance.

It's going to be harder to get to Brady. And if they can't get pressure on Brady, they'll get shredded.

I'm actually the most confident the Pats win of all the games being played this week.

Then again, I was dead wrong last week. So Pats probably get destroyed.

I think Colts are going to beat the Chiefs.

I got the Rams and Saints moving on.

My SB is Saints over the Patriots.

Chiefs
Saints
Rams
Chargers

Chiefs-Colts is the closest game to me. Colts have a mismatch in the sense that the Chiefs' defense does one thing well: pass rush. Problematically, the Colts shutdown the pass rush. I think this one will be high scoring and Chiefs eventually pull away.

I just do not see a world where the Eagles beat the Saints in the Super Dome. The Eagles' only hope is to get pressure on Drew Brees and force him to turn the ball over. Even if they do, I am taking Brees, because he'll pick apart Philly's horrendous secondary.

Rams have struggled lately, but I think that's an "end of the season" thing. They have run less high-contact runs for Gurley, and that's vital to McVay's play action. Cowboys' have a really strong defense, and they'll probably mixup coverages to confuse Goff, but I don't know how they stop LAR's play action. LAR also gets enough pressure via Donald and Suh that Prescott will need to make a lot of quick reads. I am just not sure if that will happen.

I get that Pats are the common pick... but their offense is predictable They run or play action 90% of the plays Sony Michel is in the game. Chargers will use a lot of pressure combined with a crazy number of defensive backs to force Brady to throw quickly and out of the shotgun. My guess is Chargers win this and by a lot.

I think weather conditions will be play a factor.

I just don't know if I can see Rivers beating Brady. I still think Brady is a better QB by a large margin, personally.

I think old Bill is going to bait him into at least one pick. And if its cold and windy, then Rivers throwing the ball is going to be ugly.

That plays into the Patriots big time. It covers their holes in the defense.

And on the other side of the ball, its going to be harder to get to Brady is its slippery out there.

If the weather isn't that bad, well that's different.

Biggest question is Gronk going to be Gronk, or is he just done. If he shows up suddenly I just don't see it.

Gronk can open up the offense. Guys like Edelman, Dorsett, I don't even know their other guys. They're not great, but can get open seams if Gronk starts looking like Gronk.

But if the Chargers can put single coverage on him, and still looks meh. That's a big deal.

You can pin your ears back and go after Brady all day long. Because none of their skill players on the outside are going to burn you.

I am rooting for the Chargers. This is Rivers one chance to get to the SB. You got to pull for a guy like him. I like him, personally.

He has one tall task. Beat Brady in his building. I don't care how old and washed up he's looked.

He's looked washed up in and out all year. But still outplayed Mahomes in his building to win. So, he's still dangerous.

I just hope the weather isn't shitty tomorrow. I just think it favors NE too much. Those fuckers can't get that lucky.

I think weather conditions will be play a factor.

I just don't know if I can see Rivers beating Brady. I still think Brady is a better QB by a large margin, personally.

I think old Bill is going to bait him into at least one pick. And if its cold and windy, then Rivers throwing the ball is going to be ugly.

That plays into the Patriots big time. It covers their holes in the defense.

And on the other side of the ball, its going to be harder to get to Brady is its slippery out there.

If the weather isn't that bad, well that's different.

Biggest question is Gronk going to be Gronk, or is he just done. If he shows up suddenly I just don't see it.

Gronk can open up the offense. Guys like Edelman, Dorsett, I don't even know their other guys. They're not great, but can get open seams if Gronk starts looking like Gronk.

But if the Chargers can put single coverage on him, and still looks meh. That's a big deal.

You can pin your ears back and go after Brady all day long. Because none of their skill players on the outside are going to burn you.
So the Chargers run a lot of zone coverage with safeties replacing linebackers. Last week, they used six or more defensive backs in a Cover 3, effectively daring the Ravens to pass, but Baltimore just kept with the "run or die" strategy and could not get it going.

My guess is the Chargers do something similar but with a Cover 1, which means they dare the Patriots to run. The problem for the Chargers is that, unlike the Ravens, if the holes are there to run then the Patriots will attack them. In many ways I do not think this comes down to Brady vs. Rivers.

If the Chargers' line cannot stop the Patriots running game, and this lets Brady use the play action, then it is game over. But, if LAC can stop the Patriots running game while playing a lot of defensive backs, then I think this will be a long day for New England. My gut is the latter happens, but I guess we'll see.

So the Chargers run a lot of zone coverage with safeties replacing linebackers. Last week, they used six or more defensive backs in a Cover 3, effectively daring the Ravens to pass, but Baltimore just kept with the "run or die" strategy and could not get it going.

My guess is the Chargers do something similar but with a Cover 1, which means they dare the Patriots to run. The problem for the Chargers is that, unlike the Ravens, if the holes are there to run then the Patriots will attack them. In many ways I do not think this comes down to Brady vs. Rivers.

If the Chargers' line cannot stop the Patriots running game, and this lets Brady use the play action, then it is game over. But, if LAC can stop the Patriots running game while playing a lot of defensive backs, then I think this will be a long day for New England. My gut is the latter happens, but I guess we'll see.

More curious how the Pats defense holds up against the Chargers. I don't think they match up that well at all. But if the weather is shitty, it's a completely different game.

Chargers got weapons that can exploit the Pats secondary. I think Gilmore is overrated and have no idea how he even made a pro bowl.

I never thought he was that good going back to his Buffalo days. Super talented, but very inconsistent.

More curious how the Pats defense holds up against the Chargers. I don't think they match up that well at all. But if the weather is shitty, it's a completely different game.

Chargers got weapons that can exploit the Pats secondary. I think Gilmore is overrated and have no idea how he even made a pro bowl.

I never thought he was that good going back to his Buffalo days. Super talented, but very inconsistent.
Phillip Rivers has been outstanding under pressure this season... I just do not know how sustainable that is. But the weather will make it more difficult for the Patriots to get pressure without blitzing. Chargers' offense should be able to exploit that.

I'm excited for this slate of games. The only one I really think will be a blowout is Saints-Eagles. The other three should be close.

Phillip Rivers has been outstanding under pressure this season... I just do not know how sustainable that is. But the weather will make it more difficult for the Patriots to get pressure without blitzing. Chargers' offense should be able to exploit that.

I'm excited for this slate of games. The only one I really think will be a blowout is Saints-Eagles. The other three should be close.

You're right the Chargers line is good, and the Pats are one of the worst at getting pressure.

Match up wise, the Pats don't match up great. Hell, if this was in LA, I don't think it'd even be a contest. I think the Pats would get destroyed.

The only advantage they have is the coach, HOF experience in Brady, and that building.

They just play different at home and I think it affects other teams psyche. That's why you need a fearless team like the Ravens.

Chargers got to go in believing they can beat them and not play intimated. If they play intimated, they'll lose.

Rivers can't turn the ball over though. He's always been one to force throws. I thought last week he played GREAT. Numbers didn't look like it, but he was going against a great defense.

He doesn't have to play that careful, because the Pats defense sucks. He just can't get baited into making that one or two bad throws.

I'd do something similar if I'm the Chargers that they did last week. Play Bosa at DT at times and get pressure up the middle on Brady.

Chargers secondary is really good. The only X factor though is Gronk. He's gotten two weeks to maybe resemble his old self. If he's right, it changes everything.

You're right the Chargers line is good, and the Pats are one of the worst at getting pressure.

Match up wise, the Pats don't match up great. Hell, if this was in LA, I don't think it'd even be a contest. I think the Pats would get destroyed.

The only advantage they have is the coach, HOF experience in Brady, and that building.

They just play different at home and I think it affects other teams psyche. That's why you need a fearless team like the Ravens.

Chargers got to go in believing they can beat them and not play intimated. If they play intimated, they'll lose.

Rivers can't turn the ball over though. He's always been one to force throws. I thought last week he played GREAT. Numbers didn't look like it, but he was going against a great defense.

He doesn't have to play that careful, because the Pats defense sucks. He just can't get baited into making that one or two bad throws.

I'd do something similar if I'm the Chargers that they did last week. Play Bosa at DT at times and get pressure up the middle on Brady.

Chargers secondary is really good. The only X factor though is Gronk. He's gotten two weeks to maybe resemble his old self. If he's right, it changes everything.
Agreed on Gronk... Also, BB is just a much better coach than Anthony Lynn. I think that's the biggest advantage the Patriots will have.

Colts I think just has too much momentum. Chiefs only strength is on defense is getting after the QB. In the past, this would disrupt the Colts.

But Luck is older and wiser. Gets rid of the ball faster than he did before.

My achilles heel is the same with Luck as it is Rivers. He tends to still make high risk throws that can end up being picked.

Those throws can cost you a game like this. If the Colts are turnover free, I think they got a shot.

They will move the ball pretty easily.

I think Mahomes experiences some playoff jitters. Plays well, but just not well enough needed for his team to win.

Agree with @jking948.

This is the game I'm most uncertain of. Because if Mahomes just comes out dominates, well, their shitty defense might not matter.

This is not a great matchup for the Chiefs though.

Colts I think just has too much momentum. Chiefs only strength is on defense is getting after the QB. In the past, this would disrupt the Colts.

But Luck is older and wiser. Gets rid of the ball faster than he did before.

My achilles heel is the same with Luck as it is Rivers. He tends to still make high risk throws that can end up being picked.

Those throws can cost you a game like this. If the Colts are turnover free, I think they got a shot.

They will move the ball pretty easily.

I think Mahomes experiences some playoff jitters. Plays well, but just not well enough needed for his team to win.

Agree with @jking948.

This is the game I'm most uncertain of. Because if Mahomes just comes out dominates, well, their shitty defense might not matter.

This is not a great matchup for the Chiefs though.
Yeppp. I think this Colts team does have a good shot at winning.

I also happen to think that we underrate the Chiefs due to their end of the season, when in reality, they were injured and purposefully playing conservatively.

This really could go either way. I have no idea who will win. My gut says Chiefs but I would not be surprised if the Colts pull another win out of nowhere.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."