• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs trade for 2019 lottery protected 1st, Knight, Chriss

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I wish they would clean house before the draft. Maybe get Walton for head coach? looks like he may be on his way out of L.A

If Walton is let go, I would bring him in to interview immediately. If they decided they want him, I would convince him to come in and start coaching immediately. Drew has basically said he is done and I bet he will be happy to not be head coach anymore.

If Walton is let go, I would bring him in to interview immediately. If they decided they want him, I would convince him to come in and start coaching immediately. Drew has basically said he is done and I bet he will be happy to not be head coach anymore.
There is very good chance of him being fired, as the team has basically turned on him. The Lakers team chemistry is ruined, and there is no telling what's going on in that locker room since the Davis trade debacle. Someones gotta take the fall for that and its gonna be walton, hopefully we are there to take advantage.

Then you have nothing to say until the draft ? I love how people think GMs around the league are great and Cavs always suck. Look how many teams have never won a championship Milwaukee’s last was when they had jabbar. We won one cuz lbj was born here The “great” gms are in big market desirable cities. That being said kobi would not of f upped the Davis situation like magic did

Exactly, being able to acquire and retain top-tier UFAs is largely beyond even a very capable GM's control.

For all the mistakes OKC made that helped led to coward leaving i.e. Harden/not spending enough, which can also in a way be traced to their market, somehow the well-run franchises that are in smaller/cold metros, like Utah and Denver, were never on his radar.

LeBron is literally the one-in-a-gazillion exception of a HOF-level UFA who moved from a significantly more glamorous market to a less glamorous one while still in his prime. Retained UFAs i.e. Westbrook aren't as common as one would hope, either, or ones making essentially "lateral moves" marketwise i.e. Chauncey Billups, or effecively through demanded trades like with Paul George, Kevin Love.

I like Walton pretty well.

The other guy I like is Jerry Stackhouse. He gets guys in the Gleague to play together and is a defensive mind. Both things we really need. He has been in the league. I dunno why, but that type of glue guy as a player usually ends up a good coach. He has real coaching experience too unlike a guy like Kidd who I am not a believer in.

I would totally be fine with Walton. It hasn't been fair to him sort of like it wasn't with Blatt. I'm surprised at how pedestrian Walton's offense is. He was such a good passer and read offense so well as a player.

Stackhouse might be my favorite. Chris Fleming would be a good candidate. I also would not be averse to Becky Hammon. Probably like those three better than Walton.

Would love to throw a pile of money at Stackhouse. He played for the Pistons for a time, so Dan might be amenable.

What you guys think about the guy in my avatar returning to coach? Hey, we did it with Mike Brown, why not try that type of nonsense again?

All we have to do is compete more on both ends. It's that simple.

In all seriousness, I am very intrigued by Stackhouse as a coach. Seems to have all the tools necessary. Anyone ever watched interviews with him? He's actually a very intelligent guy on top of being a very good former basketball player.

An even stranger fact is that he has actually went out and sang the National Anthem multiple times before games...... perhaps he could sing the National Anthem for us and then coach our guys... A true do-it-all coach!

In all seriousness, I am very intrigued by Stackhouse as a coach. Seems to have all the tools necessary. Anyone ever watched interviews with him? He's actually a very intelligent guy on top of being a very good former basketball player.

An even stranger fact is that he has actually went out and sang the National Anthem multiple times before games...... perhaps he could sing the National Anthem for us and then coach our guys... A true do-it-all coach!

I really love Stackhouse. All about moving the ball, playing D, and I think really creating a solid team atmosphere, making sure guys are equipped to succeed.

That's true, but I'd almost rather just use the pick. From what I've read - because I do zero of my own "evaluation" for the draft - this draft is more deep than top-heavy. Nobody other than Zion seems a sure thing in this draft, and nobody is trading that pick to us for lower picks in this draft.

So if it's going to be a crapshoot, I'd rather just take another player. Our roster is weak enough that we're going to need more than top 3 players to fill it.

I'd perhaps be more inclined to trade it for a future pick that projects to be higher.
The Cavs also have a grand total of one player that has shown he can be a legitimate NBA starter for the next few years.

This team has a ton of holes. Adding more young players is the smart move right now. If the team had one or two clear holes, then sure, use it to trade up. But we should plan to use that Rockets pick.

The Cavs also have a grand total of one player that has shown he can be a legitimate NBA starter for the next few years.

This team has a ton of holes. Adding more young players is the smart move right now. If the team had one or two clear holes, then sure, use it to trade up. But we should plan to use that Rockets pick.

Chances are there will be an impact player drafted at pick 20 or later. History says that. Maybe not a star, but someone that can contribute in a meaningful way to a winning team. The challenge is doing the work to improve the chances that you find one of those guys with the pick. Probably worth doing an analysis to figure out indicators so you can find a Michael Redd, Paul Millsap, Carlos Boozer, etc or even an Anderson Varejao.

The truth is that you have to be both lucky and good to rise to the level of championship contender. We need to hit on some picks that aren't in the upper half of the lottery because you don't really get enough of those top picks to build a team, and there aren't always guys sitting there who are worth it. So as cynical as some fans may be about whether or not we can actually hit on other than top picks, you can't hit on picks unless you actually draft someone.

Can't get a hit if you don't swing the bat.

Last edited:
I really love Stackhouse. All about moving the ball, playing D, and I think really creating a solid team atmosphere, making sure guys are equipped to succeed.

He is a strong development coach with some head coach experience in the G League. I think he still has some player cred with players, eventhough few active players know just how good he was pre-2010. Funny that he coaches players to move the ball... definitely NOT his strength as a player in Detroit. :chuckle:

He is a strong development coach with some head coach experience in the G League. I think he still has some player cred with players, eventhough few active players know just how good he was pre-2010. Funny that he coaches players to move the ball... definitely NOT his strength as a player in Detroit. :chuckle:

Yean. Primary reason I never dreamed of having him in Cleveland during the first LeBron era. But who we aspire to be and who we are are often two different things. Wouldn't be surprised if Stackhouse looks back and realizes that was a hole in his game. Just seems like a guy that stresses two-way accountability.

I would feel pretty good if the Cavs were able to land him as head coach.

It's far more important that we get the player we want with our pick, vs. trying to fill multiple roster holes in year one of a 4-5 year re-build.

I'll use a hypothetical to frame it. Let's assume Zion and Ja go 1/2.....and the Cavs have the #4 pick. The team with #3 is open to trading it for #4 and #21. I'd rather start with Barrett in a trade up than Reddish and PJ Washington in a stay put scenario.

People can talk all they want about impact players being drafted in the 20's or later.....it literally happens 1 out of 50 times (probably even generous). Most are middling role players or out of the NBA in a few years. Holding on to a pick for a 2% chance at a meaningful player is not a good use of draft capital, IF that 2% chance can be traded in for a player you think is more likely to become an All-Star or franchise talent.

Once you get 1A and 1B in a rebuild, that is when you become far, far more strict with the use of your draft capital...because you want to retain your flexibility if a super star hits the trade block....or to add cheap role players around them. Until then, you need to make decisions based on acquiring a best and second best player on a title team. Having a bunch of extra role players, at the expense of a prospect you think is more talented, is just not a winning strategy in basketball.

I'm not saying trade it just to trade it....but if we are in a tier cut-off scenario (the drop from Barrett to Reddish for example) and we opt to take Reddish, in order to aquire a PJ Washington of the world, that is just not a sound strategy IMO. If we are at #3 and the worst you can do is what is left of Ja, Zion, Barrett......then sure, maybe you hang on to the pick because you are comfortable with all the 1 and 2 tier options.

Last edited:
To follow up on the point above.....since the LeBron draft......players selected to 1 All-Star team pick 20 or later:

Jameer Nelson
David Lee
Rajon Rondo
Kyle Lowry
Paul Milsap
Marc Gasol
DeAndre Jordan
Goran Dragic
Jimmy Butler
Isaiah Thomas
Draymond Green
Khris Middelton
Rudy Gobert
Nikola Jokic

That was 15 drafts worth of players 20-60....or 600 draft picks. 14 out of 600 players.... 2.3% turn in to All-Stars. 3 of the 14 were foreign players that were draft and stash or taken in the second due to contract issues. A 4th foreign player was Gobert, who physically was incredibly difficult to project. But how many of those 14 are actual difference makers? I'd argue half aren't.

So yeah, it is really unlikely you get a difference making player outside of the first 15-16 selections. Does it happen? Sure......but for the most part, those players (in the range of the Houston selection) just cycle in and out of the league. But it shouldn't influence us trading the selection to secure a player at the top of the draft we covet more than someone else.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."