• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs trade for 2019 lottery protected 1st, Knight, Chriss

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
It's far more important that we get the player we want with our pick, vs. trying to fill multiple roster holes in year one of a 4-5 year re-build.

I'll use a hypothetical to frame it. Let's assume Zion and Ja go 1/2.....and the Cavs have the #4 pick. The team with #3 is open to trading it for #4 and #21. I'd rather start with Barrett in a trade up than Reddish and PJ Washington in a stay put scenario.

People can talk all they want about impact players being drafted in the 20's or later.....it literally happens 1 out of 50 times (probably even generous). Most are middling role players or out of the NBA in a few years. Holding on to a pick for a 2% chance at a meaningful player is not a good use of draft capital, IF that 2% chance can be traded in for a player you think is more likely to become an All-Star or franchise talent.

Once you get 1A and 1B in a rebuild, that is when you become far, far more strict with the use of your draft capital...because you want to retain your flexibility if a super star hits the trade block. Until then, you need to make decisions based on acquiring a best and second best player on a title team. Have a bunch of extra role players, at the expense of a prospect you think is more talented, is just not a winning strategy in basketball.

I'm not saying trade it just to trade it....but if we are in a tier cut-off scenario (the drop from Barrett to Reddish for example) and we opt to take Reddish, in order to aquire a PJ Washington of the world, that is just not a sound strategy IMO. If we are at #3 and the worst you can do is what is left of Ja, Zion, Barrett......then sure, maybe you hang on to the pick because you are comfortable with all the 1 and 2 tier options.

Yes I feel like people don't understand that the NBA draft isn't the NFL draft.

It's far more important that we get the player we want with our pick, vs. trying to fill multiple roster holes in year one of a 4-5 year re-build.

I'll use a hypothetical to frame it. Let's assume Zion and Ja go 1/2.....and the Cavs have the #4 pick. The team with #3 is open to trading it for #4 and #21. I'd rather start with Barrett in a trade up than Reddish and PJ Washington in a stay put scenario.

People can talk all they want about impact players being drafted in the 20's or later.....it literally happens 1 out of 50 times (probably even generous). Most are middling role players or out of the NBA in a few years. Holding on to a pick for a 2% chance at a meaningful player is not a good use of draft capital, IF that 2% chance can be traded in for a player you think is more likely to become an All-Star or franchise talent.

Once you get 1A and 1B in a rebuild, that is when you become far, far more strict with the use of your draft capital...because you want to retain your flexibility if a super star hits the trade block....or to add cheap role players around them. Until then, you need to make decisions based on acquiring a best and second best player on a title team. Having a bunch of extra role players, at the expense of a prospect you think is more talented, is just not a winning strategy in basketball.

I'm not saying trade it just to trade it....but if we are in a tier cut-off scenario (the drop from Barrett to Reddish for example) and we opt to take Reddish, in order to aquire a PJ Washington of the world, that is just not a sound strategy IMO. If we are at #3 and the worst you can do is what is left of Ja, Zion, Barrett......then sure, maybe you hang on to the pick because you are comfortable with all the 1 and 2 tier options.

I'd do that trade for Barret. I think the likliehood of someone trading down there is minimal tho, I have to say. Top 3 are the picks that matter this year.

If there is some we really like, we now have six second rounders to move up with.

I liked Chriss as a prospect. Has major attitude issues maybe getting traded for a 3rd time will set him straight. Doubtful but lots of untapped potential in Chriss.
I agree with untapped potential part...but he's basically a scrub at this point and wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs just waive him.
That being said, I hope they can get something out of him with true veteran leaders that have won something that he lacked on a young Phoenix roster and since he wasn't developed in Houston at all and just a throw in when they got him.
I give him a 40/60 shot at being a Cav the rest of the season, but I also don't know why he couldn't earn some second unit minutes given the tank so who knows

I'm guessing the pick lands somewhere early to mid 20's hopefully late teens. This draft has several interesting 2nd and 3rd year players with role player ceilings that could be worth the pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if a potential gem freshman falls in their lap either. Examples: Simi Shittu,Lugenzt Dort,Talen Horten-Tucker, Tyler Herro and the guy I want them to grab Jaylen Hoard

I agree with untapped potential part...but he's basically a scrub at this point and wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs just waive him.
That being said, I hope they can get something out of him with true veteran leaders that have won something that he lacked on a young Phoenix roster and since he wasn't developed in Houston at all and just a throw in when they got him.
I give him a 40/60 shot at being a Cav the rest of the season, but I also don't know why he couldn't earn some second unit minutes given the tank so who knows

As a rookie and last year as a sophmore he showed a knack for blocking shots. Something we haven't had in who knows how long is a big who can block shots.

My guess is they hope to sign him in the offseason to a lower cost deal for 2-3 years since they have Bird Rights and won't have to use the MLE to keep him.

He doesn't turn 22 until July and has only played about six years of basketball.

My guess is they hope to sign him in the offseason to a lower cost deal for 2-3 years since they have Bird Rights and won't have to use the MLE to keep him.

He doesn't turn 22 until July and has only played about six years of basketball.

I'm not sure there is room for him. I think he will have to show some promise this season. We will have 10 guaranteed contracts, at least 2 draft picks to sign and we will want to resign Nwaba. We will probably know how the team feels about Blossomgame fairly soon but I expect we will keep him. That basically leaves 1 roster for Chriss, Frye or some vet, an undrafted player, or a player using the MLE.

I'm not sure there is room for him. I think he will have to show some promise this season. We will have 10 guaranteed contracts, at least 2 draft picks to sign and we will want to resign Nwaba. We will probably know how the team feels about Blossomgame fairly soon but I expect we will keep him. That basically leaves 1 roster for Chriss, Frye or some vet, an undrafted player, or a player using the MLE.

If he can't play backup 4 we can't use him. If we draft Zion we can't use him. There are a few more of those. Hard to see how we can get something for him.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."