• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Goodbye Larry Nance Jr.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
He's very unreliable and inefficient when it comes to putting the ball into the hoop. He did show some good hustle at times, I guess that's his strongest asset. He definitely padded the hell out of his rebounding stats, snatched quite a few away from other Cavs.

He's very unreliable and inefficient when it comes to putting the ball into the hoop. He did show some good hustle at times, I guess that's his strongest asset. He definitely padded the hell out of his rebounding stats, snatched quite a few away from other Cavs.

You speak as if we have reliable and efficient scorers we could give the ball to instead :chuckle:

You speak as if we have reliable and efficient scorers we could give the ball to instead :chuckle:
No, we have a team full of players who are afraid to shoot because they know they suck. Constantly passing up wide open shots to drive into traffic in the paint, shot clock violations from playing hot potato with the ball. It's like whoever gets "stuck" with the ball when the shot clock rolls down to 5 seconds is "it".

Nance just shoots like he only touched a basketball for the first time about 3 years ago, or like he never quite has a good grip on the ball. Nwaba is one of the only guys who plays like he has any real confidence in his ability. Sexton might be starting to figure some things out. Watching Chriss calmly knock down some wide open threes was a slight breeze of fresh air.

I know Nance should shoot a 3 or dunk. His around the basket game is worse than TT. His post up game is non-existent, and he constantly dribbles the ball up but has 0 ability to penetrate and score.

He has a few bad habits he should consider retiring. I would rather give Collin those shots

I know Nance should shoot a 3 or dunk. His around the basket game is worse than TT. His post up game is non-existent, and he constantly dribbles the ball up but has 0 ability to penetrate and score.

He has a few bad habits he should consider retiring. I would rather give Collin those shots

Sure, but, big picture he doesn't typically chuck up bad shots. 15 shot attempts from him was a season high, and like half of those were missed tip attempts. If you're looking for guys taking touches away from Sexton, he shouldn't be very high on the list of suspects.

People are expecting him to be his dad too much. He's not a comparable player, and that's fine...it's not like we gave him an All-Star contract. This team is so starved for talent that it's forcing everyone to step outside of their comfortable skillset, and it shows (except Clarkson, who's right in his element, lol).

Nance is our best player, but he is fucking annoying. Bottomline.

This guy hsould be traded to a contender/good team. Don't love him on a rebuilding team.

Nance is our best player, but he is fucking annoying. Bottomline.

This guy hsould be traded to a contender/good team. Don't love him on a rebuilding team.

He knew his place on the team last year. Im just not sure he or the coaching staff have a good vision of what type of player they want to mold him into. I think most of us see him as backup PF that can play center for spot minutes when the match up dictates it. He needs a decent 3 point shot to be a PF. I think he wants to be some sort of point forward/center. I think the coaching staff want him to be a full time center, which basically means we will need another big because Nance can't stay healthy at center.

He does have good vision for a big but it's not elite and he doesn't have the complimentary aspects to really utilize it effectively. A solid post game and a solid 3 point shot would help utilize his passing more.

He knew his place on the team last year. Im just not sure he or the coaching staff have a good vision of what type of player they want to mold him into. I think most of us see him as backup PF that can play center for spot minutes when the match up dictates it. He needs a decent 3 point shot to be a PF. I think he wants to be some sort of point forward/center. I think the coaching staff want him to be a full time center, which basically means we will need another big because Nance can't stay healthy at center.

He does have good vision for a big but it's not elite and he doesn't have the complimentary aspects to really utilize it effectively. A solid post game and a solid 3 point shot would help utilize his passing more.

I think the vision was that he'd be a good fit next to Love...and at least on paper, they do have complementary skills. He can't be the only big on the court though, which is a problem if we're really going to commit to these small-ball lineups going forward.

I think the vision was that he'd be a good fit next to Love...and at least on paper, they do have complementary skills. He can't be the only big on the court though, which is a problem if we're really going to commit to these small-ball lineups going forward.

I agree he does have the skills to be a good fit next to Love. I also think if that was what they envisioned, playing PF while Love was out and working on his 3 pt shot and post game should have been the plan. If he has those things to add to his game then Love and him becomes that much harder to defend since they both have inside and outside game with rebounding. Nance also has the explosiveness for dunks and put backs but if he isn't playing inside all the time you would hope his body holds up better.

I don't hate Nance, but his post ups even against guards are terrible. Use that passing game unless you have a dunk. He doesn't have much touch

He thinks he’s way better then he is, just run the pick and roll catch some lobs, set screens and rebound. His 3 point shot is getting better which is not bad but for the rest of it he just takes too much time off the clock when he tries all this other bullshit. Can’t beleive Drew let’s him ever take the ball up or initiate offense but he’s obviously given up on coaching. Can’t wait to have a coach who actually holds people accountable.

Nance Jr. isn't an all-star by any means, but I can think of dozens of players who have all the talent/athletic gifts but none of the heart or desire. So I look at him from both glass half-empty (the bad) and glass half-full (the good).

Glass half-empty: Because he doesn't trust certain players (Sexton), tends to play buddy-ball (picking favorites with Clarkson).

Glass half-full: Can make the smartest play on the court, racking up the most assists on a team lacking real play-making (except maybe Dellavedova).

Glass half-empty: Bad shooting games, especially last night. He couldn't hit anything.

Glass half-full: He's actually +50% on field goals, usually double the distance of Zizic and Thompson (8+ feet on shots compared to the 4+ feet from the aforementioned). My guess was he had a terrible shooting night, it happens.

Glass half-empty: Taking rebounds from teammates, stat padding.

Glass half-full: Many of the games played, he's the tallest Cav on the floor (with TT/Love hurt and Zizic subbing in), so who's actually supposed to box out the other centers? And 30% of those rebounds are on the offensive glass?

Glass half-empty: He's playing too many consecutive minutes, so he's not always able to play with energy (12+ minutes through the 3rd quarter last night).

Glass half-full: On the other hand, he not only has the best Total Win Shares (3.1), Win Shares per 48 minutes (0.130), the best Box Plus/Minus (3.8), and Value over Replacement Player (1.7), but also in general the best overall player. Can't really help the games multiple players have missed with injury nor the quality of the players on the roster who have played. He's even won a game for us at the buzzer (tip-in vs. the Pacers).

We really could go much worse than with Nance Jr. No, he's not a fraction of the player his father was, but I don't see him padding his stats (a la Ricky Davis). There's hope that he could be a part of the future Cavs (when they are ready to compete again).

No reason that he needed to play 39 minutes tonight. The front office needs to set a max minutes for Nance at 30 so Drew doesn't run him into the ground again.

One of the reasons I wanted Clarkson gone was so Nance would have no choice but to play more team ball and fit into the team better. I think Nance and Clarkson are a clique on their own. JR seem to gravitate towards Clarkson when he was here and Burks seem to also play buddy ball with them.

I kind of wish we waited to pay him. He probably would be more focus on developing valuable parts of his game right now.

I used to love Nance's game - energy big that did a little bit of everything, potential great 6th or 7th man. I don't even see him taking defense seriously in the paint now and hate him running up the court with the ball only to stand at the top of the key and survey for a while. I am also surprised by the vibe he is giving off like he is better than everyone else except for Clarkson. While it may be true in some cases, just hate the attitude.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."