• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Indians 2018-2019 Offseason Outlook

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
It will be pretty big if Bauers can prove to play a competent corner OF. Would allow the Indians to target a player like Castellanos (great at the plate, awful in the field) in the summer.

My original comment was more that Carlos can play 1B/3B/Corner OF and Bauers 1B/Corner OF short term as Lindor progresses back, but certainly it'd be a huge boost if Bauers can be there full-time.

Nice to read about Bieber working hard on his change up, thought that was one pitch he needs to master in order take a huge step. This has to be like the best projected rotation ever in Indians history.

I'm expecting great starting pitching, sneaky bullpen success, and awful hitting for the first two months.

Lets hope the unknowns can be knowns this season. We need that more than anything.

I wonder why the Indians and Melky didn't have more mutual interest. Same cost as Joyce but Melky was far better in 2018. From Melky's perspective, definitely seems like more of an opportunity in Cleveland.

Padres Pursuing Mike Moustakas
By Connor Byrne | February 9, 2019 at 5:57pm CDT

The Brewers are reportedly the front-runners to sign free-agent third baseman Mike Moustakas, but they’re facing competition from at least one team. The Padres, who have prioritized finding a third baseman this offseason, are “going after” Moustakas, according to AJ Cassavell of MLB.com. San Diego first “checked in” on Moustakas earlier this winter, and Cassavell’s report indicates the club is legitimately in pursuit of the 30-year-old at this late stage of the offseason.

Padres Pursuing Mike Moustakas
By Connor Byrne | February 9, 2019 at 5:57pm CDT

The Brewers are reportedly the front-runners to sign free-agent third baseman Mike Moustakas, but they’re facing competition from at least one team. The Padres, who have prioritized finding a third baseman this offseason, are “going after” Moustakas, according to AJ Cassavell of MLB.com. San Diego first “checked in” on Moustakas earlier this winter, and Cassavell’s report indicates the club is legitimately in pursuit of the 30-year-old at this late stage of the offseason.

i doubt we are in the mix for him, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if we were. He's always been a solid 3B, but signing him puts Kipnis into the OF (but its possible Ramirez then starts at SS then Kipnis at 2nd, so who knows)

It will be pretty big if Bauers can prove to play a competent corner OF. Would allow the Indians to target a player like Castellanos (great at the plate, awful in the field) in the summer.
Jake Bauers played 65 games in the outfield in 2016 (61 in right and 4 in left). In 2017, he played 74 games in the outfield (55 in left and 19 in right). In 2018 in the minors he played 6 games (4 in left and 2 in right). While with Tampa, Bauers played 20 games in the outfield (16 in left and 4 in right). At least he has plenty of playing time in the outfield. I have no problem with him seeing playing time in the outfield.

Jake Bauers played 65 games in the outfield in 2016 (61 in right and 4 in left). In 2017, he played 74 games in the outfield (55 in left and 19 in right). In 2018 in the minors he played 6 games (4 in left and 2 in right). While with Tampa, Bauers played 20 games in the outfield (16 in left and 4 in right). At least he has plenty of playing time in the outfield. I have no problem with him seeing playing time in the outfield.

Our OF squad currently rates well in the OF defensively but it will be unknown how well they hit. I am thinking Urban is hoping he plays well defensively and offensively out there so we can go acquire the best bat available regardless if they can field or not. Luplow and Allen are both better defensively in the OF than Bauers (Luplow actually could be a Gold Glove out in LF from his past ratings and speed ratings). Bauers also likely will be limited against lefties (hence why I want another RH bat somewhere since most of the OF mix won't be effective/havent been effective against lefties)

View: https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1094794940629110785?s=19

Morosi also mentions the Indians are still looking at OFs and mentions Adam Jones and Carlos Gonzalez.

My guess is the Kluber deal had to be done before Spring Training started and since that is a weekish away, I doubt anything will happen now since other teams arent willing to pay the price the Indians are asking for with or without taking on a Kipnis in the deal as well.

I would say right now, we are going to sign a RH OF bat or two here soon, most likely to a minor league free agent deal, but who, I don't really know that answer. We got Wilson cause he has a chance to make this roster, so my guess is we are getting someone that doesn't have a MLB offer, but still has something in the tank and wants to play in the pros.

I still expect a few more signings in the next few days/week. We have gotten good production from the minor league signings of veterans so I am hoping for another offseason with that.

Props to Morosi for getting clicks every other week with the same headline "Padres and Indians talking on Kluber, but not close"

I mean there isn’t anything going on honestly with the Tribe, so I guess he has to write about something? Lol

Props to Morosi for getting clicks every other week with the same headline "Padres and Indians talking on Kluber, but not close"

At least he blew out the candle when he was done burning it.

JP knows his shit though, I’d be damn curious to know how close it came to happening.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."