• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Collin Sexton | The Young Bull

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Resolves First?

• Collin Sexton's Restricted Free Agency

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Baker Mayfield's Tenure with the Browns

Votes: 30 61.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HE SUCKS HIS CAREER IS OVER 40 GAMES IN
Yeah being on one of the worst rosters in the league that is tanking has nothing to do with his stats being average at best
I like the improvement he has made and although only the misinformed would have expected more from him in his rookie season
the same kinds of things were being said about Fox this time last year and he is a very similar trajectory / ceiling player.
If Sexton hits a wall he cannot break through in time, I'd be surprised.

Yeah being on one of the worst rosters in the league that is tanking has nothing to do with his stats being average at best
I like the improvement he has made and although only the misinformed would have expected more from him in his rookie season
the same kinds of things were being said about Fox this time last year and he is a very similar trajectory / ceiling player.
If Sexton hits a wall he cannot break through in time, I'd be surprised.
My fondest wish is, Sexton has the same improvement Mark Price had between season one and two. See link;
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pricema01.html

My fondest wish is, Sexton has the same improvement Mark Price had between season one and two. See link;
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pricema01.html

Price didn't start one game in his rookie year. He was the backup to John Bagley, playing 18 mpg. Also, Price had appendicitis his rookie season which hurt him a bit.

Collin Sexton would have been better off playing 18mpg as a backup this season.

Collin needs to become a more efficient scorer and better passer to get to Price's level. Price was also a questionable defender who was helped a LOT having first-rate shot blockers behind him (Nance and Hot Rod).

Price didn't start one game in his rookie year. He was the backup to John Bagley, playing 18 mpg. Also, Price had appendicitis his rookie season which hurt him a bit.

Collin needs to become a more efficient scorer and better passer to get to Price's level. Price was also a questionable defender who was helped a LOT having first-rate shot blockers behind him (Nance and Hot Rod).

And he was almost 3 years older and very skilled when he entered the league. Sexton is raw and nobody seems to realize it.

I think Sexton is going to be better from the hard knocks experience this season, but it can brutal to watch right now. He really needs to work on his body and taking contact at the rim. Just coming back stronger like Cedi did over the offseason would make a world of difference.

Really he has already cut down on turnovers, has been getting blocked less, is making the right pass more, and is getting up the floor fast while pushing and without the ball. He is getting better, but it's going to be incremental until he can really get an NBA body and learn to use his speed more effectively.

Watching him with Love on the floor he could get anywhere he wanted. He also did not make as many dumb mistakes as Dennis Smith Jr. I like Smith's defense better, but really I'm not convinced he ends up the better player than Sexton.

Like Mavs fans were loving smith last year, but their stats are very very similar at the same age. Smith is the better assist man and is better at steals, but Collin has him beat in every other category and by far in 3pt% and ft%.

Now Smith hasn't improved at all really this year except is shooting more from 3 on the same 31%. If Collin sees virtually no improvement by next year, which would be hard to believe as he has already improved, I will be worried for sure.

You are right, Price's story is entirely different. What I was specifically referring to is the marked improvement in the shooting percentage from year one to year two. Price went from .408 FG% to to .506 FG%. His three point shooting went from .329 % to 486 %. If Sexton could shoot like that, he'd be worth his weight in gold.

You are right, Price's story is entirely different. What I was specifically referring to is the marked improvement in the shooting percentage from year one to year two. Price went from .408 FG% to to .506 FG%. His three point shooting went from .329 % to 486 %. If Sexton could shoot like that, he'd be worth his weight in gold.
That's the extremely rare exception.goes without saying that isn't likely to happen

He's shooting better from 3 in the NBA than in college. That is pretty cool

I think what he's done since the Hood trade is mostly commendable considering the slump he was in. Still a lot of work to do. My dream is that he becomes the "OKC Harden" on a playoff Cavs team.

I think what he's done since the Hood trade is mostly commendable considering the slump he was in. Still a lot of work to do. My dream is that he becomes the "OKC Harden" on a playoff Cavs team.

I remain pretty high on Sexton
Never should have played so many mins this year but really was no choice.
That being said I think all of these mins will serve him well going into next year.
Looking forward to watching him more with Love, Cedi and Thompson at the same time. I think he will look much better.....but cavs need to be careful about wins

Kyrie Irving is 6'3. So is Sexton. Kyle Lowry is 6'1. Lowry is #2 in real defensive plus/minus. #1 is Marcus Smart, 6'4. Tyus Jones, 6'2, is 5th. Chris Paul, only 6 feet, is fourth and has generally been considered a solid defender. Sexton is recorded as 6'3. I get that he's a about 6'2 with shoes in reality, but there's a lot of fudging of the heights of many NBA players.

Feel for the game is legit. Basketball IQ is legit.

Alexander is 64th in Real Defensive Plus/Minus. Matthew Dellavedova ranks higher.

Sexton is 97th, dead last, just behind Trae Young, Jordan Clarkson, and Spencer Dinwiddie.

De'Aaron Fox (also 6'3 - so another guy that's too short) is 23rd this year and positive on defense. Last year he was 75th.

Maybe things won't work out with Sexton, but look at the leap Fox took with heard work and good coaching. He was Isaiah Thomas level bad defensively last year. This year he is average at least - no longer a major leak in the D.

Sexton is far from short. He's short if you want to move him the to 2 and there are legit concerns about his assists, etc. No agreement that he needs development. He also is not scared of hard work. We need the proper coaches and mentors around him in the offseason so the Cavs can do everything in their power for him to become De'Aaron Fox 2.0. That will take some work, but he has the tools.

He also has a wingspan that is about on par with Fox. 6'7.25" (as measured at combine) and it may have gotten a bit longer since he's still growing a bit.

Also should be noted that Sexton has a longer wingspan than:

Kyle Lowry
Kyrie Irving
Steph Curry
Chris Paul
Trae Young
Mike Conley
Tony Parker

If Sexton doesn't have the measurables to play, neither did they. None of those guys had a wingspan above 6'4. Sexton has 3 inches on them and an 8'2.5" standing reach. Kyrie Irving's standing reach is 8'2". Fox is slightly better at 8'4".

The arguments on IQ, seasoning, etc are fine. Height is a BS argument on Sexton. He has the size, reach, and wingspan that matches or exceeds some of the best at the position. He has the physical tools and work ethic to succeed. Let's see if he can put it all together.
His size isn't a problem if hes indeed a point guard. If hes really a shooting guard it is.

I remain pretty high on Sexton
Never should have played so many mins this year but really was no choice.
That being said I think all of these mins will serve him well going into next year.
Looking forward to watching him more with Love, Cedi and Thompson at the same time. I think he will look much better.....but cavs need to be careful about wins

I think if he had confidence issues the bad minutes could have hurt him. Instead, it gives him lots of tape to watch.

I really liked seeing him attack the rim with the spacing that Kevin supplied. That was nice.

I think if he had confidence issues the bad minutes could have hurt him. Instead, it gives him lots of tape to watch.

I really liked seeing him attack the rim with the spacing that Kevin supplied. That was nice.
I think a long time from now when he is like 23 Collin will be a stud guard in the league

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."