• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2019 NBA Draft

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I actually brought up the Jimmy Butler comparison for Culver earlier in the year, based on their per game averages in school, with the how they operate, being a multi-dimensional wing and being an okay shooter... Like @I'mWithDan mentioned, Butler wasn't relied upon offensively to the extent Culver has been and you can also see the difference in eras with the 3PA vs. FTr in their profiles..

Now, that's not to say I think Culver will be as good but Butler is a similar profile athlete and skill wise as Culver and that would be a good player for him to model his game after.. Neither have the burst laterally so they have to rely on being crafty and using their strength to create space offensively...

Problem I have with Culver is I just don't see anything that stands out... Sure he is pretty versatile and does have some good advanced defensive stats (but is it more Culver or Texas Tech?) but if you're drafting him in the top-5, you have to be pretty confident he'll be able to increase his efficiency at the next level... The bizarre thing is that he improved his free throw % and fg % but his 3p% dropped pretty dramatically in same volume as last year...

I think the attitude surrounding Culver is also more due to the huge drop-off after the top-3 and if you're looking at him as a top-5 option, with so much variability after the top-3, you're feeling a little bit disappointed with what a top-5 pick is expected to be and just missing out on the elite tier..

I have no doubt Culver will be a good player at the next level but will he be role player/rotational good or upper level starter good?

To me, if I'm betting on a wing to take the jump at the next level, I feel more comfortable betting on Nickeil Alexander-Walker...

Culver is over rated. Their burgers are good, but custard is way to rich for me, I prefer just good ole fashion ice cream.

Culver is over rated. Their burgers are good, but custard is way to rich for me, I prefer just good ole fashion ice cream.

why r u like this

So I'm watching Ja Morant for the first time live today. Also think about how he would fit on the Cavs next year.
My thoughts :
First he and Sexton would be the quickest backcourt in the league. They both can push it up the court. Although maybe Sexton is faster. Both can score But Morant is a PG without question. A great passer He can affect the game even when he is not scoring.

All is not lost if we don't get Zion.

Ja is a boss. The dude was all over the place against Marquette. He’s amazing at seeing the floor. He also didn’t insist on scoring. He took what was there, and dominated the game with his passing.

I know a lot poster would not mind if we happen to end up with the second pick, and we grab him, and match him, With Sexton, I’m slowly warming up to that, but what if Phoenix ends up with the third pick, I know they would love to have him.....perfect match for them and him....So my question is what would it take for you to trade with them, obvious pick swap, and next year’s top 2 protected first ?......Do we need more ?

I know a lot poster would not mind if we happen to end up with the second pick, and we grab him, and match him, With Sexton, I’m slowly warming up to that, but what if Phoenix ends up with the third pick, I know they would love to have him.....perfect match for them and him....So my question is what would it take for you to trade with them, obvious pick swap, and next year’s top 2 protected first ?......Do we need more ?

A desperate team needs to give us an unprotected 1st for Morant. Tell them to kick rocks if not.

I’d rather take the better player and figure it out, even if it means moving Sexton a year after drafting him.

Cavs are half a year in to a possibly long rebuid. They shouldn’t be passing on a better player, to draft a better positional fit.

Moving Sexton wouldn’t be a mistake if you thought Morant had star potential. The huge mistake would be not drafting a possible star because we have a good but maybe not great player at that position. The only thing that matters, right now, is finding a star.

A desperate team needs to give us an unprotected 1st for Morant. Tell them to kick rocks if not.

I’d rather take the better player and figure it out, even if it means moving Sexton a year after drafting him.

Cavs are half a year in to a possibly long rebuid. They shouldn’t be passing on a better player, to draft a better positional fit.

Moving Sexton wouldn’t be a mistake if you thought Morant had star potential. The huge mistake would be not drafting a possible star because we have a good but maybe not great player at that position. The only thing that matters, right now, is finding a star.
Drafting Morant does not mean Sexton has to go. Morant is a true and exceptional PG. Sexton is a combo guard
They would dominate together similar to Lillard and McCollum in Portland.
Those guys with Love a good FA, and we're in the playoffs.

Sexton's playing more two guard and excelling at it. He and Morant could be a very scary backcourt to the opposition.

Chicago would love to have him as well, you could have a real bidding war for Morant. The more I see him play I just say draft him and play him with Sexton.
Morant has real star potential. I'm not trading that.

Drafting Morant does not mean Sexton has to go. Morant is a true and exceptional PG. Sexton is a combo guard
They would dominate together similar to Lillard and McCollum in Portland.
Those guys with Love a good FA, and we're in the playoffs.

My intention wasn't to say you immediately trade Sexton......just that, if you draft Morant and they don't gel, trading Collin is still a better outcome in 12 months (IMO) than just not having Morant at all, if he is the obvious BPA.

I agree there aren't as many overlapping skills with the two and they could probably coexist. The make or break skill is probably Morant's defense though. He needs to at least be an average NBA defender and capable of guarding 2's for it to be feasible. If he's a minus on defense too, we'd likely be such a disaster on that end, that it would be tough to overcome.

Last edited:
Sexton's playing more two guard and excelling at it. He and Morant could be a very scary backcourt to the opposition.
Defensively our back court would be terrible having two small guards.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."