• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

John Beilein: Continuing his education

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grade the coaching hire

• A+

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • A

Votes: 51 51.0%
  • B

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • C

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks like a hire is not coming in the near future... Which means the draft would be mostly a Koby and DG decision with no input from the next coach... Don't know how to feel about thay...

Really the draft should be the GM and the scouts duty. Taking a player that fits into a coach's system hasn't worked out for the Cavs in the past. Best player available should be what Koby should be looking for.

Just remember Dion Waiters was a confirmed pick for Bryon Scott and I've always suspected Mike Brown was heavily involved in us drafting Anthony Bennett. Mike Brown talked about how he watched Bennett at UNLV in the year between being fired from the Lakers and being given the Cavs job.

Really the draft should be the GM and the scouts duty. Taking a player that fits into a coach's system hasn't worked out for the Cavs in the past. Best player available should be what Koby should be looking for.

Just remember Dion Waiters was a confirmed pick for Bryon Scott and I've always suspected Mike Brown was heavily involved in us drafting Anthony Bennett. Mike Brown talked about how he watched Bennett at UNLV in the year between being fired from the Lakers and being given the Cavs job.

I had similar thoughts. When you let the coaches make calls on the draft picks it hasn't worked out well for us. Hopefully Koby knows what hes doing come draft day though.

Mosley worked for USA Basketball I think Altman did too at one time. Maybe that's the connection

Mosley worked for USA Basketball I think Altman did too at one time. Maybe that's the connection

Mosley was an assistant coach with the Cavaliers from 2010-2014 and two of those seasons coincided with Koby Altman working in the front office. I don’t think he’s a front-runner, by any means, but there is certainly familiarity there.

I’d look towards the coaching staffs of overachieving teams, like the Nuggets & Nets. Also, the turnaround in Orlando has been impressive. So, assistants like Jacque Vaughn, Wes Unseld Jr., Jordi Fernandez, Steve Hetzel, & Bret Brielmaier could garner a look. The last three guys have ties to the Cavs organization.

Why?

What assumptions do you make about ex players and why?

I want someone who has been in coaching their entire career. Not someone who got to where they were because of their athletic ability. Look around the league at the good coaches. Not many of them were players or at least notable players. It’s rare. Doc is an outlier. Kerr is still kind of unknown as a coach.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."