• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Home Projector

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scrote Squad

All-Star
Reaction score
I just bought a house and want to put a projector system in my basement. Will want to use it with YouTube TV, Fire Stick, and PS4. I would like to mount it from the ceiling and run cords from above. Anyone have recommendations?

I just bought a house and want to put a projector system in my basement. Will want to use it with YouTube TV, Fire Stick, and PS4. I would like to mount it from the ceiling and run cords from above. Anyone have recommendations?
Get yourself one of these bad boys:

4d9eb49ef008f35cbf00b2c351cff2e0.jpg

Probably late, but I have an Epson 5040ub and find it does quite well with video games. It does 3D, which is not a feature everyone wants (I did), and only does faux-4K though. I still think it looks very good.

I don't have a lot of experience with other projectors (only had an Epson 5030 before this one), so I unfortunately couldn't offer much else input.

Last edited:
I'm actually in the AV industry down here in Australia (www.visionone.com.au). We work primarily in the commercial field, but I would strongly suggest Epson or BenQ for home theatre solutions. Epson have just released a couple of really clean/contemorary looking models:

Be sure to run a couple of HDMI cables and connect your projector to a media player. Wireless streaming options (Apple TV/Chromecast) could come in handy here for you also.

Also, pay more attention to contrast and resolution for home theatre. Ultimately, brightness isn't anywhere near as important as you're going to be projecting in a dark room.

Good luck!

I am a huge projector advocate and believe they are in general way underrated. I've been running one as my main entertainment system for 5 years or so. I've been through a few different ones, and I would say these are the most important questions you need to answer to determine what projector you want:
  • 4K or not? - I tried a faux 4k projector and did not like it. I think the projector was actually fine for the most part, but streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc) all looked like shit because I didn't have the bandwidth to properly stream 4k. Any sky or background was super blotchy and distracting because of this. I went back to 1080p and am totally happy.
  • Projector distance/screen size - These 2 factors can really narrow down your options. I wanted 100" screen or so but my projector had to be like 17' from the screen. This narrowed down my options to about 5 projectors.
  • 3D or not? - I'm assuming not, but I guess it's a thing
After deciding on these things you'll have a much better idea what options are available for you.

I'm actually in the AV industry down here in Australia (www.visionone.com.au). We work primarily in the commercial field, but I would strongly suggest Epson or BenQ for home theatre solutions. Epson have just released a couple of really clean/contemorary looking models:

Be sure to run a couple of HDMI cables and connect your projector to a media player. Wireless streaming options (Apple TV/Chromecast) could come in handy here for you also.

Also, pay more attention to contrast and resolution for home theatre. Ultimately, brightness isn't anywhere near as important as you're going to be projecting in a dark room.

Good luck!

Is there any reason projectors are still using HDMI instead of Displayport? Should we expect a shift in Home Theater equipment towards Displayport soon?

Is there any reason projectors are still using HDMI instead of Displayport? Should we expect a shift in Home Theater equipment towards Displayport soon?

Good question. I wouldn't think so. You're only going to find DP on PCs/monitors to support frame and refresh rates (it's still considered a standard for gaming PCs) - the quality is much of a muchness if you're using high-grade HDMI, though. In the domestic world, the trend for Smart TVs and home theatre projectors is still HDMI (for cable costs, omnipresence in all hardware devices and the benefits of ARC). I think you'll start to see a lot of providers pairing their devices with single, proprietary cables soon. We're already seeing this trend in the commercial world via a connection called HDBaseT (https://hdbaset.org/what-is-hdbaset/).

Long story short, I don't see HDMI dying anytime soon - if anything, they may start to bring in projectors with an added DP input beside HDMI, but manufacturers are always conscious of what these extra ports will do to their overall production costs.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."