• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Myles Garrett : NFL 2023 DPOY

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Going for the last penny is different in a league like the NFL that has a hard cap, versus the NBA. In the NBA, you can always point to the owner as the bad guy for being unwilling to pay the luxury tax. But in the NFL, every penny that gets paid to one player on a max-out team is a penny that doesn't get paid to someone else.

And when you're already the highest paid player on your team and are supposed to be the leader...it's kind of an awkward look.
My guess is the Browns have a lot of guys - Baker included - that will sacrifice short-term salary for long-term contracts. Moreover, the Browns have seemingly drafted to be able to go that route.

I also think the NFL's salary cap is going to rise pretty significantly in the next few years. That means the Browns may not even face this problem.

My guess is the Browns have a lot of guys - Baker included - that will sacrifice short-term salary for long-term contracts. Moreover, the Browns have seemingly drafted to be able to go that route.

I also think the NFL's salary cap is going to rise pretty significantly in the next few years. That means the Browns may not even face this problem.

Next year is the last year of the current CBA, we will have 35 million roll over cap, then most likely an uncapped year, and just in time, a more significant revenue percentage for the players thus making the cap rise 30 million or more in my guess.

League Revenue is going crazy and the players will get a bigger percentage of profit for it.

Myles Garrett says Gregg Williams limited him to 2 moves; hopes for more freedom under Steve Wilks

I hopefully have more freedom to be the player I want to be,” Garrett told Pompei. "Gregg was more like: ‘You win with these two moves. I don’t want to see anything else out of you.’ It’s kind of hard with two moves. I feel like you can’t always be so predictable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05/myles-garrett-says-gregg-williams-limited-him-to-2-moves-and-he-hopes-for-more-freedom-under-steve-wilks.html?outputType=amp

Myles Garrett says Gregg Williams limited him to 2 moves; hopes for more freedom under Steve Wilks

I hopefully have more freedom to be the player I want to be,” Garrett told Pompei. "Gregg was more like: ‘You win with these two moves. I don’t want to see anything else out of you.’ It’s kind of hard with two moves. I feel like you can’t always be so predictable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05/myles-garrett-says-gregg-williams-limited-him-to-2-moves-and-he-hopes-for-more-freedom-under-steve-wilks.html?outputType=amp

Example number 1092875409182374 why I'm so happy Gregg is gone. Having to argue with people who wanted to keep him around as a head coach once we started winning was exhausting.

He's probably a better HC than a DC, but I don't want him as either.

Thanks for what you did--but good riddance.

tenor.gif

By no means is this a great film session breakdown but I am starved for content as I know most of us are, especially now that we are officially in the dog days of watchable sports on TV (sorry baseball fans).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJywSgjfuhA

I would argue that Myles Garrett's raw athleticism at the d-line is unrivaled sans Aaron Donald. This film breakdown illustrates that. Similarly to Donald, his natural instincts at the position are ELITE.

The crazy thing to think is that Garrett really hasn't had to work on other skills at the position and yet, even when double-teamed roughly 40% of his snaps, he's getting 13.5 sacks in a season on sheer motor, strength, and instinct alone. Olivier Vernon's game could be such a luxury for us specific to Garret's growth and it isn't really being mentioned much. Vernon has great hands, excellent body control (swim move technique) and he's had to beat guys bigger than him his whole career - Myles could really learn quite a bit from him.

Assuming Garrett stays healthy and gets some actual coaching this year, we could see a monumental jump in production, which is a spooky thought.

By no means is this a great film session breakdown but I am starved for content as I know most of us are, especially now that we are officially in the dog days of watchable sports on TV (sorry baseball fans).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJywSgjfuhA

I would argue that Myles Garrett's raw athleticism at the d-line is unrivaled sans Aaron Donald. This film breakdown illustrates that. Similarly to Donald, his natural instincts at the position are ELITE.

The crazy thing to think is that Garrett really hasn't had to work on other skills at the position and yet, even when double-teamed roughly 40% of his snaps, he's getting 13.5 sacks in a season on sheer motor, strength, and instinct alone. Olivier Vernon's game could be such a luxury for us specific to Garret's growth and it isn't really being mentioned much. Vernon has great hands, excellent body control (swim move technique) and he's had to beat guys bigger than him his whole career - Myles could really learn quite a bit from him.

Assuming Garrett stays healthy and gets some actual coaching this year, we could see a monumental jump in production, which is a spooky thought.

If you want to talk raw athleticism on the defensive line, you have to bring up Clowney. Garrett is much more polished as a pass rusher, but Clowney might be #1 with a bullet in terms of raw athleticism at DE.

Pre-injury, Watt was right there too.

I expect Myles to make a big jump this year. I think he might be the #1 DE in all of football, and put himself in the conversation with Donald, Mack and Miller for best front-seven players in the NFL.

Next year is the last year of the current CBA, we will have 35 million roll over cap, then most likely an uncapped year, and just in time, a more significant revenue percentage for the players thus making the cap rise 30 million or more in my guess.

League Revenue is going crazy and the players will get a bigger percentage of profit for it.

There has been some talk that there could be an exemption to the hard cap in which a FQB could be paid over the limit, in the next CBA. Of course, there are already still some ways around the hard cap with structuring guaranteed money/signing bonus/incentives.

I have to wonder if both players and owners are going to want readjustments in the rookie scale, perhaps back to something like the pre-2011 one, so that there can't be as much emphasis on timing team construction around this or that key player being on a rookie contract.

DVOA-land has some nice related analysis in this one comment on Carson Wentz's deal:

There has been some talk that there could be an exemption to the hard cap in which a FQB could be paid over the limit, in the next CBA. Of course, there are already still some ways around the hard cap with structuring guaranteed money/signing bonus/incentives.

I have to wonder if both players and owners are going to want readjustments in the rookie scale, perhaps back to something like the pre-2011 one, so that there can't be as much emphasis on timing team construction around this or that key player being on a rookie contract.

DVOA-land has some nice related analysis in this one comment on Carson Wentz's deal:

It won’t go back to the old ways. No one wants to pay rookies that much again. They should do it like the nba does with the rose rule. If you make X amount of pro bowlers or all pros during your rookie deal you become eligible to resign.

It won’t go back to the old ways. No one wants to pay rookies that much again. They should do it like the nba does with the rose rule. If you make X amount of pro bowlers or all pros during your rookie deal you become eligible to resign.

Possibly. Pro Bowl selections, even initial ones, seem to carry a lot less weight because of all of the player scratches for various reasons, as well as the different weighting methods.

The funny thing with all-NBA selections is that Klay getting passed over may help the Dubs significantly, maybe even more so with his current injury situation.

I asked a question to AZ last year about this. As I watched Garrett all year I thought the guy was limited to really 1 and maybe 2 moves. I thought the guy had no other moves. This really answered what my eyes where seeing last year.

Reactions: AZ_
In addition to the "stick to two moves" garbage from Williams, didn't Garrett also want to switch L to R like he's doing this year w/Vernon, and Williams said no to that as well? Thought I saw that in a training camp story somewhere.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."