• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

1st Playoff Game - From NJ to CLE

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thunder

Next Up
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So many of you may have seen me post here and there, but for the most part I usually lurk. I've been following the team since I was about 12 years old - around the time I got into basketball. I am now 25 so it's been about 13 years. I joined this website in August 2008 when the Mo Williams trade went down. Finally...we had our Pippen to LeBron's Jordan (LOL). Anyways, to make a long story short:

I love this team and everything about it and have for the past decade plus. I am heavily considering making the trip from NJ to Cleveland for the Cavs first playoff game. I have never been to Cleveland, or Ohio for that matter. It's about a 7 hour drive or 1.5 hour flight (pretty expensive to fly though).

I had some questions regarding the trip.
  • Does anyone know when we will find out what day the Cavs play (Sat 4/15 or Sun 4/16)? From my memory, I think we usually find out after the last day of the season. The past two years it's been on a Sunday. If the game falls on a Saturday, my plan is to fly/drive there Friday and come back Sunday. If the game falls on a Sunday, I plan to fly/drive there Saturday and come back Monday. Of course, booking a flight is tricky as I'm not sure what day the game is yet.
  • Hotel - I plan to get a hotel as close to The Q as possible. Any recommendations?
  • Places to visit- During my free time, I want to check out some places to see, eat, or drink nearby. Cavs-related would be cool. Any recommendations?
  • The Game - Plan is to just buy regular tickets to the game. Is there anything special I should look for, some type of package?
  • Overall, anything else I should know before visiting Cleveland for the first time or attending my first game at The Q!?
Super excited for this experience and playoff atmosphere!

I can't help with places to stay but Michael Symon's bbq spot (Mabel's) was delicious. Angelo's pizza in Lakewood (probably ~10-15 minutes from downtown) is very good too.

Drive, it's not bad.. if you don't drive use the train and stay down town..

Accomodations.. try air bnb.. if you don't stay downtown, stay near the Rapid .. Cleveland is linear along the lake. If you are near the train you can get anywhere cheap.. near Case Western is good.

Rock and roll Hall of fame is pretty cool.

Cleveland museum of art, or natural science are both cool..easy to get to by train from down town.. Being from Jersey, little Italy is a treat and nearby to the museums

Ethnic gardens.. during the day

Catch a play in the theater district..

West Side Market

Wear you cavs stuff and the city will welcome you..

Can almost guarantee the playoff opener will be the Sunday 3:30 game on ABC. That's been the case for the past two seasons.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."