• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2013-14 Ohio State Basketball Discussion

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Da Hard Way

Columbus Goat
Reaction score
2013-14-mens-hoops-team.jpg

The Ohio State men’s basketball team held their annual Agonis Club practice Tuesday night. Here are some news and notes from the festivities:

The Buckeyes did not go with a starting five vs. a second five. The two units were all mixed together. It would have been impossible to have the usual five anyway, because Lenzelle Smith was not suited up. Thad Matta said Smith is battling an infection. He did not elaborate on what kind of infection.

Ohio State and West Virginia will scrimmage on Saturday, Matta said.

Former Buckeye David Lighty practiced with the team. Matta introduced Lighty as his all-time favorite Buckeye.

Amir Williams had a shaky practice. At first, it looked bright as he asserted himself down low and caught a bullet from Aaron Craft and finished with a dunk at the expense at Trey McDonald. But it went downhill quickly for Williams.
He missed a defensive rebound and was stripped by Shannon Scott as he went up to dunk on consecutive possessions. There were several more offensive possessions that ended with Williams being stripped or losing the ball. When he connected on a dunk late in practice, the crowd responded with a Bronx cheer.

Scott was by far the most impressive player on the court – on both ends. He had at least 11 points, including three 3s, and was able to create by penetrating into the lane, once against Aaron Craft. He was defending well, too, knocking the ball away from Williams on one attempted dunk.

Marc Loving was solid. He can definitely get better on the defensive end of the court, but his offense was as advertised. He made multiple 3s and had a really smooth jump shot and stroke. Matta lauded Loving for the level of play he’s brought to practice so far.

Craft didn’t shoot a whole lot. Instead, he concentrated on distributing the basketball, which he did well. Guys didn’t always finish, but Craft was busy feeding them the basketball. He did make a couple shots, including a three-pointer. Shooting motion looked good. He was also the most vocal member of the team and took time to chat with Loving, likely helping the youngster with nuances of the offense and defense.

LaQuinton Ross didn’t shoot 100 percent, but his misses were close. He only put up on ill-advised NBA 3. I thought his shot selection and flow in the offense was what Ohio State will want in the regular season.

Asked who the most improved player in the team is, Matta mentioned Scott but added the whole team has been clicking in practice. Matta also mentioned Williams and McDonald when talking about improved players. He said post play should be effective.

Matta said Ohio State cannot afford miss open shots this year. The coaching staff has put a premium on offense. Matta also said this year’s team could be the best of his career in terms of defense.

Amir Williams already frustrating me :chuckles:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/10/27071/ohio-state-basketball-media-day-notes

Here's notes from media take on what's taken place over the summer. Craft has said he'd like to play on the next level, Will be interesting to follow his nba stock as the season goes.

The team struggled to put the ball in the basket last year, and that was with DeShaun Thomas...a lot of people need to step up this year if they want to continue as a top 10 team.

They'll continue to be a top 10 team because they have elite athletes and play great defense. I see LQR filling most of the void left by Deshaun and the improvement of other players, specifically Shannon Scott and Sam Thompson, to pick up the slack as well.

The Scott news is very encouraging. I'd love for him to have a consistent jumper in his arsenal since I'm sure he'll be on the court quite a bit with Craft. I also think Thad will continue with the small-ball lineups that had success last season. It may actually become a necessity if Amir Williams plays as poorly as last season.

Overall, they'll be a top contender in the B1G yet again, win close to 30 games and probably advance to at least Sweet Sixteen for the fifth straight year. Not much more I can ask for as a fan of this team.

I agree if Ross plays like he did in a few tournment games, he will replace the offensive production, and to me could be more dangerous as he has good range and can drive with the ball.

All good points. I hope it's safe to assume that Ross will easily step into DT's role this year. That small ball lineup last year was full of win, I hope Matta utilizes it more often this season.

Williams just needs to realize he is big I swear the guy forgets he is almost 7 feet tall.

Does college basketball even matter this year? Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke seem like locks for the final four. Good luck trying to beat Kentucky.

Just hope the Buckeyes can take the Big Ten, and if that doesn't happen anyone but Michigan please. Cannot stand McGary.

Best thing about college basketball is there is no "locks" to go far.

Anyways, I got student tickets again this year and am looking forward to the games. Our team plays great defense led by Craft and should be even better this year on that side of the ball. Just need Amir Williams to protect the rim and rebound, but he's always the wildcard.

My dumb ass completely forgot about Marc Loving...

For some reason I thought he was '14 and our only incoming recruit was Williams.

The B1G is going to be the best conference in America again. Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin are already pre-season Top 25 teams and I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa joined them at some point. The bottom half of the league is no joke either. Whoever wins the regular season title will have earned it.

My dumb ass completely forgot about Marc Loving...

For some reason I thought he was '14 and our only incoming recruit was Williams.

Getting ahead of myself, but 2014-15 is going to be an amazing season. So excited for them to bring in D'Angelo Russell, Keita Bates-Diop and Jae'Sean Tate. All three will be instant contributors. My only qualm is the lack of a center. Striking out on Elbert Robinson and Goodluck Okonoboh really hurts and I doubt Myles Turner ends up in C-Bus.

When does this shit start? Can't wait.

Also can't wait for the latest tournament collapse by a Thad Madda-led team.

Getting ahead of myself, but 2014-15 is going to be an amazing season. So excited for them to bring in D'Angelo Russell, Keita Bates-Diop and Jae'Sean Tate. All three will be instant contributors. My only qualm is the lack of a center. Striking out on Elbert Robinson and Goodluck Okonoboh really hurts and I doubt Myles Turner ends up in C-Bus.

It's quite a bummer -- guess we end up with a lower-tier consolation big. Perhaps '15 we can land someone special since we already have Mitchell and Amos lined up.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."