• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2013-14 Twolves vs 2018-19 Cleveland Cavaliers.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tornicade

2018 RBF League Champion
Reaction score
Kevin Love believes he is a better leader and is more vocal now than he was with the Twolves.

Love had 77 Starts, 39 Wins, 38 Losses, 65 Double-Doubles, 3 Triple-Doubles in Minnesota

lets take a look at his team compared to the current Cavs.

Corey Brewer 27, K Martin 30, N Pekovic 28 , RRubio 23 was the primary starting lineup

JJ Berea 29, Dante Cunningham 26, Alexy Shved 25, Gorung Dieng 24 ,Luc Mbah a Moute 27 was the supporting cast.

the Twolves that season in hindsight underachieved.
Record: 40-42, Finished 3rd in NBA Northwest Division

Coach: Rick Adelman (40-42)

Executive: Flip Saunders

PTS/G: 106.9 (3rd of 30) Opp PTS/G: 104.3 (26th of 30)

SRS: 3.10 (9th of 30) Pace: 97.3 (4th of 30)

Off Rtg: 108.9 (9th of 30) Def Rtg: 106.2 (12th of 30)

Expected W-L: 48-34 (11th of 30)

Ricky Rubio VS Sexton/Hill
Kevin Martin Vs JR Smith/Hood
Corey Brewer VS Cedi Osman
Kevin Love 25 VS Kevin Love 29
N Pekovic/G Dieng vs Thompson/Nance/Zizic

I invite you guys to breakdown these matchups because I believe this years Cavs is a more talented squad with much more depth.

Kevin Love believes he is a better leader and is more vocal now than he was with the Twolves.

Love had 77 Starts, 39 Wins, 38 Losses, 65 Double-Doubles, 3 Triple-Doubles in Minnesota

lets take a look at his team compared to the current Cavs.

Corey Brewer 27, K Martin 30, N Pekovic 28 , RRubio 23 was the primary starting lineup

JJ Berea 29, Dante Cunningham 26, Alexy Shved 25, Gorung Dieng 24 ,Luc Mbah a Moute 27 was the supporting cast.

the Twolves that season in hindsight underachieved.
Record: 40-42, Finished 3rd in NBA Northwest Division

Coach: Rick Adelman (40-42)

Executive: Flip Saunders

PTS/G: 106.9 (3rd of 30) Opp PTS/G: 104.3 (26th of 30)

SRS: 3.10 (9th of 30) Pace: 97.3 (4th of 30)

Off Rtg: 108.9 (9th of 30) Def Rtg: 106.2 (12th of 30)

Expected W-L: 48-34 (11th of 30)

Ricky Rubio VS Sexton/Hill
Kevin Martin Vs JR Smith/Hood
Corey Brewer VS Cedi Osman
Kevin Love 25 VS Kevin Love 29
N Pekovic/G Dieng vs Thompson/Nance/Zizic

I invite you guys to breakdown these matchups because I believe this years Cavs is a more talented squad with much more depth.

Timberwolves were better.

Timberwolves were better.

Aside from KLove that year where are Wolves better? Rubio wasn't good in 13-14. KMart was a corpse at that point. Brewer is terrible. Pekovic was a terrible fit next to Love since neither protect the rim. Dieng was solid as a rookie though.

I'm not saying Cavaliers are better then the wolves team that year but its a toss up. Really depends on how the young guys play. Wolves were terrible that year its why KLove was putting up 26/13.

Pretty good O and D rating.

Looks like they lost more close games than winning them.

Aside from KLove that year where are Wolves better? Rubio wasn't good in 13-14. KMart was a corpse at that point. Brewer is terrible. Pekovic was a terrible fit next to Love since neither protect the rim. Dieng was solid as a rookie though.

I'm not saying Cavaliers are better then the wolves team that year but its a toss up. Really depends on how the young guys play. Wolves were terrible that year its why KLove was putting up 26/13.

Min were +12.6 with Rubio on the floor. He was good.

They are better at PG, PF and C. Min's Kevin Martin is roughly equal to Rodney Hood.

Their offense was great. And with Rubio and Love on the floor they were elite.

Pekovic was a good scorer and was actually a good fit with Love offensively. And Love was on a different level. The impact between Min Love and Cavs love can not be overstated. That alone tips the scales in favor of Minnesota.

And above all, they played in the West. They were a legit good team that the only reason they didn't reach the playoffs was because Love missed some games and Pekovic and Martin(to a lesser extent) missed a shit ton and their replacements other than Dieng were shit. And ofcourse the games they had choked away.

The Cavs should be thrilled if Hood turns in a season like 13-14 Martin.

Min were +12.6 with Rubio on the floor. He was good.

They are better at PG, PF and C. Min's Kevin Martin is roughly equal to Rodney Hood.

Their offense was great. And with Rubio and Love on the floor they were elite.

Pekovic was a good scorer and was actually a good fit with Love offensively. And Love was on a different level. The impact between Min Love and Cavs love can not be overstated. That alone tips the scales in favor of Minnesota.

And above all, they played in the West. They were a legit good team that the only reason they didn't reach the playoffs was because Love missed some games and Pekovic and Martin(to a lesser extent) missed a shit ton and their replacements other than Dieng were shit. And ofcourse the games they had choked away.
We have seen Love in a different role for the last 4 seasons.
Love didn't forget how to score if anything Love is even more dangerous as a number 1 option than he was in minny.

I don't believe that The wolves were better at center outside of scoring.
Thompson does a good job at neutralizing his matchups scoring production. s it doesn't matter if a center averages 17 points a game if he only gets 8-12 against Thompson.

Tristans ability to keep opposing matchups out of soring position is severely underrated.

people can point to opposing matchups sometimes higher shooting percentage against Thompson. but if the opposing team cant get the ball to that guy it doesn't matter.

2013-14 Minnesota saw no pick up or drop off when pek was hort and dieng took over.

in 8 games against pekovic. Thompson held Pekovic to 7 points and 5 rebounds.

Pekovic is a 36% shooter against Thompson

Thompson also has owned gieng in 10 games against each other.
as Dieng has only outproduced Thompson in one of those games in a losing effort.

Center advantage is clearly in favor of the cavs,
Edit:
people continue to evaluate Tristan based on his overall stats and not on his matchups

We have seen Love in a different role for the last 4 seasons.
Love didn't forget how to score if anything Love is even more dangerous as a number 1 option than he was in minny.

I don't believe that The wolves were better at center outside of scoring.
Thompson does a good job at neutralizing his matchups scoring production. s it doesn't matter if a center averages 17 points a game if he only gets 8-12 against Thompson.

Tristans ability to keep opposing matchups out of soring position is severely underrated.

people can point to opposing matchups sometimes higher shooting percentage against Thompson. but if the opposing team cant get the ball to that guy it doesn't matter.

2013-14 Minnesota saw no pick up or drop off when pek was hort and dieng took over.

in 8 games against pekovic. Thompson held Pekovic to 7 points and 5 rebounds.

Pekovic is a 36% shooter against Thompson

Thompson also has owned gieng in 10 games against each other.
as Dieng has only outproduced Thompson in one of those games in a losing effort.

Center advantage is clearly in favor of the cavs,
Edit:
people continue to evaluate Tristan based on his overall stats and not on his matchups

Wolves were -3 with Dieng on the floor and +4 with him off. Wolves were a staggering +8.3 with Pekovic on the floor.

So yeah, the dropoff was very big.

Now looking at it again, you asked how the Cavs would matchup with the Wolves? I don't think we can know, and quite frankly I don't understand the question. I actually thought the question was who was the better team compared to the rest of the league to better gauge how the Cavs would fare this season...

In 2013-2014 the league was still learning to defend stretch 4s and love was a matchup nightmare.. Now, we seen tons of athletic 3's converted to 4's which love has a difficulty defending and scoring on.. unless loves stay at center; his effectiveness is greatly diminished, not counting on the defensive side..

Cory Brewer, Martin, and Mbah a Moute stand out as talented guys we don't have anything like for on this team.

Also Rick Adelman is a HOF coach with a penchant for designing offenses. Don't think Lue can compare.

They're probably better nearly everywhere?

Rubio better, Pekovic better, Martin better.

People shit all over Rubio while ignoring his absolutely elite level defense he's played since entering the league and I'm highly doubting rookie Collin Sexton will have that impact.

Same for 2nd year Osman. You guys are projecting out what you hope these two will be down the road and not what they'll probably be this year.

And Kevin Martin is just better than Rodney Hood however you wanna slice it.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."