• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2015 Free Agency (Cavs Centric)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TheISHT

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
Impending Free Agents
  1. Love (Unrestricted)
  2. TT (Restricted)
  3. Shumpert (Restricted)
  4. Delly (Restricted)
  5. JR (Player Option) I doubt he declines the option (Maybe we sign him to extension)
With that being said, I think the only major concern is Love. I have small concerns about possible TT and Shumpert getting some crazy contract.

I love TT but a guy that avg 8 and 8 is not worthy of a max deal, I have a hard time seeing someone offering that much to a guy who is limited offensively.

Shumpert is in the same boat, he shows flashes, but has durability concerns. Now with him being a SG, I'm not worried about the max but a high dollar contract.

I'm worried idiot GMs will give these players contracts that fit under the new cap prior to that new cap coming.

Now when I look at the list of FA, I'm not sure how much money will be available all around, but I don't see our guys at the top of the list. I put all these guys above our FAs sans Love.

Ahead of TT:
  1. Gasol
  2. LMA
  3. Jefferson
  4. Hibbert
  5. Milsap
  6. Jordan
  7. Lopez
  8. Kanter
Evenish players who may command a similar salary
  1. Monroe
  2. Asik (evenish)
  3. Josh Smith (evenish)
  4. West (evenish)
  5. Young (evenish)
Ahead of Shump from (PG/SG/SF positions)
  1. Butler
  2. Kawhi
  3. Green (Listing him as SF/PF)
  4. T. Harris
  5. Deng
  6. Wade
  7. Ellis
  8. Middelton
  9. Lou Williams
  10. Dragic
  11. Knight
  12. R Jackson
Evenish with Shump
  1. Matthews (because of injury)
  2. Crowder
  3. J. Crawford
  4. G. Green
  5. Stuckey
  6. P Beverly
A lot of money is going to be going out to these players, not to mention some may be stingy with their cap because of the Durant Sweepstakes.

Where does everyone see on FAs contracts falling?
1. Love (Max)
2. TT (10-12 per year)
3. Shump (5-6 per year)
4. Delly (3-4 per year)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee
Where does everyone see on FAs contracts falling?
1. Love (Max)
2. TT (10-12 per year)
3. Shump (5-6 per year)
4. Delly (3-4 per year)

Love - opts in for next year does free agency in 2016.
TT- 15-16 million
Shump - 8-10 Million
Delly - 5-6 Million

These role players playing so well in the playoffs with an impending cap explosion has driven their salaries up tremendously. Delly in particular.

Love will opt in
TT - 12-13 mill. Offered 12, we will offer it again.
Shump 7-8 mill
Delly 2-3 mill

The only one we might lose is Delly. Another team might end up over paying him. He has been great in the playoffs, but discipline and free agency Is key. He is still the same player from earlier in the year with all of the limitations. His grit is contagious, but he is replaceable if someone throws a full mle at him.

Love will opt in
TT - 12-13 mill. Offered 12, we will offer it again.
Shump 7-8 mill
Delly 2-3 mill

The only one we might lose is Delly. Another team might end up over paying him. He has been great in the playoffs, but discipline and free agency Is key. He is still the same player from earlier in the year with all of the limitations. His grit is contagious, but he is replaceable if someone throws a full mle at him.
TT is going to make more than that, and the Cavs won't have a choice.

They can't replace his production, so they aren't in a position to be able to hold the line on what he makes.

We are going to have to overpay all of our guys for that reason, because we are basically going to be locked into the mini midlevel as the only way of doing anything with the roster. Taking a hardline against overpaying just creates a hole you don't have many means of filling.

Our free agents (and their agents) certainly know this.

Teams are going to be overpaying like wild this off-season because the league is awash in cap space already and with the coming jump teams have to spend it somewhere because of the salary floor increasing so much as far as the percentage of the cap teams have to spend.

TT is going to make more than that, and the Cavs won't have a choice.

They can't replace his production, so they aren't in a position to be able to hold the line on what he makes.

We are going to have to overpay all of our guys for that reason, because we are basically going to be locked into the mini midlevel as the only way of doing anything with the roster. Taking a hardline against overpaying just creates a hole you don't have many means of filling.

Our free agents (and their agents) certainly know this.

Teams are going to be overpaying like wild this off-season because the league is awash in cap space already and with the coming jump teams have to spend it somewhere because of the salary floor increasing so much as far as the percentage of the cap teams have to spend.

I don't see it. He is restricted and its not 2016 yet. He could sign the qualifying offer and take a chance on himself for 1 year, but no way he gets a max deal this summer.

I think Love signs a max 5 year contract, with a player option after year 2 and an ETO after year 4. This lets him get big bucks in 2017 when the cap goes nuts and gives him 5 years of security. That's what I'd do, anyway...

Does anyone think TT could develop enough defensively to be able to guard SFs for extended stretches? Can you imagine a big lineup of Irving, LeBron, TT, Love, and Moz? I'm sure he could guard a select few already. It'd be interesting to see next year.

To me the four most important guys the Cavs need to focus on keeping here for the next 5 years are LeBron, Kyrie, Love, and Tristan. I love Moz and Shump as well, but it's harder to replace what TT brings, especially when you consider his relationships with Kyrie and Lebron. They'll keep TT for sure.

Anyway, if the Cavs can sign him in the $10-$12 million range, he's likely already worth it. If he is able to continue improving in the offensive end, he'll be outplaying that contact a year from now.

Love - opts in for next year does free agency in 2016.
TT- 15-16 million
Shump - 8-10 Million
Delly - 5-6 Million

These role players playing so well in the playoffs with an impending cap explosion has driven their salaries up tremendously. Delly in particular.
I think Birdy hit it on the head.

This feels almost exactly right. Only difference to me is I could see Shump getting a tad higher than 10 million.

This feels almost exactly right. Only difference to me is I could see Shump getting a tad higher than 10 million.

I think each of those guys sans Love are listed a good 2-3 mil too high. But I honestly don't care about contracts anymore - this is Dan G we talkin' bout.

No way that Delly gets that much. Patty Mills only got 3/13 coming off his huge playoff performance. I see Delly getting a similar amount, even if he keeps putting up performances like he did in game 6.

I can't just pinpoint TT's 8-8 and say he's a finished product because he's not. He does so many other things with his motor being one of his main keys. Throw the 8-8 out the window.

TT's capabilities:

Rebounding, he just made Pau, Noah, and Taj his bitch, hell Bulls fans say TT was the 2nd best player that series. Which is arguably true, he will get 12 mil for this alone.

Defense, he can stay on his man, switch the pick n roll and contain a guard, that defense on Lowry probably earned him a million alone just to show what hes capable of on a switch and how versatile he truly is.

Durability, he's an iron man. Teams will definitely pay him for these attributes knowing he can withstand bumps and bruises and play every game.

He has 2 more series to showcase to the world and prove why he deserves to be paid.

I'd say right now he's at $13 million per year, if Noah makes $12.7, and TT just beat him and looked better and factored more in games then he deserves it.

Pekovic also makes $12mil, Ibaka $12.3, Bogut $12.9, and a laughing $13mil from Nene

I can totally see TT breaking the bank if he's a factor in our title. But realistically I hope he gets nothing above $13 million. Al Jefferson makes about $13.5 but he has a man's low post game.

Who with cap space is going to offer TT 15M per year? I just don't see it, TT fits here great when Love Irving and LeBron get you about 70 points a night and you don't need him to score but how many teams with cap space this summer can say the same..

I think with delly the way to get him for less is to give him more years. A 4 year deal at 3/4 range would be great for both sides.

I'd expect Love to opt-out and then sign a contract similar to what Lebron signed this year -- a max, 2-year deal with player option after year 1. This provides a greater salary in 2015-2016 and allows him to max out when salary cap explodes 14 months from now. I'd expect Lebron to do the same.

Cavs only options to add more assets would be: (1) Haywood salary, (2) tax-payer MLE ($3.3M), (3) this year's 1st round pick. For this reason, I expect them to meet everyone's salary desire, as we have very little ability to back-fill for any attrition.

Windhorst recently cited the in-season report (I think it was by Woj, but Windy didn't say who reported it) that Thompson turned down 4 yrs/$54M. (I thought 4 and $52M had been reported, but whatever.) Windy then said something to the effect that 4 yrs and $60M is now what we are looking at. Said that he had talked to people around the league who had told him this.

I don't know why we are assuming JR opts in. Not long ago we were speculating 3 yrs and $24M. Are people thinking that because of his suspension interest will be cool? Smith turns 30 in September. Surely it's better for him to become a FA now than next year? He should have no problem getting 3 yrs and $18-20M based on his play in Cleveland. I'd be willing to do that if I were the Cavs.

I think the question with Shump, Delly, as well as TT, is whether teams will shy away from making an offer if they are convinced the Cavs will match. The fact that none of them is a great scorer should help since scorers tend to be overpaid. Of course, it takes only one team to think otherwise, and we do have Windhorst saying TT will get $15M/yr.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."