• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2016-2017 Indians Off-Season Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MoFlo

Hall-of-Famer
RCF Honored Elder
Reaction score
Indians rumors:

Indians moves:

-Exercised $12M Team Option on 1B/DH Carlos Santana

Indians FA:

Mike Napoli
Rajai Davis
Coco Crisp

What are the chances of a big signing or trade of a power bat?

Was looking over free agent relievers.

REALLY would like Sergio Romo, but I don't feel like he'll be in our price range.

Shaw, Otero, Manship, Miller, and Allen is a hell of a quintet. If we could add one more dominant guy like Romo, I'd almost never worry.

Was looking over free agent relievers.

REALLY would like Sergio Romo, but I don't feel like he'll be in our price range.

Shaw, Otero, Manship, Miller, and Allen is a hell of a quintet. If we could add one more dominant guy like Romo, I'd almost never worry.

One of these is not like the other :chuckle:

What are the chances of a big signing or trade of a power bat?

Paul Goldschmidt is almost certainly getting dealt somewhere and his cost is low enough the Dolans won't get killed by it

Now the price will be astronomical but I think the Indians could be one of the teams seriously in the race

Reactions: AMC
I'd like to bring Rajai back as a utility OF, pinch runner, fill in for a players rest, get some LH SP starts. But he may think he's worth big $$$ now, who knows.

Some think Matt Holiday is an option, Thoughts?

I'd like to bring Rajai back as a utility OF, pinch runner, fill in for a players rest, get some LH SP starts. But he may think he's worth big $$$ now, who knows.

I would for sure bring Rajai back he is a clubhouse favorite and a pretty decent player. If they can give Rajai a nice two year deal or one year even you do it.

Yes however the growth of the team will allow the Indians to set up a high average clean up guy like Holiday as people are saying. Keep in mind Santana has to play out of his mind and Lindor has to add more power to his swing. The wild card is Gomes and I will not give up on him as he can be a 25 hr guy if healthy and mentally ready.

Open the pocket book. Give the Indians:

x1: 2 or 3 1A starter
x1: Clutch reliever
x1: Big Bat.

That would put that them at near the middling of MLB payrolls. Make it so or guillotine the Dolans.

Paul Goldschmidt is almost certainly getting dealt somewhere and his cost is low enough the Dolans won't get killed by it

Now the price will be astronomical but I think the Indians could be one of the teams seriously in the race

Still have a good haul from the Lucroy trade, though would obviously require another piece as well. Goldy would be huge.

I'd prefer if they didn't sign any free agents. I want to keep some money available for when we extend Lindor through his arbitration years. He's eligible in after the 2018 season, and I think we'd all love to lock him down past 2022 (his current FA year).

Only FA I'm looking at are salvageable relievers like Hudson, Storen, Morrow, and Richard if he can't land a starting gig. I'd love to find a lefty to compete with Crockett in camp. I want Crockett to be our 2nd lefty, and he looked like it down the stretch, but definitely need the competition.

The obsession with a big bat around here is pretty humorous. Unless you think we're landing a Goldschmidt via trade, we're better off with high average guys. Power is overrated. If Brantley even comes back as a .280/.290 hitter, that's a huge boost, and I think we all know he's capable of more.

I would look to bring Napoli back, and I think we have a good shot to do that. I've also said before that I'd welcome Rajai back. He can be valuable even if we're playing him less.

I said it earlier in the year, I like Chisenhall, but we have a little bit of a crowded OF and Zimmer is coming. With Brantley back, I think we should look to deal him. Not sure what we could get for him to be honest, but it's something I'd look into.

I think Erik Gonzalez deserves a shot at the utility spot. Yandy Diaz could be in the mix as well, but I'd give Gonzalez the edge with his superior fielding prowess.

Zimmer will be up at some point, so that provides some insurance for Naquin if his struggles continue. Almonte/Davis is a weak spot in the lineup, but they're serviceable.

C: Gomes/Perez
1B: Napoli/Santana/Brantley
2B: Kipnis/Gonzalez
3B: Ramirez/Gonzalez
SS: Lindor/Gonzalez
LF: Brantley/Davis/Guyer
CF: Almonte/Davis
RF: Naquin/Guyer/Almonte

If we can't manage to bring back Napoli and Davis, I'd look at these guys:

Franklin Gutierrez
Austin Jackson
Drew Stubbs
Jose Bautista
Matt Holliday
Carlos Beltran

Holliday and Beltran are guys I would consider for a 1B/DH role. I want them nowhere near the OF.

Last edited:
I like bringing back Davis and even Coco if they're cheap. The kids need the veteran presence and they were good in the clubhouse. I would be hesitant to shake up the chemistry of this bunch.

But I also need more than .239 out of the first baseman and .173 in the playoffs. Napoli, as good as he was in the clubhouse, is going to get paid like 30/100 guy because he did it for one year, when his norm is like 20/70. If you figure he comes back to Earth, there are many guys I would rather see than .240/20/70 Napoli at 1B.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."