• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017-2018 MVP Discussion

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ohio

Woosah
Reaction score
I see this topic being mentioned frequently in a number of threads, so figured the topic could use its own thread.

Here's what bbref has right now:

dWyVTn8.png

My personal rankings right now:

1. Harden
2. LeBron
3. Giannis
4. Kyrie
5. Pick a Warrior

Still early but LeBron is having his best offensive season ever so far. He needs to be getting way more attention in this thing. He should be right at the top of the MVP talks with Harden. If the Cavs didn't fuck around so much he'd deserve to be at the top because our record would be better. Hopefully once IT comes back we win more games and this gets interesting.

I see this topic being mentioned frequently in a number of threads, so figured the topic could use its own thread.

dWyVTn8.png

1. Harden
2. LeBron
3. Giannis
4. Kyrie
5. Pick a Warrior

Still early but LeBron is having his best offensive season ever so far. He needs to be getting way more attention in this thing. He should be right at the top of the MVP talks with Harden. If the Cavs didn't fuck around so much he'd deserve to be at the top because our record would be better. Hopefully once IT comes back we win more games and this gets interesting.

His On/Off of -3.3 needs to improve. Team needs to play much better with him on the floor regardless of his good raw stats.

When was the last time a team with Lebron played better with him off the court? probably never. Obviously they are not better with him off the court, but he usually has insane On/Off numbers.

dWyVTn8.png

1. Harden
2. LeBron
3. Giannis
4. Kyrie
5. Pick a Warrior

Let's he honest here, the Cavs have sucked too much so far this season for LeBron to legitimately be anywhere near the top of the conversation.

That and Boston's runaway success (Kyrie's actual impact and stats be damned) has predictably and virulently aided the pro-Celtics/anti-Cavs campaign.

Brad Stevens

Is it so asinine now, that'd I've suggest he's a top-3 head coach?

And I was one of the Stevens doubters.

Just willing to give a guy credit when its deserved. He's a great coach.

I don't get any pleasure sending props to Boston either.

Probably after the Warriors, the team I detest the most.

As of today

MVP

1. Harden
2. DMC
3. Kyrie
4. LeBron
5. KP

DPOTY - Horford
COTY - Stevens
ROTY - Simmons
MIP - Embiid

Currently

Harden
Bron
Durant
Curry
Giannis

I want some of what you're smoking.

James Harden is clearly the frontrunner.

DMC has been historically good so far and NOP are playing way beter than expected.

LeBron is once again looking better than he did the year before individually. Still the best player in the game.

Kyrie is leading the best team in the league and I find it funny how because it's Kyrie people are acting like the best player on the best team getting MVP love is something new. So much hating going on around here.

KP has been just as impactful as Giannis surrounded by a worse team and they are playing better than MIL. That's why I have KP above Giannis. The Knicks weren't supposed to be this good.

Horford is clearly DPOTY right now. Stevens COTY is almost a lock. Simmons ROTY is a lock. And all Embiid has to do to win MIP is play a significant amount of games.

Currently

Harden
Bron
Durant
Curry
Giannis

DMC has been more valuable than Curry or KD. They're a lottery team without either him or AD. GSW still gets HCA without one of Curry or KD. And he's off to a historically good start to this season.

DMC has been more valuable than Curry or KD. They're a lottery team without either him or AD. GSW still gets HCA without one of Curry or KD. And he's off to a historically good start to this season.

DMC is arguably not even the MVP of the Pelicans. He might be, but it’s not 100%

And the Pelicans aren’t going to make the playoffs, and if they do, it will be as an 8 seed. I don’t see a 41-43 win 8 seed team
producing an MVP who’s not even clearly that teams best player, nor should they.

DMC is arguably not even the MVP of the Pelicans. He might be, but it’s not 100%

And the Pelicans aren’t going to make the playoffs, and if they do, it will be as an 8 seed. I don’t see a 41-43 win 8 seed team
producing an MVP who’s not even clearly that teams best player, nor should they.

We're talking about right now though. At this point in the season. And it looks like they will make the playoffs unless you think MEM will hold down a playoff spot with Conley likely sidelined for a while with an Achilles injury. DMC has been putting up numbers on matched by LAL Shaq so far. He's been killing it and he's pretty much ended any trade discussions for now.

We're talking about right now though. At this point in the season. And it looks like they will make the playoffs unless you think MEM will hold down a playoff spot with Conley likely sidelined for a while with an Achilles injury. DMC has been putting up numbers on matched by LAL Shaq so far. He's been killing it and he's pretty much ended any trade discussions for now.

Hear me out:

-Pelicans have a .529 winning percentage. On pace for 43 wins and the 7 seed. As of today.
-Russell Westbrook was the first guy to win the MVP since Moses Malone with less than 50 wins last year
-Thunder won 47, were a 5 seed. First guy to average a triple double since Oscar. Additional storyline of carrying the team after they were spurned by KD. By far the only star player on his team. No credit to share.

Given all of that, I just don’t think DMC is in the MVP race , just going by the history of the award. I agree with you about how good he’s been...but he has no path to the MVP.

Hear me out:

-Pelicans have a .529 winning percentage. On pace for 43 wins and the 7 seed. As of today.
-Russell Westbrook was the first guy to win the MVP since Moses Malone with less than 50 wins last year
-Thunder won 47, were a 5 seed. First guy to average a triple double since Oscar. Additional storyline of carrying the team after they were spurned by KD. By far the only star player on his team. No credit to share.

Given all of that, I just don’t think DMC is in the MVP race , just going by the history of the award. I agree with you about how good he’s been...but he has no path to the MVP.

I don't think he'll win it either but he's going to be in the conversation. Him being in the conversation does effect the votes though. If he keeps up this pace throughout the season he'll get votes like AD did a few seasons ago. Just enough to bump the 2nd or 3rd place guys who'll probably end up being LeBron and Kyrie.

Here's what I think. James Harden is going to continue being ridiculous like he is right now. It's his award to lose.

I don't think Steph or KD will get a lot of love from voters this year. Almost everyone has it as a formality that they make the finals and win. They've both already won it before. There might be a little GSW fatigue. (At least I hope :chuckle:)

Then I think it's going to come down between Kyrie and LeBron. Giannis, KP, and DMC will have the numbers but their teams won't be as good as us or BOS. Plus you know the media will love an MVP race with Kyrie and LeBron going at it. Honestly I would too. We're bund to get some good basketball if Kyrie and LeBron are in a tight MVP race and you know the competitive nature in both of those dudes will have each of them pushing for the award even though they'll both deny it :chuckle:

So it'll be a race between Kyrie and LeBron and the voters will have to decide if James Harden's insane numbers will be just too much to not give it to him.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."