• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017-2018 Predictions

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rich

Saucin'
Reaction score
Seeding

East
1. Cleveland
2. Boston
3. Washington
4. Milwaukee
5. Toronto
6. Charlotte
7. Detroit
8. Miami

The East is awful. Those last 3 seeds are a joke. You don't have a single top 25 player between them.

West
1. Golden State
2. Houston
3. OKC
4. San Antonio
5. Minnesota
6. Portland
7. LAC
8. Denver

I've got Golden State and Cleveland again in the Finals, although I think Houston and OKC have an outside shot at beating them. Had Houston managed to get Carmelo by just moving Anderson, I'd have favored them.

Kawhi Leonard for MVP.

De'Aron Fox for ROY.

Last edited:
East

1) Cleveland
2) Toronto
3) Boston
4) Washington
5) Milwaukee
6) Miami
7) Charlotte
8) Philly

West

1) Golden State
2) Houston
3) OKC
4) San Antonio
5) Portland
6) Minnesota
7) LA Clippers
8) New Orleans

Houston better regular season team than OKC but OKC has better shot vs GS.

MVP: John Wall or Kawhi. Only guys without a superstar/major all-star type playing with them and are on solid teams. Beal and Aldridge are good but not like Durant, Love, George, Paul, etc.

Last edited:
East

1. Cavs
2. Washington should be the two seed I think, they are always underrated.
3. Boston
4. Toronto
5-8. Dumpster Fire

West
1. Duh
2. OKC
3. Rockets
4. Spurs
5. Minnesota
6. Portland
7. New Orleans
8. Clips

MVP - LeBron
Champions - Sadly....Duh

East:

1) Boston
2) Cleveland
3) Milwaukee
4) Toronto
5) Washington
6) Miami
7) Charlotte
8) Philly

West:
1) GSW
2) Houston
3) SAS
4) OKC
5) Minny
6) Portland
7) New Orleans
8) Denver

I think that there are a few scenarios that would change this. Ex: it's possible that Washington organizes a trade for Boogie; Boston tries moving some assets for another star; Charlotte tanks with the Batum injury, etc. But, overall, this is how I see it.

I think Cleveland gets through the East pretty easily until the conference Finals. I have Cavs in 6 over Boston.

Also think Golden State has a much harder time in the West this season. I don't think OKC nor Houston will be easy outs. If they face both, I think they probably end up losing in Conference Finals or Finals. If only one, the Warriors are probably winning it all.

I'm going to start with the West because I feel like the East is a little more difficult to sort out:

1. Golden State (70-12) - like @Ruggeder said, duh

2. Houston (57-25) - I feel like either OKC or Houston is going to finish in this spot, and while I think OKC has more top-end talent, Houston gets the nod because I don't think it will take them as long to integrate everyone

3. San Antonio (56-26) - the Spurs are going to continue to do what they do in the regular season: win

4. Oklahoma City (54-28) - I'm a fan of what they did in the off-season, but it will take them a couple of months to get it figured out. If they stay healthy, it's the toughest 2nd round opponent the Warriors have ever had

5. Minnesota (48-34) - this is where it gets tricky. I LOVE the team they've put together. The bench is a little suspect, but that starting five is going to be a really tough out. Vets like Taj and Jimmy are going to help KAT and Wiggins out a ton

6. Denver (46-36) - maybe I'm crazy, but there's a vibe about this team that's hard to ignore. I don't know how they'll be defensively, but they are going to SCORE. And they're going to run. And the advantage of altitude should be a factor again

7. Portland (45-37) - Lillard, McCollum and Nurk are a good enough core to get them here, but man, the wings are suspect. They're frisky, but that's about it

8. Memphis (44-38) - I trust Mike Conley and Marc Gasol more than I do Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan. Really the only reason I put them here
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. LA Clippers (42-40) - this is such a weird team to figure out. They could be solid defensively, but the shooting is a serious question mark. Any finish between 5 and 12 wouldn't surprise me

10. Utah (41-41) - another team with questionable wings. Like the Clippers, anything between 5 and 12 is possible

11. New Orleans (37-45) - I so want this team to figure it out. They've got so much talent, but the fit just flat out isn't good. If they could figure out a way to put a couple of knock down shooters next to AD and Boogie, I think they would be so much better off

12. Dallas (35-47) - this is a weird one because I think they're an easy playoff team in the East with Dirk, DSJ, Wes and Barnes. In the West though? I just can't see them cracking the top-8

13. Sacramento (32-50) - are George Hill and Z-Bo going to play enough to play this team out of the bottom five? That's the main question here

14. LA Lakers (29-53) - sorry, not buying it. Lonzo may be good, but I honestly think Lopez is just taking time away from Zubac who would fit much better with this group. We'll see what happens, but they definitely aren't making the playoffs

15. Phoenix (26-56) - they're two years away from being two years away

The East I need to think on a little more.

Last edited:
OK, here are my sure to be incorrect Eastern Conference predictions:

1. Boston (55-27) - while I don't necessarily think they'll be the team that makes it through the playoffs, I do think they are going to hit the ground running in the regular season. I think the defensive issues are overblown, as their offense is going to be really good over an 82-game season

2. Washington (51-31) - with the Cavs working in so many new parts, the Wizards' continuity gives them a slight edge

3. Cleveland (48-34) - I think people forget that the Raps and Cavs actually had the same record last year. While I don't necessarily foresee as many "chill mode" games, I do think this year will contain more growing pains than people want to admit. There are a lot of new players being integrated, then they have to do it all over again when IT comes back. It won't be easy

4. Toronto (47-35) - I'm giving them this spot over Milwaukee by maybe a game or two

5. Milwaukee (45-37) - they won't catch Toronto, but they'll beat them in the playoffs

6. Detroit (42-40) - I... don't know

7. Miami (42-40) - again, who knows

8. Charlotte (39-43) - why not
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Philadelphia (37-45) - this team is going to be a PROBLEM when Embiid plays. Problem is, I don't know if he'll play enough to make the playoffs

10. Atlanta (33-49) - at this point, I don't think any of these teams are actively trying to win. It's really, really bad

11. Orlando (32-50) - see Atlanta

12. Brooklyn (30-52) - ok, a little bit of a stretch. The Nets ARE trying to win, they just won't be good

13. Indiana (26-56) - see Atlanta

14. New York (24-58) - this is your disaster team, your "team turmoil" if you will

15. Chicago (17-65) - despite what we saw last night, they'll be the worst team in the league... easily

Last edited:
1. Philadelphia will be a Top 5 seed in the East

2. Boston will severely underachieve, and will fall below CLE, WASH, MIL, TOR and PHIL (yes, I am bullish on Philly).

3. The Warriors will not be the 1 Seed in the West (and they don't care)

4. The Spurs will fall down the ladder, being a 7 or 8 seed.

5. Every Head Coach returned from last year. At least 2 will be canned during the season.

Jeezus, this place will be a bear through 34 losses... (@czvo)

Jeezus, this place will be a bear through 34 losses... (@czvo)

Yeah, it won't be great. Now, if IT is back much sooner than expected, I might change that win total to 53-54.

Here are my predictions for fun:

ATL 25
BOS 46
BRK 27
CHA 42
CHI 22
CLE 57
DAL 32
DEN 52
DET 36
GSW 65
HOU 60
IND 28
LAC 40
LAL 30
MEM 34
MIA 45
MIL 49
MIN 46
NOP 40
NYK 32
OKC 52
ORL 34
PHI 40
PHX 26
POR 45
SAC 28
SAS 57
TOR 48
UTA 42
WAS 50

Not gonna justify them one by one ofc, but feel free to call me out if you think one of them is totally dumb though and I'll say my reasoning :biggrinthumb:

EDIT: Minor adjustment after Portis/Mirotic thing.

Last edited:
1. Philadelphia will be a Top 5 seed in the East

2. Boston will severely underachieve, and will fall below CLE, WASH, MIL, TOR and PHIL (yes, I am bullish on Philly).

3. The Warriors will not be the 1 Seed in the West (and they don't care)

4. The Spurs will fall down the ladder, being a 7 or 8 seed.

5. Every Head Coach returned from last year. At least 2 will be canned during the season.
Golden state will care. It's what makes them gs

Might as well throw my EC prediction out the window.

Boston will still have one of the better season in the East.

Here are my predictions for fun:

ATL 25
BOS 46
BRK 27
CHA 42
CHI 22
CLE 57
DAL 32
DEN 52
DET 36
GSW 65
HOU 60
IND 28
LAC 40
LAL 30
MEM 34
MIA 45
MIL 49
MIN 46
NOP 40
NYK 32
OKC 52
ORL 34
PHI 40
PHX 26
POR 45
SAC 28
SAS 57
TOR 48
UTA 42
WAS 50

Not gonna justify them one by one ofc, but feel free to call me out if you think one of them is totally dumb though and I'll say my reasoning :biggrinthumb:

EDIT: Minor adjustment after Portis/Mirotic thing.

Do the number of wins add up to the number of games played in the NBA reg season?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."