• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017 Cleveland Browns Defense

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

dark2332

Yeah, I’m thinking I’m back.
Reaction score
I noticed that quote from Jackson about Peppers:

“Oh, man, he is a football player. I like Jabrill,” Jackson said. “What you saw is why we put him on the team. He is an energy bunny. He likes playing the game. He likes to be around the football. He likes to be in the mix of it all. Those are the kind of guys that we put on this team, and I am excited about that.”

When the Browns made some surprising cuts last fall, there was one consistent thread. Lots of guys who don't "get into the mix" in a physical game. Prioritizing strong safety over other defensive back holes sets a tone.
I think that's the theme of these defensive guys this year in general. I'm pumped; I truly am.

Peppers is a tone-setter, as you mentioned. He's also a leader. I see him being the voice of this defense, like a Brian Dawkins was for the 'Iggles. We are going to love him.

Myles Garrett, another tone-setter with star potential from the get-go. A guy who will hold a young defensive line accountable. A guy who will demand our defensive line to strive for greatness, as he will by setting an example.

Larry Ogunjobi, a guy who is smart, tough, and the hardest worker we may have had in a Cleveland Browns uniform. He's another guy who wants to be great and no one is going to slow him down. In an interview with CBD, he mentioned the amazing resources and weight room the Browns have. He mentioned there is no reason at all to not be great with such amazing resources. He's a worker. I hope the rest of our players take advantage and follow his example.

Howard Wilson. His injury is unfortunate, but he's a guy that just loves playing football. His energy and excitement for the game are contagious. We need more of that on this team.

Even moving to some of the other young guys we are starting to accumulate:

Danny Shelton, a player starting to come into his own. He's loud, he's positive, and he is the guy who has been trying very hard to give this team a positive vibe when you discuss that side of the ball. I've questioned his work-ethic, but it seems he's getting to the point of figuring that out. He's always been an energy on the field. The goal is to be able to keep him on the field more as he gets in better shape.

Carl Nassib, a guy who is 100% self-made. He's a hard worker and a hustle player. For all the things Garrett has been criticized with taking plays off, you will never see that out of Carl Nassib. The motor never stops.

Obviously, Ogbah is another physical freak who we expect big things from opposite of Garrett... I think the two of them will push one another.

Christian Kirksey is starting to emerge as a star and a defensive leader....

Jamie Collins is an athletic freak with pedigree and signed on to stay here because he believes we are close. He believes in the coaches. He wanted to be a part of this....

It's just getting to the point now where this defense is becoming a bunch of young dudes who are on the cusp of making this city proud. We just need some talent in the defensive backfield (aside from Peppers) and we are well on our way.

I fear Haden is either going to need to move to FS or he won't be around for the coming glory days.

Last edited:
I decided to move this out of the quarterback thread because it's a good start on discussing the major change from last year. The past three drafts were heavy investments in the front seven. Questions remain about the defensive backs, but hopefully the pass rush covers some of these deficiencies.

A pass rush would work wonders for this defense. Personally I'm liking the fact we should have a play maker at every level between Garrett, Kirksey & Collins, and Peppers in the secondary.

I think he's really good. Very instinctive player with speed.

I agree. Coming out of Iowa, he was a guy who was outstanding in coverage as a linebacker due to his 4.5 speed and instincts. He was a bit undersized.

To his credit, since joining the Browns, he's gotten bigger. However, I didn't realize the force he'd become against the run, and his ability to shed blocks. He's been great playing inside.

Now, this year, moving to a very natural WILL spot for him in the base package while also staying on the field when we go to two 'backers and load up on DB's... it's a perfect marriage. It depends how this team performs, but I could see him in the Pro Bowl. Outside of Peppers, he's probably our most versatile player defensively.

I know it's a priority for Sashi and the boys, but I think they need to lock him up this offseason. He's in for a big year. 24 years old, coming off a near 150 tackle season, and moving to a natural spot in this Gregg Williams defense.... what's not to like?

The most important thing is that Gregg Williams has a knack for developing defensive line talent. He turned Aaron Donald into a machine, I believe he was in NO for Cameron Jordan's early years, he developed Robert Quinn, ect. Im not sure he has ever had the talent potential that he has here.

Myles Garrett and Shelton both have the potential to be stud pass rushers. Shelton is a freaky NT. Ogunjobi is a rare athlete for his size. Brantley has a ton of talent, Nassib is still growing into his body and Meder is the ultimate overachiever.

I cannot wait to see what these guys do under Williams. I try not to be too excited, but this defensive line could be the best assembled talent in Browns history.

I agree. Coming out of Iowa, he was a guy who was outstanding in coverage as a linebacker due to his 4.5 speed and instincts. He was a bit undersized.

To his credit, since joining the Browns, he's gotten bigger. However, I didn't realize the force he'd become against the run, and his ability to shed blocks. He's been great playing inside.

Now, this year, moving to a very natural WILL spot for him in the base package while also staying on the field when we go to two 'backers and load up on DB's... it's a perfect marriage. It depends how this team performs, but I could see him in the Pro Bowl. Outside of Peppers, he's probably our most versatile player defensively.

I know it's a priority for Sashi and the boys, but I think they need to lock him up this offseason. He's in for a big year. 24 years old, coming off a near 150 tackle season, and moving to a natural spot in this Gregg Williams defense.... what's not to like?

I think he's a Pro Bowler this year. As you say, he was supposed to be a coverage guy, then bulked up and became much more. Considering where he was drafted, it's difficult to think of a more successful draft pick since the return. Lock him up.

Kirksey is the best thing Ray Farmer has ever done for us. Stud.

Crow off the UDFA scrap heap was also pretty slick.

Sure, we failed on our first rounders at a glorious level of idiocy in 2014.... but at least we walked away from that draft class with Bitonio, Kirksey, and Crowell.

Three solid starters. Two of which project to have careers of being fringe/Pro Bowl players (Bitonio/Kirko).

First, I think the Browns' first priority as far as signings go is him. Juice said something in here about Bitonio being worked-on and it came out to be right; something about Kirksey was said in that post as well (I think).

I remember saying something to my cousin about Kirksey being a solid pick by Farmer back before the 2015 season because he was showing flashes. That fell on deaf ears at the time due to the ire towards Farmer, but it just goes to show you that some guys just take some time to get there. Kirksey wasn't a stud in years 1 & 2 although he showed flashes and was dependable, but he's blossomed into something special given time with the organization. Let's hope this development curve was noticed by the front office and, more importantly, the Haslams.

Crow off the UDFA scrap heap was also pretty slick.

Sure, we failed on our first rounders at a glorious level of idiocy in 2014.... but at least we walked away from that draft class with Bitonio, Kirksey, and Crowell.

Three solid starters. Two of which project to have careers of being fringe/Pro Bowl players (Bitonio/Kirko).

Bitonio was a solid pick also, but you're right about Crowell. Farmer's draft outside those few pick-ups were pretty horrid, though.

We are still a few players away from feeling like a good unit from top to bottom but it finally feels like we are laying the foundation for a very good defense...lots of young hungry guys that were all playmakers in college that can grow together. It's just time for a bit more NFL seasoning.

We still need someone to establish themselves as the leader of the defense to give us an identity we can rally behind. All great NFL defenses have that guy that can make one play that raises the rest of the team. Is it Jamie Collins? He doesn't strike me as that type. I hope one emerges this season. It would do wonders for us moving forward.

Regardless, I haven't been this excited about our defense in years.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."