• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017 MLB Offseason

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BimboColesHair

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Figure we should have a thread for all the other clubs as well.

Manager hires:

Arizona - Torey Lovullo
Colorado - Bud Black
CHI White Sox - Rick Renteria

Qualifying offers:

Jose Bautista - Toronto - REJECTED
Yoenis Cespedes - NY Mets - REJECTED
Ian Desmond - Texas - REJECTED
Edwin Encarnacion - Toronto - REJECTED
Dexter Fowler - CHI Cubs - REJECTED
Jeremy Hellickson - Philadelphia - ACCEPTED
Kenley Jansen - LA Dodgers - REJECTED
Justin Turner - LA Dodgers - REJECTED
Neil Walker - NY Mets - ACCEPTED
Mark Trumbo - Baltimore - REJECTED

Free agent tracker: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017-mlb-free-agent-tracker

Key dates:

11/8 - free agency begins
11/14 - deadline to accept or reject qualifying offers
11/18 - deadline to place Rule 5 eligible prospects onto the 40 man
12/1 - MLB CBA expires
12/2 - Arbitration and pre-arbitration tender deadline
12/5-12/8 - MLB Winter Meetings
12/8 - Rule 5 Draft

Trades:

Howie Kendrick to Philly
Danny Valencia to Seattle
Carlos Ruiz to Seattle
Vidal Nuno to LA Dodgers
Cameron Maybin to LA Angels

Signings:

Bartolo Colon to Atlanta
RA Dickey to Atlanta
Kendrys Morales to Toronto
Jesse Chavez to LA Angels

Last edited:
Tigers blowing it up?

Detroit Tigers willing to listen on Miguel Cabrera, Justin Verlander

The Tigers are willing to listen to offers for both Justin Verlander and Miguel Cabrera, reports FanRag blogger Jon Heyman. For that matter, Heyman says, the Tigers are “willing to discuss” Justin Upton, Jordan Zimmermann, Victor Martinez, and probably anyone else you can imagine.

The Tigers are not saying they are rebuilding, but rather suggesting they are “charting a new course.” In any case, they are trying to cut payroll by about $27 million, from the current $216 million to just under the current luxury tax threshold of $189 million, if they can.

To be certain, it’s not going to be easy to make a deal, which alone makes one less likely to occur. Cabrera and Verlander both have 10-and-5 rights, meaning they’ve been in the league for 10 years and have spent the last five of them with the same team, so they can block any trade they don’t want to happen. That gives them some power, and takes away the Tigers’ ability to negotiate somewhat. It’s no longer Team A vs. Team B, so much as Team A vs. How Badly Detroit Wants To Deal.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2016/11...iguel-cabrera-justin-verlander-detroit-tigers

Tigers blowing it up?

Detroit Tigers willing to listen on Miguel Cabrera, Justin Verlander

The Tigers are willing to listen to offers for both Justin Verlander and Miguel Cabrera, reports FanRag blogger Jon Heyman. For that matter, Heyman says, the Tigers are “willing to discuss” Justin Upton, Jordan Zimmermann, Victor Martinez, and probably anyone else you can imagine.

The Tigers are not saying they are rebuilding, but rather suggesting they are “charting a new course.” In any case, they are trying to cut payroll by about $27 million, from the current $216 million to just under the current luxury tax threshold of $189 million, if they can.

To be certain, it’s not going to be easy to make a deal, which alone makes one less likely to occur. Cabrera and Verlander both have 10-and-5 rights, meaning they’ve been in the league for 10 years and have spent the last five of them with the same team, so they can block any trade they don’t want to happen. That gives them some power, and takes away the Tigers’ ability to negotiate somewhat. It’s no longer Team A vs. Team B, so much as Team A vs. How Badly Detroit Wants To Deal.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2016/11...iguel-cabrera-justin-verlander-detroit-tigers

It's almost like their poor spending habits have rendered their team in an unwinnable position and strapped for making improvements to a broken team.

But they spent when the time was right.

It's almost like their poor spending habits have rendered their team in an unwinnable position and strapped for making improvements to a broken team.

But they spent when the time was right.

The spending got them 4 straight division titles, 2 ALCS appearances and an AL pennant. You can argue worth there but it got results. They inevitably couldn't get over the World Series hump but the Tigers averaged 90+ wins a season for 4 straight years, which sort of proves that spending will win you games doesn't it?

Nothing can guarantee a World Series but the Tigers were one of the top 2-3 most successful organizations during that spending spree (record wise), which I think underscores why you need to maximize your chances if your window opens. The Tigers went 4 straight years playing .550+ baseball and now they are potentially tearing it down just 18 months later.

Also, I wouldn't put it past the Tigers to trade Cabrera to the Red Sox just to fuck us.

That team and fan base is insanely resentful that the Indians are now good and the Tigers leash has run out.

Boston unfortunately has the prospects and payroll to do it too.......which is why I'll be rooting for them to overspend on Encarnacion.

I'd rather have the Red Sox trade for Miguel than sign Edwin. If they're dumb enough to pay Miguel $30 million/year until he's 40 while giving up a couple top prospects (who are really damn good by the way), awesome.

EDIT: On the other hand, it would help the Tigers, so that would suck.

The spending got them 4 straight division titles, 2 ALCS appearances and an AL pennant. You can argue worth there but it got results. They inevitably couldn't get over the World Series hump but the Tigers averaged 90+ wins a season for 4 straight years, which sort of proves that spending will win you games doesn't it?

Nothing can guarantee a World Series but the Tigers were one of the top 2-3 most successful organizations during that spending spree (record wise), which I think underscores why you need to maximize your chances if your window opens. The Tigers went 4 straight years playing .550+ baseball and now they are potentially tearing it down just 18 months later.

If they spent their money more wisely, perhaps they wouldn't have to tear it down at all?

Prince Fielder, Anibal Sanchez, Justin Upton, Jordan Zimmerman.

Their four biggest free agent signings could be the reason why they're so strapped to rebuild right now.

Tying their free spending style to the poor free agent moves they've made would be a mistake. Their best moves in free agency have often come well under the radar (except maybe Victor).

Kenny Rogers, Jose Valverde, Joaquin Benoit, Jhonny Peralta, Torii Hunter all come to mind.

I'd rather have the Red Sox trade for Miguel than sign Edwin. If they're dumb enough to pay Miguel $30 million/year until he's 40 while giving up a couple top prospects (who are really damn good by the way), awesome.

I don't even think it would take a couple though. Detroit is in an awful spot. If Boston offered one of their top 3 guys and agreed to absorb his contract, I guarantee Detroit would dump him.

Encarnacion is the same age as Cabrera and not even in the same universe as a pure hitter. A guy like Cabrera who hits for both average and power as a RH bat would post ungodly numbers in Fenway. Imagine him in a lineup with that much protection around him....it makes me want to vomit.

I hope the Indians, if they decide to spend money on free agents, they spend it wisely.

I don't even think it would take a couple though. Detroit is in an awful spot. If Boston offered one of their top 3 guys and agreed to absorb his contract, I guarantee Detroit would dump him.

Encarnacion is the same age as Cabrera and not even in the same universe as a pure hitter. A guy like Cabrera who hits for both average and power as a RH bat would post ungodly numbers in Fenway. Imagine him in a lineup with that much protection around him....it makes me want to vomit.

If you believe the Red Sox would only have to give up one top 3 guy, I can see why you'd prefer they sign Encarnacion. I don't believe that for a second though.

I would give up all of Columbus & Akron to get Miggy.

If you believe the Red Sox would only have to give up one top 3 guy, I can see why you'd prefer they sign Encarnacion. I don't believe that for a second though.

I just think the market for him, given his contract, is just non-existent. He has $212 million in guaranteed money left. That is just an insane number. There's probably only what? 2-3 teams in the league that are even capable of doing that? Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox?

Tigers have zero leverage if they're floating names for tax purposes. Cabrera is a great player but with that contract? 1 high level prospect and salary relief seems like as good as they could do. Maybe I am completely wrong.

I just think the market for him, given his contract, is just non-existent. He has $212 million in guaranteed money left. That is just an insane number. There's probably only what? 2-3 teams in the league that are even capable of doing that? Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox?

Tigers have zero leverage if they're floating names for tax purposes. Cabrera is a great player but with that contract? 1 high level prospect and salary relief seems like as good as they could do. Maybe I am completely wrong.

To be honest, neither of us know his price tag. We're both just making educated guesses. If it happens we'll see. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm right. If you're right, I hope they sign Encarnacion instead.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."