• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017 Playoff Picture

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Walter White

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It is getting about that time and I wanted a place to discuss playoff matchups.

Assuming Celtics stay 2nd seed, first theoretical question: Would you rather see Wizards or Raptors in the 2nd round? Or I guess in the event Celtics drop, would you rather play Celtics?

Who would you want to play in the 1st round? Likely between Pacers, Bulls, Pistons. Possibly Heat, Bucks, or Hornets.

In the West, spots 4-7 are solid and could move around in any direction. But who do you want to get the 8th seed? Between Nuggets, Blazers, Mavs, Wolves, (and I guess Kings??). Outside shot of Pelicans but I doubt it.

I'll answer first what I'm thinking at this point in time.

Well first off, I'd rather sweep Hawks in 2nd round and let Korver light them up but I didn't ask that. Celtics, Wizards, and Raptors are about all on the same level to me and it doesn't really matter. But if I had to choose to play one in the 2nd round, I'd probably go with Raptors. Although a John Wall vs Kyrie playoff matchup would be fun, I think Wizards are better. And Celtics, jury is still out a little bit. We will see if they prove they are legit and can lock up the 2nd seed.

If I had to choose out of those 3 most likely 8th seed teams, I think I would go with the Bulls. I'm kind of shocked Bulls aren't a lottery team. Pistons would be more of a grind it out but still would be sweep. Pacers have the most potential to be a tougher playoff opponent even though they have disappointed this year. I could see the Pacers upsetting a 2 or 3 seed in the 1st round.

For West 8th seed, I'd go with Nuggs or Blazers. I thought Blazers were going to be a top 4 seed this year and I got that completely wrong, but they looked pretty good last year in the playoffs. Nuggets have some depth and Jokic has emerged so they could be toughest out of those teams. Mavs, they could be decent picking up Noel and it would be kind of fun to see what Yogi and Seth could do on the big stage, but once again, I'm more surprised they aren't worse. They do have a great coach though and one last hurrah for Dirk would be cool. But I think they would get swept much easier than Nuggets or Blazers.

Tl;dr: I'd rather play Raptors in 2nd round over Wiz. I'd play Bulls in 8th spot. And I'd pick Nuggets or Blazers in 8th spot for West. Maybe Mavs? Not sure.

I think Washington is extremely overrated and would love to sweep them in the postseason. The Cavs would have Wall figured out in no time at all defensively.

Toronto is just really deep and and physical and they match up with the Cavs individually better than anyone else in the east. I'm not thrilled about having to deal with them in the second round. Not worried about losing per se, but not fun, much like Chicago in 2015.

Boston in the ECF is inevitable unless Toronto becomes the 3 seed and can beat them. The ECF will be a lot of fun, but ultimately, nobody in the east should even be able to push the Cavs to a game 7.

As for the west, I'd love to see Golden State fall to the 2 seed and have to beat both Houston and San Antonio. The Clippers look mentally broken, so as much as people will try to hype up GS and LAC, that series is probably 5 games max.

Give me another 4-0 sweep against the Pistons. I'll take a 4-0 sweep against the Hornets as well.

I wouldn't be too afraid of any others. I'd rather not face Miami, Milwaukee, or Chicago in round 1. Pacers might squeak a game out.... maybe.

I'd go with Hawks in 2nd.... another possible sweep.

Rather face Toronto than Washington in the ECF but it would be a fun series to watch if the Wiz made it.

Fuck Boston.

I'd like to see HOU get to the Western Finals and push GSW with their Cavs-like physicality.
OKC to beat up on the Dubs in the divisional. And even a Blazers team in the first round to take the Dubs to 6.

For the Cavs, the Eastern title is not guaranteed, because the conference is stronger this year. BOS and TOR are legit!

Give me another 4-0 sweep against the Pistons. I'll take a 4-0 sweep against the Hornets as well.
When there best player can't hit a free throw to save his life, it makes it easy when he likely can't even see minutes in the 4th. The thing I don't like about the Pistons is they are a physical team but I guess I wouldn't mind another "competitive sweep". We haven't played the Bulls when healthy and I'd think we would easy sweep them. Bulls lost Taj and McDermott, like two of their biggest threats against us.

I'd love to see Korver light up the Hawks like I mentioned and I would love to sweep them again, but I don't think they will beat Raptors or Wiz. Not saying they don't have a decent chance, I just doubt it. If Lowry comes back rusty or him and Demar are in prime playoff form, then Hawks could definitely beat them.

As for the west, I'd love to see Golden State fall to the 2 seed and have to beat both Houston and San Antonio. The Clippers look mentally broken, so as much as people will try to hype up GS and LAC, that series is probably 5 games max.
I agree. Although I'm skeptical Houston's style is going to be as successful in the playoffs. I guess it all depends on Harden. Last year Harden crumbled if I remember correctly.

But yea, no Clippers. Clippers are getting swept.

I'd like to see HOU get to the Western Finals and push GSW with their Cavs-like physicality.
OKC to beat up on the Dubs in the divisional. And even a Blazers team in the first round to take the Dubs to 6.

For the Cavs, the Eastern title is not guaranteed, because the conference is stronger this year. BOS and TOR are legit!

...Have you watched much of the Rockets? They're soft as heck.

I want Boston so bad. I'm reading alot of Celtics in 6 comments on Cavs highlights from YouTube and twitter. Let's sweep a Boston team 3 years in a row.

That midget Isaiah Thomas isn't going to beat LeBron, Kyrie, and Love. We own Horford. Crowder's defensive metrics are way down. Bradley isn't bad.

Cavs in 5 over Boston.

That Rockets/Warriors series would be who can out shoot the other team. Literally no defense.
Aren't the Warriors the second best defensive team in basketball this year? In terms of defensive efficiency stats, they are. Eye test may tell a different story, but overall, they are one of the better defensive units in basketball. That series would have high scoring games because of pace, not because Warriors are bad at defense.

Houston is a team that I think is in serious jeopardy of getting upset in the 1st round, no matter who they play. Their style, their players....we'll see, but a healthy Memphis or OKC can beat them.

Houston is a team that I think is in serious jeopardy of getting upset in the 1st round, no matter who they play. Their style, their players....we'll see, but a healthy Memphis or OKC can beat them.
I agree. I don't think jacking up 50 threes a game is a smart strategy for a slow, grind it out playoff atmosphere. Well, I don't think OKC has the talent to beat them and I don't think they would play smart enough to take advantage of that. But Grizz or Jazz definitely could.

I think Grizz or Jazz actually have an outside chance of making the Finals this year, which they otherwise wouldn't stand a chance. They normally don't have the offensive firepower to challenge GSW, but they could if KD is missing. After that, they possess the ability to beat the Rockets or Spurs. Spurs would still be the favorite, but you never know what can happen. Never know who will under or over perform.

And I'd like to say Clippers have a chance, but it's the Clippers. I doubt they could even beat the Warriors without KD.

Okc can bully them. Houston is a soft team. Now with Gibson to go along with Adams...I'm tempted to take OKC in that series.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."