• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2017 Spring Training Advice

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ADLinden

Rookie
Reaction score
I am going to spring training in Arizona for the first time (I went once during high school in Winter Haven). My dad and I are planning on being there March 1-4 and will get to see three games (2nd-4th) in three different stadiums (Dodgers in Glendale, Rockies at Goodyear, and Athletics at Mesa). We are flying from Cleveland into Phoenix.

As I have never been there, I thought we could have a thread about best practices for going to spring training. So, if you have been there, do you have any recommendations about where to stay, how to travel (from the airport or around the area), others things to do besides the games in the afternoon, etc.

Is anyone else going this year, and what are your plans?

I am going to spring training in Arizona for the first time (I went once during high school in Winter Haven). My dad and I are planning on being there March 1-4 and will get to see three games (2nd-4th) in three different stadiums (Dodgers in Glendale, Rockies at Goodyear, and Athletics at Mesa). We are flying from Cleveland into Phoenix.

As I have never been there, I thought we could have a thread about best practices for going to spring training. So, if you have been there, do you have any recommendations about where to stay, how to travel (from the airport or around the area), others things to do besides the games in the afternoon, etc.

On my phone now heading to the Pens game, but you've made a great decision on your three stadiums to attend.

Talking Stick (Rockies) is the best park on the AZL circuit and is worth going to.

Some great food and beverage places around there, don't settle for any chain restaurant while you're in town.

Will try to go into more detail tomorrow when I've got some time.

If you want to PM me, we can talk. I have lived here for 15 years and I am walking distance from talking stick.

How old are you? What do you like for food? I would rent a car, dont think twice. Keep in mind Goodyear where the Indians play is a west suburb and scottsdale and Mesa is near east suburb. They are about 45 mins apart without traffic.

Where you stay depends on allot of things, but near goodyear would be cheap, but in scottsdale would be fun if you are 21 and want to enjoy the night life, or you could stay near westage in glendale and enjoy nightlife theer.

Its a big city, 4.5 million people, and you are not giving it a ton of time, so need some idea what you would think you want to do.

On my phone now heading to the Pens game, but you've made a great decision on your three stadiums to attend.

Talking Stick (Rockies) is the best park on the AZL circuit and is worth going to.

Some great food and beverage places around there, don't settle for any chain restaurant while you're in town.

Will try to go into more detail tomorrow when I've got some time.

Awesome. Looks like I am just lucky as those are the three games Cleveland is playing while we are there. Thanks for the input, looking forward to hearing more!

If you want to PM me, we can talk. I have lived here for 15 years and I am walking distance from talking stick.

How old are you? What do you like for food? I would rent a car, dont think twice. Keep in mind Goodyear where the Indians play is a west suburb and scottsdale and Mesa is near east suburb. They are about 45 mins apart without traffic.

Where you stay depends on allot of things, but near goodyear would be cheap, but in scottsdale would be fun if you are 21 and want to enjoy the night life, or you could stay near westage in glendale and enjoy nightlife theer.

Its a big city, 4.5 million people, and you are not giving it a ton of time, so need some idea what you would think you want to do.

Thanks for helping out! I will just ask here so other people can get some advice if they are going. Good call on the car--we will probably just grab one at the airport.

I'm 29--dad is 59. Thus, we will definitely be looking for good restaurants and bars, but nothing too crazy (i.e. no nightclub-style places etc.). We both like Mexican-style food. I'm sure there are a ton. So, any recommendations about specific ones would be great. We are both sort of history-buffs, so we might be looking any good rec's of historic sites/museums/anything like that for the morning before any of the games. Also, I am a runner--any good suggestions on places that are great for that?

I was only in AZ for spring training for one day a few years ago ago so I can't comment on the whole experience, but as a native Arizonan I will say to ask around and find a great Mexican restaurant. Again, I can't give a particular place to recommend, it's been too long, but I suggest eating local as there are numerous great mom and pop Mexican places.

Also, I am a runner--any good suggestions on places that are great for that?

Just about everywhere :p To the east is Tonto National Forest, lots of great trails if you trail run.

Mission in Scottsdale. Lee can attest.

Thanks for helping out! I will just ask here so other people can get some advice if they are going. Good call on the car--we will probably just grab one at the airport.

I'm 29--dad is 59. Thus, we will definitely be looking for good restaurants and bars, but nothing too crazy (i.e. no nightclub-style places etc.). We both like Mexican-style food. I'm sure there are a ton. So, any recommendations about specific ones would be great. We are both sort of history-buffs, so we might be looking any good rec's of historic sites/museums/anything like that for the morning before any of the games. Also, I am a runner--any good suggestions on places that are great for that?

Camelback mountain is amazing, take a ton of water, and not necessarily a run, more of a hike...tons of mexican, litteraly tons. Old Town Scottsdale is where you should stay and hang out, great atmosphere, like a french quarter almost, I will think on the historic and specific restaurants.

Mission in Scottsdale. Lee can attest.

I have never been to mission, about 3 or 4 miles from me and i go around there all the time, its old town.

Heard good things though, just have yet to get around to it. Scottsdale is a food town and i like the high end steak places allot.

Barrio Queen is a reasonably priced one i like, gets similar positive as Mission, so try them both and see which one you like better, lol.

There is the heard museum, that is good for history.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."