• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 Cleveland Indians

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
C - Yan Gomes - 2021
1B - Carlos Santana - FA
2B - Jason Kipnis - 2020
3B - Jose Ramirez - 2022
SS - Francisco Lindor - 2021
LF - Michael Brantley - 2018
CF - Bradley Zimmer - 2023
RF - Jay Bruce - FA
DH - Edwin Encarnacion - 2020

C - Roberto Perez - 2019
OF - Brandon Guyer - 2018
OF - Lonnie Chisenhall - 2018
IF - Erik Gonzalez - 2021

SP - Corey Kluber - 2021
SP - Carlos Carrasco - 2020
SP - Trevor Bauer - 2020
SP - Danny Salazar - 2020
SP - Josh Tomlin - 2018
SP - Mike Clevinger - 2022

CL - Cody Allen - 2018
CL - Andrew Miller - 2018
RP - Bryan Shaw - FA
RP - Joe Smith - FA
RP - Dan Otero - 2019
RP - Nick Goody - 2022

Other Roster Possibilities.

RP - Kyle Crockett - 2020
RP - Zach McAllister - 2018
OF - Austin Jackson - FA
OF - Greg Allen
C - Francisco Mejia
IF - Yandy Diaz
OF - Abraham Almonte - 2021
OF -Tyler Naquin - 2021
SP - Ryan Merritt - 2021
3B - Giovanny Urshela - 2020

I'd like to bring Jackson and Shaw back

I know everyone hates Shaw but he's actually damn good for his role and has come up big in the playoffs

I'd like to bring Santana back but I just don't think there's a chance of it

A Zimmer-Allen-Chiz outfield

black-baby.jpg

I'd like to bring Jackson and Shaw back

I know everyone hates Shaw but he's actually damn good for his role and has come up big in the playoffs

I'd like to bring Santana back but I just don't think there's a chance of it
Shaw is probably worth bringing back but I don’t know how much he even wants to come back. Inevitably some team will offer him more money and a bigger role as a set-up man.

Shaw is probably worth bringing back but I don’t know how much he even wants to come back. Inevitably some team will offer him more money and a bigger role as a set-up man.

Just a hunch, but Shaw will get paid more than we will be willing to go, and to the surprise of many here with what I think he gets, and I think he wants out of Cleveland bad.

Just a hunch, but Shaw will get paid more than we will be willing to go, and to the surprise of many here with what I think he gets, and I think he wants out of Cleveland bad.

I doubt Shaw will be back, but there is still a slight chance we do since he is actually a really good reliever and this team will try to win again in 18.

I have a question for you since you are one of the minor league experts, who do you think the Indians need to add to the 40 man roster this offseason to protect them from the rule 5 draft?

I doubt Shaw will be back, but there is still a slight chance we do since he is actually a really good reliever and this team will try to win again in 18.

I have a question for you since you are one of the minor league experts, who do you think the Indians need to add to the 40 man roster this offseason to protect them from the rule 5 draft?

Not really any important guys.

Maybe Haase is the most likely candidate, since I could see him being grabbed with how thin C is in the league...even more so if Mejia moves to 3B permanently, which I doubt though.

Not really any important guys.

Maybe Haase is the most likely candidate, since I could see him being grabbed with how thin C is in the league...even more so if Mejia moves to 3B permanently, which I doubt though.

I am expecting guys like Ronny Rodriguez and Merryweather to be added since we will have about 5-6 spots available. Haase was another I think we may add. How good is Haase as a catcher since i am not as familiar with him? Do expect us to really scour the waiver wire since we don't need to protect a ton of guys this offseason?

I don't expect Mejia to move to 3B permanently, but I think like the Blue Jays did with Gomes, it allows him to have flexibility going forward just in case.

Here is the salary information for 2018

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLE/cleveland-indians-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

We have 76M Committed Salary
2017 Salary
Chiz, 4.3M -> Around 5.2 for Arbitration
Cody Allen 7.34M -> 8-9M (May be lower based on injury)
Bauer 3.55M -> 5.5M
Salazar 3.4M -> 5.5 M
Zach McAllister 1.82M -> 3M
Dan Otero 1.05M -> 2M
Abe Almonte Let walk

Are Arbitration Eligible. i put their current salary and possible arb numbers in there).

That puts the roster at 91M (86 if 10M for the arb players and 96 for the high end).

That leaves 10 M for the following FAs

Shaw
Bruce
Santana
Smith

Pick 1 that is all you are keeping

Brantley has a team option (I wouldn't pick it up he can't stay healthy and the Youth Movement in the outfield).

Logan has a team option (1m)
so does Tomlin (755k)

Those will probably be picked up.

I highly doubt we add salary and we may look to shed contracts. It is unlikely we go above the 100M mark or if we do it will be just above.

I am expecting guys like Ronny Rodriguez and Merryweather to be added since we will have about 5-6 spots available. Haase was another I think we may add. How good is Haase as a catcher since i am not as familiar with him? Do expect us to really scour the waiver wire since we don't need to protect a ton of guys this offseason?

I don't expect Mejia to move to 3B permanently, but I think like the Blue Jays did with Gomes, it allows him to have flexibility going forward just in case.

No way on Rodriguez. I leave him off and dare someone to keep him on their 25 man for the entire season, then laugh at whoever does that...why no one will. He'll maybe get on the 40 man when we have to cut bait with one of Gio or Gonzalez, but he has no business being protected.

Merryweather I can see being added, just because I could see someone like the Padres or some shitty team like that using him as a reliever.

Haase has always been a good defensive C. He is very, very athletic for a C, and he uses that well, plus has a good arm. If the offense is legit, which I think it has a good chance to be with what he showed in the AZFL, he should be protected, plus most teams usually 40 man 3 or 4 catchers anyways.

Only problem with him is that he kind of looks like Lucroy, so people will hate him for that.

I do. I have a friend who is big into Minor League baseball (and he knows a minor league baseball expert for the Indians).

Rumor has it Mejia can't handle a pitching staff. So they are looking to move him to 3rd so he can play in the field. Otherwise he is probably your DH next year with EE going back to 1B. Bobby Bradley is probably another year away at 1b.

No way on Rodriguez. I leave him off and dare someone to keep him on their 25 man for the entire season, then laugh at whoever does that...why no one will. He'll maybe get on the 40 man when we have to cut bait with one of Gio or Gonzalez, but he has no business being protected.

Merryweather I can see being added, just because I could see someone like the Padres or some shitty team like that using him as a reliever.

Haase has always been a good defensive C. He is very, very athletic for a C, and he uses that well, plus has a good arm. If the offense is legit, which I think it has a good chance to be with what he showed in the AZFL, he should be protected, plus most teams usually 40 man 3 or 4 catchers anyways.

Only problem with him is that he kind of looks like Lucroy, so people will hate him for that.

I have no issues with Lucroy since when he is healthy he is a solid catcher and if Haase can come close to his ability then I am all for it. Merryweather to me probably should be protected since like you said young arms like him may get taken by a bad team who needs the arms.

Part of me says Ronny at least has a shot of making the 40 man roster next season since he did have a good year at AAA and plays a bunch of positions. As strange as it sounds, he has actually been a pretty good 2B by his numbers both hitting and fielding this season. It is quite possible a team who is in need of a 2B actually goes and gets him. I mean by his numbers it says he will get a chance at some point, but whether or not he proves himself is the question.

I do. I have a friend who is big into Minor League baseball (and he knows a minor league baseball expert for the Indians).

Rumor has it Mejia can't handle a pitching staff. So they are looking to move him to 3rd so he can play in the field. Otherwise he is probably your DH next year with EE going back to 1B. Bobby Bradley is probably another year away at 1b.

Meh...somewhat true.

Mejia hasn't really been asked to handle a pitching staff yet, though, and that's not really something minor league catchers do anymore anyways, especially in the lower levels.

His lack of English has been mentioned enough on here as well, and I won't get into how sloppy he is with his footwork for throws at times, which negates one of the best arms in all of baseball, regardless of position or league.

I think the move to 3B is more of an attempt to find a way to get him in more games than he would see at C and get him more ABs. His frame scares people, as far as his longevity at the C position goes, and his bat is too good to take out of the lineup for rest.

Think they are just looking for more ways to get his bat in the lineup, as opposed to being disappointed about his catching skills.

I have no issues with Lucroy since when he is healthy he is a solid catcher and if Haase can come close to his ability then I am all for it. Merryweather to me probably should be protected since like you said young arms like him may get taken by a bad team who needs the arms.

Part of me says Ronny at least has a shot of making the 40 man roster next season since he did have a good year at AAA and plays a bunch of positions. As strange as it sounds, he has actually been a pretty good 2B by his numbers both hitting and fielding this season. It is quite possible a team who is in need of a 2B actually goes and gets him. I mean by his numbers it says he will get a chance at some point, but whether or not he proves himself is the question.

I don't mean Haase plays like Lucroy...I mean he looks like him, in the face. At least I think he does.

But shit, I hope he turns into a Lucroy type catcher.

And Ronny Rodriguez does nothing for me. Good organizational depth, and he might get a 40 man spot out of necessity this next year since I don't think we keep both Gio and Erik Gonzalez...but he has no business being protected for the rule 5 draft. If someone takes him, wish them luck, cause they are wasting a 25 man spot.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."