• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 College Football Season/Playoff Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ohio

Woosah
Reaction score
Lost in the hoopla of the past week, the preseason coaches poll was released:

1 Alabama (61)
2 Clemson (3)
3 Ohio State (1)
4 Georgia
5 Oklahoma
6 Washington
7 Wisconsin
8 Miami (Fla.)
9 Penn State
10 Auburn
11 Notre Dame
12 Michigan State
13 Stanford
14 Michigan
15 Southern California
16 TCU
17 Virginia Tech
18 Mississippi State
19 Florida State
20 West Virginia
21 Texas
22 Boise State
23 UCF
24 LSU
25 Oklahoma State

So what power-5 conference(s) gets left out of the big dance this year?

Going to guess that it's the Big-12. Oklahoma, TCU, and Oklahoma State pretty much are that conference, and hopefully the Buckeyes take TCU out of it relatively early. I can see these guys getting left out if Washington, USC, or Notre Dame have a good year.

I'm going to guess the final-4 is, in no order:
- Alabama
- Clemson
- Ohio State
- Washington

Haven't really done a ton of research on the other schools like I usually have by this point in the year because of all of the Urban/Smith stuff, but I'd assume either OSU or Penn State represents the B1G, Alabama is already in based on the committee's history, Clemson or Miami will come out of the ACC, and I'm predicting Washington to have a big year and make their second appearance.

Yeah, the Big 12 by far has the worst odds of having a playoff team. Oklahoma is essentially their only hope.

The Washington pick has become trendy, and I like it, but I think there's a real good chance we get a non conference Champion again this year.

If I had to guess right now, I'd go with the coaches top 4:

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Georgia

Kickoff Weekend is going to be awesome:

9/1
12 PM - Ohio State vs Oregon State
3:30 PM - Washington vs Auburn (!!)
7:30 PM - Notre Dame vs Michigan
8:00 PM - Alabama vs Louisville
9/2
7:30 PM - Miami vs LSU
9/3
8:00 PM - Florida State vs Virginia Tech

I know what I'll be doing. I had no idea that Wash/Aub game was happening. That game is HUGE for Washington. If they win that, they are in really good shape for the playoff @Stark

hopefully the Buckeyes take TCU out of it relatively early.

A beatdown loss by us will hurt their chances. Any team in the Top-25 that gets destroyed, even by another Top-25 will hinder their chances of ever rising back up.

But if we barely beat them/within 10 points, they have a pretty nice schedule that they would make a run back at it (which would ALSO be nice for OUR schedule ranking in the end).

We want to beat TCU (of course...), but we also want them to win out after our loss. They still have on their schedule after us:

@Texas (21st)
Oklahoma (5th)
Kansas State (not ranked currently, but they are always in it)
@West Virginia (20th)
Oklahoma State (25th)

As long as all of those teams don't completely collapse throughout the season, none of those teams have any significant influence on our schedule. So them losing to us and then going on to beat all of them (especially OKLA) would only be a cherry on top.

Same ol' story though every year for tOSU: take care of business, and we are in.

As a completely neutral and unbiased party, this is far and away the worst thing to happen in the Big 10 in the past ten years by far.

If they lose players to any suspension time this season, it might allow Indiana to loosen UM's stranglehold on 4th place in the B10 east.

How about this Maryland scandal though? Yeesh

How about this Maryland scandal though? Yeesh

Awful. I feel horrible for that kid and his family and teammates.

Coach and everybody else involved needs canned and tried in court.

Joe Burrow already chasing away LSUs QBs :chuckle:

Good for him. hope he takes it to Miami and that stupid fucking turnover chain

MSU looks like shit on defense. I’m all for chaos, but not for a B10 power getting embarrassed by Utah State.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."