• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 Minor League Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
@AZ_ @BimboColesHair @Derek

Give us your top prospects list and guys that could be sleepers for 18! I don't exactly care if ya like me or not, every casual fan and others who read this page wanna hear about the minor league guys hence why we are here.

I'm not nearly as qualified as @AZ_ or @BimboColesHair to make a top prospects, but here are some guys I'm really looking forward to watching this year outside of the obvious McKenzie/Mejia/Valera:

Nolan Jones - I'm really excited to see how he develops. He made big improvements last year, and could be something special once he fills out, and turns some doubles into HRs.

Shane Bieber/Aaron Civale - What can I say? I have a soft spot for guys with ridiculous K:BB ratios.

Will Benson - Freak athlete, really hoping to see some major strides this year. Made a decent jump in the second half of his season last year. Despite how raw he is, still had an .823 OPS last year as a 19 year old at Mahoning Valley.

Conner Capel - 51 XBH in his age 20 season at A ball

Andrew Calica - Really good hitter, but not a lick of power right now. If he develops any, he could be a player.

Eli Morgan - A 2017 8th round draft pick out of Gonzaga had 58 K's in 35 innings at Mahoning Valley last year. He has a really good changeup, and is pretty small in stature, might end up being a reliever.

Last edited:
I can't fucking wait to see how George Valera does. 100% chance I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I don't care.

Control Artist Shane Bieber Strives For Consistency
Indians Organization Report

January 29, 2018 By Jim Ingraham

Shane Bieber is a control pitcher doesn't do justice to the drama of the numbers.

In 36 career starts covering four minor league levels in two seasons, the 22-year-old Bieber has averaged one walk every three starts.

Last year, Bieber climbed to Double-A Akron while leading all full-season minor leaguers with a walk rate of 0.5 per nine innings. That’s 10 free passes in 173.1 innings.

That Bieber is a strike-throwing machine was evident to the Indians immediately after they drafted him out of UC Santa Barbara in the fourth round in 2016.

“Shane, while young, is an experienced pitcher," director of player development James Harris said. Bieber has made a smooth transition to pro ball. Along the way, he has added more velocity to his fastball, which has climbed into the low to mid-90s.

His 2017 season seemed like a breakout, given that he flourished at three different levels while recording a 2.86 ERA and 8.4 strikeouts per nine innings.

“We wouldn't call last year a break out," Harris said. “Shane just worked to make himself more consistent."

Bieber's makeup has been as impressive to the Indians as has his command of the strike zone.

“We attribute his success to his strong work ethic and a demonstrated growth mindset, with the ability to receive feedback and use coaches as resources," Harris said.

Bieber's emergence as a prospect probably started in 2016, when, after being signed by the Indians, he reported to short-season Mahoning Valley. Coming off a long college season, Bieber was limited to 24 innings over nine appearances.

In those 24 innings, Bieber had a 0.38 ERA and held opponents to a .122 average with 21 strikeouts and two walks.

That Bieber continued to pound the strike zone again in 2017 did not come as a shock to the Indians.

“That didn't surprise us, because we see how he works and competes, day in and day out," Harris said. “His control is a combination of the work he puts in, his competitive nature and his stuff."

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/min...eber-strives-consistency/#VLY0uM6zbY15ZPE7.99

Control Artist Shane Bieber Strives For Consistency
Indians Organization Report

January 29, 2018 By Jim Ingraham

Shane Bieber is a control pitcher doesn't do justice to the drama of the numbers.

In 36 career starts covering four minor league levels in two seasons, the 22-year-old Bieber has averaged one walk every three starts.

Last year, Bieber climbed to Double-A Akron while leading all full-season minor leaguers with a walk rate of 0.5 per nine innings. That’s 10 free passes in 173.1 innings.

That Bieber is a strike-throwing machine was evident to the Indians immediately after they drafted him out of UC Santa Barbara in the fourth round in 2016.

“Shane, while young, is an experienced pitcher," director of player development James Harris said. Bieber has made a smooth transition to pro ball. Along the way, he has added more velocity to his fastball, which has climbed into the low to mid-90s.

His 2017 season seemed like a breakout, given that he flourished at three different levels while recording a 2.86 ERA and 8.4 strikeouts per nine innings.

“We wouldn't call last year a break out," Harris said. “Shane just worked to make himself more consistent."

Bieber's makeup has been as impressive to the Indians as has his command of the strike zone.

“We attribute his success to his strong work ethic and a demonstrated growth mindset, with the ability to receive feedback and use coaches as resources," Harris said.

Bieber's emergence as a prospect probably started in 2016, when, after being signed by the Indians, he reported to short-season Mahoning Valley. Coming off a long college season, Bieber was limited to 24 innings over nine appearances.

In those 24 innings, Bieber had a 0.38 ERA and held opponents to a .122 average with 21 strikeouts and two walks.

That Bieber continued to pound the strike zone again in 2017 did not come as a shock to the Indians.

“That didn't surprise us, because we see how he works and competes, day in and day out," Harris said. “His control is a combination of the work he puts in, his competitive nature and his stuff."

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/min...eber-strives-consistency/#VLY0uM6zbY15ZPE7.99

He is going to be difficult to keep off the roster in 19. Part of me wouldn't be surprised in 19 if he makes some appearances from the bullpen. I don't see him coming up in 18 barring injuries, but he could easily be on the roster in 19 out of the pen. Not sure if he will be an Ace of the staff, but for sure this kid will be a solid major league guy.

McKenzie and Bradley should have big years.

I truly think McKenzie will carve up Double-A, his stuff is so good.

Another off-season of training and bulk added could only help, will be curious how he looks in the spring.

I truly think McKenzie will carve up Double-A, his stuff is so good.

Another off-season of training and bulk added could only help, will be curious how he looks in the spring.

I'm a big believer in McKenzie as well. He might be considered the best pitching prospect in baseball by year's end.

I just don't want to hear moans and groans if he scuffles a bit initially. A+ to AA is a big jump, and it would be completely normal for him to need a couple starts to adjust.

0 time to do a descriptive top prospects list right now.

Sleepers, I'll go with:

Zach Plesac - gets a full healthy off season to train after TJ, should do well in the Carolina League after dominating short season A and being solid in Lake County after not pitching for over a year.

Jonas Wyatt - just coming off of TJ, same thing. Easy to forget he put up similar debut numbers to McKenzie in 2015. Wild coming off injury this past year, but I think he gets that right.

Entire projected Lake County starting rotation - Gregori Vasquez, Francisco Perez, Felix Tati, Sam Hentges.

Mitch Longo - very similar to Andrew Calica. Hits, gets on base, steals bases, limited power. Will be curious to see where he starts next season.

Gavin Collins - if what he did last year was real, and he replicates it at 22 in AA, he will begin to matter a bit more. Very similar to Eric Haase as a hitter, who has become a prospect that matters himself.

Ka'ai Tom - AZ Fall League success sometimes predicts a breakout coming. Guy just needs to stay healthy for a full year and he'll put up numbers. 24 making his debut in AA next year. He has to put up numbers.

Also, keep an eye on everyone coming stateside from the Dominican to play in either the AZL or short season A. Lot of teens coming over who are very intriguing.

Has the best FB in our system. Struggled in Columbus last year, hopefully he figures it out.

Part of me says he may be destined for the pen on this roster.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."