• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 MLB Draft

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Haven't had our thread yet and been seeing mocks this week so might as well.

Indians have picks 29 and 35 as far as high picks go

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...-right-hander-projected-to-go-no-1-to-tigers/

https://www.mlb.com/news/high-school-pitchers-rise-in-mlb-mock-draft/c-277173920

So Boobie any Benson, Holmes level athletes in this class?

I'll be honest, I've pretty well checked out of the amateur game beyond the top targets and some other guys I've come across.

In terms of big time athletes who may be available in that mold, Jordyn Adams is the guy who fits.

Two-sport star who has D1 football offers.

Rumor is the Indians are on prep bats, but they've got 29-35-41 so it will be a fun opening night.

Holy shit: Nick Madrigal, former Tribe draft pick, slated to go top 5. Looks like he made the right decision.

Mock Draft on FanGraphs highlighted a few guys the Indians have been in on:

29. Cleveland Indians – Greyson Jenista, RF, Wichita State

The Indians have multiple picks and some pool money to play with here. Two main targets, Walker and Thomas, have gone right ahead of them in the mock. Torres, Hankins, Texas prep righty Adam Kloffenstein, Hankins and Hoglund are all options for their first-day picks along with Arizona prep shortstop Jonathan Ornelas and California prep center fielder Osiris Johnson. We think a college bat fits in somewhere, and that demographic’s scarcity means they pounce on one here and let good high schoolers fall.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-3-0/

Alek Thomas: Video and Scouting Report

Thomas’s father Allen is the White Sox director of conditioning and Alek has had outstanding feel for the game for years at high-profile events. He fits in center field with plus speed and a line-drive approach with gap power.

Steele Walker: Video and Scouting Report

Walker is a bit of a tweener who fits in right field defensively with solid-average raw power, but he’s been hitting enough to get to that power in games.

Lenny Torres: Video and Scouting Report

Torres is one of the younger high-school prospects in the draft and also has one of the quickest arms, as he’s been up to 98 with a plus, late-breaking slider, though there is some relief risk.

Ethan Hankins: Video and Scouting Report

Hankins was 93-96 mph with plus life and a newly developed plus slider late in the summer, propelling him to a top-five overall pick projection. This spring has been rocky, though: he’s missed weeks with a sore shoulder, ditched his slider for a fringey curveball, and endured a velo dip into the mid-80s just weeks ago. That said, he hit 96 mph in front of lots of heat on Monday.

Adam Kloffenstein: Video

Kloffenstein is very young for the class and scouting-wise is a prototypical Texas prep arm, standing at 6-foot-5, 220 pounds. He runs his heater up to 96 mph and also has an above-average breaker, solid athleticism, and feel to start. He will be a tough sign as well

Gunner Hoglund: Video

Hoglund was mostly 88-91 mph with a soft curveball last summer, but he’s grown into his frame and is working 90-94, hitting 96 mph, this spring with a breaking ball that flashes 55 along with starter traits. He’s looking for seven figures and may well get it.

Jonathan Ornelas: Video

Ornelas doesn’t wield any elite physical tools but has a well-rounded skillset that includes viable defense at shortstop and chance to hit for some pull power. He’s also young for the class.

Osiris Johnson: Video

Mock Draft round up:

https://www.letsgotribe.com/2018/6/4/17424084/2018-mlb-mock-draft-round-up-cleveland-indians

Xavier Edwards: Video and Scouting Report

He doesn’t have Madrigal’s bat control, but Edwards is another undersized infielder with great feel for the game, true 80 speed, and the ability to play the middle infield. He also has sneaky power for his size and enough natural loft to get to it from both sides of the plate.

Connor Scott: Scouting Report and Video

Scott has been dogged by a couple minor injuries this spring, but his upside is arguably the highest amongst prep bats. He’s 6-foot-4, 170 pounds, with 70 speed and projects for above-average raw power and an above-average hit tool.

What about that OSU pitcher who was charged with child molestation? I remember reading some SI article about him a few weeks ago in regards to how talented he was, but no one was going to touch him. Is there any chance that dude gets drafted? I know he claims he didn't do it, but I don't know how you sell that to your fan base.

What about that OSU pitcher who was charged with child molestation? I remember reading some SI article about him a few weeks ago in regards to how talented he was, but no one was going to touch him. Is there any chance that dude gets drafted? I know he claims he didn't do it, but I don't know how you sell that to your fan base.

I don't THINK he gets drafted.

Certainly not tonight.

I don't THINK he gets drafted.

Certainly not tonight.

If he didn't have this hanging over him, where does he likely go? The article I read made it seem like he's one of the top pitchers in the nation.

If he didn't have this hanging over him, where does he likely go? The article I read made it seem like he's one of the top pitchers in the nation.

I'd imagine he would be a Top 200 guy for sure.

Per Baseball America:

“On talent, he’d fit in the 30-50 range in the draft,” executive editor J.J. Cooper said via text message, “but many [although not all] teams have removed him from their draft list because of his guilty plea.”

On the other hand, here is another two takes from the ever popular "anonymous scout."

Two talent evaluators said Heimlich projected as a major league pitcher, but not as a front-line starter.

Said one: “He’s not good enough for them to take the heat.”

Said the other: “I’m not afraid he’s going to turn into Cliff Lee.”

I imagine the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Tbh, based on my readings involving this story, I'm not at all comfortable taking him anywhere.

The two HS guys I like in our range of picks:

Parker Meadows and Triston Casas.

Just looking for projectable power in those slots.

Ball just sounds and looks different coming off their bats.

Casas is potentially a low average hitter at the next level but I like his frame and swing. Although I now see there has been a lot of buzz with him recently going much higher than projected.

Meadows has a really nice bloodline and I always bet on younger brother syndrome with pro athletes. Meadows may be tougher to sign though but we'll see.

Alek Thomas is an interesting guy boobie mentioned too. His athletic profile is intriguing but I have no idea how receptive he is to jumping to baseball. I do love how compact and quick his swing is. For a HS kid, he generates really easy line drive power. Got to think as he matures, he could show +pop for a middle OF.

Friend of mine named Adam Wolf went to high school at Edison in Milan near Sandusky. Golfed against him a few times (he was very good) and he's been pitching at Louisville and is pretty damn good.

Anybody know anything about him maybe getting drafted?

Haven't really followed the lead-up to the draft but my favorites from those connected to the Tribe are probably:

Ethan Hankins RHP GA HS-- Top 5 pick if his shoulder didn't flair up. Medicals are important.

Noah Naylor C/3B CAN HS-- Won't stick at C but has a pretty advanced feel to hit and has power.

Connor Scott CF FL HS-- Looks like Kyle Tucker 2.0 to me.... went to the same HS.

Anthony Seigler C GA HS-- Makeup off the charts. Similar to the 2017 version of Austin Barnes.

I'd imagine he would be a Top 200 guy for sure.

Per Baseball America:

On the other hand, here is another two takes from the ever popular "anonymous scout."

I imagine the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Tbh, based on my readings involving this story, I'm not at all comfortable taking him anywhere.
Afraid of turning into Cliff Lee? How the hell would a 30-50 pick section turning into Cliff fucking Lee be a bad thing? Classic anonymous scout back to his old tricks

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."