• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2018 Trade Deadline

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Here are the players who can be free agents following this season and, therefore, are the likeliest to be moved. I removed players free teams who who definitely contend (Ex: Bryce Harper/Nationals) and only included positions I could see the Indians adding a player at.

Second Basemen/Shortstop

Asdrubal Cabrera
Brian Dozier
Josh Harrison
Jed Lowrie

Third Basemen

Adrian Beltre
Josh Donaldson
Chase Headley
Mike Moustakas

Outfielders

Carlos Gonzalez
Cameron Maybin
Carlos Gomez
Adam Jones
Andrew McCutchen

Starting Pitchers

Madison Bumgarner (29) — $12MM club option
Cole Hamels (35) — $20MM club/vesting option with a $6MM buyout
J.A. Happ (36)
Jeremy Hellickson (32)
Francisco Liriano (35)
Brandon McCarthy (35)
Garrett Richards (31)
Chris Tillman (31)

Right-Handed Relievers

Brad Brach (33)
Carter Capps (27)
Randall Delgado (29)
Jeurys Familia (29)
Kelvin Herrera (29)
Daniel Hudson (32)
Jim Johnson (36)
Nate Jones (33) — $555K club option
Shawn Kelley (35)
Tim Lincecum (35)
Mark Melancon (34) — can opt out of remaining two years and $28MM
Peter Moylan (40)
Bud Norris (34)
Seung Hwan Oh (36) — $2.5MM club/vesting option with a $250K buyout
Adam Ottavino (33)
David Phelps (32)
A.J. Ramos (32)
Joakim Soria (35) — $10MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Junichi Tazawa (33)
Shawn Tolleson (31)
Adam Warren (31)
Blake Wood (33)
Brad Ziegler (39)

Left-Handed Relievers

Jerry Blevins (35)
Zach Britton (31)
Jake Diekman (32)
J.P. Howell (35)
Boone Logan (34) — $4.125MM club option with a $625K buyout
Robbie Ross (30)
Marc Rzepczynski (33)

Last edited:
lf

Machado literally, just today, let his O's get shut out at home

What kind of leader allows this?

No thanks. Easy pass.

Machado is already bored being with the Orioles. He is just going through the motions until early May when he is traded to the Tribe for a ptbnl

Which Indians are potential FAs who could be dealt at the deadline?

Only way the Indians would be sellers at the deadline is if they suffer some catastrophic injuries and are way out of the playoff race. In the unlikely event this occurs, I'm sure every team in the playoff race would be calling for Miller and Allen, likely McAllister as well, to bolster their bullpens.

We have quite a few guys who are on their last year of a contract with us. Miller and Brantley being a couple huge players for us. Let’s hope we become buyers towards the end of the deadline. This “could” be our last shot for awhile. Yes we have a good core, but after this season, this team will look different regardless.

Michael Brantley, Lonnie Chisenhall, Josh Tomlin, Cody Allen, Andrew Miller, and Zach McAllister will be unrestricted free agents.

Brandon Guyer has a $3 M club option and Carlos Carrasco has a $9 M club option.

We have quite a few guys who are on their last year of a contract with us. Miller and Brantley being a couple huge players for us. Let’s hope we become buyers towards the end of the deadline. This “could” be our last shot for awhile. Yes we have a good core, but after this season, this team will look different regardless.

This has been brought up a few times, so let's look piece by piece at who is locked in for 2019:

C-Gomes/Perez
1B-Alonso
2B-Kipnis
SS-Lindor
3B-Ramirez
LF-
CF-Zimmer
RF-
DH-Encarnacion

It's possible the move on from one of Gomes or Perez and hands the starting backstop duties to Francisco Mejia. He could also become a corner OF option, should they go that route. Unless he's traded, he'll be a starter somewhere in 2019. Yandy Diaz will be an option as well, either at 3B with Kipnis being moved or at corner outfield. Greg Allen may be ready for a starting role in 2019, possibly taking over CF and shifting Bradley Zimmer to RF. Tyler Naquin is an option to pair with Guyer, although that's not my preference. Bobby Bradley could be an option at 1B or DH should the Tribe move on from EE or Yonder. The most likely scenario IMO is signing a veteran OF to pair with Zimmer and Allen and making Mejia the starting catcher with Perez getting some time as well.

SP-Kluber
SP-Carrasco
SP-Bauer
SP-Clevinger
SP-Salazar

The rotation remains elite, especially if Salazar can ever stay healthy. Even if he can't or they decide to move him to the bullpen full time, they'd easily be able to add a 5th starter either internally or via free agency. Tomlin could even return.

CL-
RP-Goody
RP-Otero
RP-Olson
RP-
RP-
RP-

Here's the toughest job this coming offseason. As mentioned before, Salazar could be moved here. Cody Anderson and Julian Merryweather could be internal options. It would certainly go a long way if they could re-sign at least one of Miller or Allen to anchor the bullpen. There are also plenty of free agents that could fill important roles.

Will the 2019 look different? Absolutely, especially the bullpen. But the notion that this is their last chance or that the window is closing fast seems misguided to me. I think they're set up to be a World Series contender for another 2-3 years.

This has been brought up a few times, so let's look piece by piece at who is locked in for 2019:

C-Gomes/Perez
1B-Alonso
2B-Kipnis
SS-Lindor
3B-Ramirez
LF-
CF-Zimmer
RF-
DH-Encarnacion

It's possible the move on from one of Gomes or Perez and hands the starting backstop duties to Francisco Mejia. He could also become a corner OF option, should they go that route. Unless he's traded, he'll be a starter somewhere in 2019. Yandy Diaz will be an option as well, either at 3B with Kipnis being moved or at corner outfield. Greg Allen may be ready for a starting role in 2019, possibly taking over CF and shifting Bradley Zimmer to RF. Tyler Naquin is an option to pair with Guyer, although that's not my preference. Bobby Bradley could be an option at 1B or DH should the Tribe move on from EE or Yonder. The most likely scenario IMO is signing a veteran OF to pair with Zimmer and Allen and making Mejia the starting catcher with Perez getting some time as well.

SP-Kluber
SP-Carrasco
SP-Bauer
SP-Clevinger
SP-Salazar

The rotation remains elite, especially if Salazar can ever stay healthy. Even if he can't or they decide to move him to the bullpen full time, they'd easily be able to add a 5th starter either internally or via free agency. Tomlin could even return.

CL-
RP-Goody
RP-Otero
RP-Olson
RP-
RP-
RP-

Here's the toughest job this coming offseason. As mentioned before, Salazar could be moved here. Cody Anderson and Julian Merryweather could be internal options. It would certainly go a long way if they could re-sign at least one of Miller or Allen to anchor the bullpen. There are also plenty of free agents that could fill important roles.

Will the 2019 look different? Absolutely, especially the bullpen. But the notion that this is their last chance or that the window is closing fast seems misguided to me. I think they're set up to be a World Series contender for another 2-3 years.

Good stuff, and I agree with your window, especially in this division. I feel like the OF will sort itself out naturally, and if needed they always seem to find a vet who fits in perfectly. I think I'm done counting on Salazar so finding a starter is a priority in my mind.

The biggest question is closer, and whether we can keep one of the back end "aces". Allen is 3 years younger and at 29, in his prime, but for some reason I feel like Miller is going to cost a little more. Is that crazy?

Saying this is our last year of contention when our top 4 starters are locked in and very good seems like an exaggeration, barring terrible injury luck.

With McKenzie, Bieber, and Civale all in AA to start this year, I expect we'll see at least one of them making quite a few starts for the big league club in 2019

Allen is 3 years younger and at 29, in his prime, but for some reason I feel like Miller is going to cost a little more. Is that crazy?

If I had to guess right now, I think Allen gets ~ $36-42m over 3 years.

If Miller repeats what he's done the last 2 years, I honestly think he'll be in line for something better than Wade Davis's record breaking deal which was $52m over 3.

If I had to guess right now, I think Allen gets ~ $36-42m over 3 years.

If Miller repeats what he's done the last 2 years, I honestly think he'll be in line for something better than Wade Davis's record breaking deal which was $52m over 3.

This makes perfect sense, so do we pay Allen? I think they almost have to if the plan is to contend. The prospect of having to replace both guys is pretty scary...

I'd rather pay the younger guy less money over more years. I think this is the last year we have Andrew Miller unless he takes a helluva discount to stay here for some reason.

Would love to find a way to keep Allen.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."