• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

#52 DeShone Kizer

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Douglar

Intentionally Grounded
Staff member
Reaction score
The Browns have drafted the "anti-Kessler"

"This was not a force," Brown said after the Kizer selection, per the Canton Repository's Steven Doerschuk. "The pick came to us."​

Well-run organizations either allow the draft to come to them or manipulate the event to their liking. The Browns have done both through the first two days.​

Kizer is another outstanding athlete added to a trio of first-round picks that includes defensive end Myles Garrett, safety Jabrill Peppers and tight end David Njoku. A theme developed during all of these selections. The Browns are banking on top athletes with plenty of growth potential. All four have yet to turn 22 years old. No one has seen the best of what they have to offer, and each presents tremendous upside.​

Last edited:
If the options were Trubisky at 1, Mahomes/Watson at 12, or Kizer at 52...

I think Kizer would have been my choice there. I was pretty intrigued with Mahomes but Kizer at 52 is solid value.

But to be blunt, Hue has a lot of work to do with Kizer.

Thing to keep in mind: 2015 DeShone Kizer is top-10 pick, 2016 DeShone Kizer is Day 2 pick..

Some things from the guys I respect most...

Greg Cosell: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/greg-...l-tools-that-will-excite-teams-180233465.html

Matt Waldman: https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/?s=deshone+kizer&x=0&y=0

Cian Fahey: http://presnapreads.com/2017/04/05/deshone-kizer-and-diverging-traits/

Josh Norris: https://t.co/F7yl2Km5nS

And something interesting to note, from article during pre-draft circuit from Andy Benoit:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/12/2017-draft-quarterback-class-best-nfl-teams

Deshone Kizer, Notre Dame
Unlike most of this draft’s QBs, Kizer gained experience with pro-style passing concepts in college. Notre Dame’s system often had receivers’ routes intersect and correlate. One concern, though, is that Kizer was a beat late on many of his reads. He didn’t always appear to see and anticipate things clearly. You can get away with this in college, where the field is more spaced out and the defenders are a tad slower. But in the NFL, slow vision lowers your ceiling.

2017-draft-qbs-deshone-kizer-action.jpg

Photo: Stacy Revere/Getty Images
As a thrower, no QB in this class looks the part more than Kizer.
Inevitably, a few coaches will believe that they can teach Kizer to read the field more promptly. Those coaches will be titillated by the 21-year-old’s raw arm. As a thrower, no QB in this draft looks the part more than Kizer. He throws with arm speed and conciseness, which translates to velocity. Physically, he can challenge defenses at the intermediate levels. The burning question is whether Kizer can be more consistent. His accuracy vacillates too much for a player with his talent. In the pocket, he’s tough but has an occasional tendency to drift around lazily, which leads to mental and mechanical breakdowns.

Kizer would fit best in a system where complex route combinations help define the quarterback’s reads based off the coverage. No team is better at this than Washington. Would Washington consider drafting Kizer as a replacement for the soon-to-be very expensive Kirk Cousins in 2018? Another team that creates defined reads from intricate route combinations is Cleveland under Hue Jackson. Kizer may not be the safest QB in this draft, but given his experience at Notre Dame, he’s the one most ready to play right away. The Browns wouldn’t take him at No. 1 and probably not at No. 12. But what if they traded back from 12 to get him later in the first round? Or what if he’s still on the board when they open the second round with the 33rd overall pick? This would be a nice fit, especially when you consider that Kizer also has enough mobility to provide an occasional zone-read dimension to the rushing attack, which Jackson would capitalize on.

The biggest mistake we could've made was to panic as the QBs went and force a limited guy like Watson at 12 where we would've been committed. I've been supremely impressed with the patience this regime has shown.

I'm not really a Kizer fan but taking a high upside guy with a late 2nd round pick is fine. If Hue is able to get him fixed, he'll be a star. Even if not, we're not locked in at that price and try again in 2018.

Based on how our FO has described their approach, they want to accumulate picks and take upside shots so that they have a better chance to hit through volume.

Even if Kizer is a miss, he's worth the gamble.

Kizer isn't though a guy who will be ready to play at all in season 1, so barring injuries this kid isn't going to play no matter how good it bad we are doing. He came out as probably the least NFL ready of all the QBs in this draft, but like Mahomes has a very high ceiling, just needs to sit and learn for a year or so hence why he is a developmental QB. I say least ready not because of the physical tools, but the mental tools aren't there just yet. If we allow him to sit and learn and maybe play some garbage time, he could possibly be a very good NFL QB, I just hope the media, fans and Haslem understand this guy needs to sit. Sitting isn't always a bad thing, Palmer sat a season, Rodgers sat, Brady would have sat if not for injuries. Now they did sit behind good Pro QBs, but I think with Jackson at the helm we should be fine with his development as long as we allow him to develop.

I'm enjoying the thought of using this guy in the run game. He's a HUGE body in a Cam Newton type build so he can take the hits and a great athlete. Hue is going to have a lot of fun with that.

We all know he has an absolute cannon, but can you teach accuracy and decision making? We better hope so, I've seen him make some absolute gem throws but he has some severe lapses. You can't just go throwing picks in every game in a season, so that'll need cleaned up.

Kizer isn't though a guy who will be ready to play at all in season 1, so barring injuries this kid isn't going to play no matter how good it bad we are doing. He came out as probably the least NFL ready of all the QBs in this draft, but like Mahomes has a very high ceiling, just needs to sit and learn for a year or so hence why he is a developmental QB. If we allow him to sit and learn and maybe play some garbage time, he could possibly be a very good NFL QB, I just hope the media, fans and Haslem understand this guy needs to sit. Sitting isn't always a bad thing, Palmer sat a season, Rodgers sat, Brady would have sat if not for injuries. Now they did sit behind good Pro QBs, but I think with Jackson at the helm we should be fine with his development as long as we allow him to develop.

I see no reason why Kizer could not play from day one and this is for multiple reason:

1) I don't believe in sitting guys in the NFL. If the teams believes you to be a franchise guy, get him out there and let him play. Guys do not sit in the NFL anymore unless they have obvious, serious holes in their game. I don't think Kizer's problems are going to be fixed by sitting on the bench. His problem is consistency, and the only way to get consistency is to get him snaps and play him immediately.

2) There is no one else who warrants snaps over Kizer. There is no vet for him to sit and watch, there is not a guy with higher upside than him and there is, as described above, no holes that need fixed by him sitting. Kessler is a real solid NFL Spot Starter, but he's still young too. You would just be wasting time starting Kessler over Kizer.

3) Kizer is entering a very good spot right now, believe it or not. What is Cleveland's biggest hole offensively right now? Slot WR? RB? He has two solid WR'ers, he has a 1st round TE with a pretty decent 2nd TE, he has a good stable of running backs who showed production, and he has an elite offensive line that will not murder him. He's not going to get Tim Couch'd into the ground, he's not going to get blasted by a defense. I think Kizer's biggest flaw is that sometimes, when getting rushed, he loses his mechanics and that's where you get a ball skipped to a WR. I don't think he'll face that here, not at the outset.

Kizer is a lotto ticket, honestly. Arm talent wise, he and Mahomes were 1A/1B. He cannot throw it further than Mahomes and he doesn't have that elite natural accuracy at times, but Kizer does throw the ball extremely well. In 2015, he was shredding people with perfect drop passes into Will Fuller's bread basket, throwing incredibly touch passes to CJ Prosise, and getting great protection from Stanley on his left side. This year, he did not have that same luxury, while also having to deal with a HC that, for some reason, wanted a guy that clearly was not more talented than him to play. Zaier should have been stapled to the bench for Kizer, but Kelly is a moron.

The talent is all there. The guy is actually very aware in the pocket, sometimes overly aware in the pocket. He climbes the pocket with ease and can throw pinpoint passes literally anywhere on the field. There is not a throw that he cannot make, and has not made on tape. If he gains consistency, he will be an elite QB. Of recent QB's to come out, if Carson Wentz and Jameis Winston can play day one, I see no reason that Kizer should not play day one. I actually cannot believe that no one took this lotto ticket sooner, I thought for sure he would end up with Ariens in Arizona.

All this being said, there are some serious flaws to him as well, stuff that Jackson needs to coach him about. He does not have a super quick release. It's got a funky loop sometimes, which is not a game breaker but it is a concern. He does stare down target #1 for a long period of time. I don't think he's a bad kid, but it does sound like sometimes, he thinks his shit don't stink. Hue won't tolerate that for too long out his guys. I think he was handed some humility last year at ND, and I think with Hue being in his ear all offseason, maybe he trusts and respects Hue to let him in to be his mentor.

We'll see. If I'm the Browns, start him game #1 and let him go. If he flounders this year with no hope for the future, get Kessler in there and aim for 2018's QB. But right now, as we stand, Kizer needs to get on the field ASAP and play some games.

Nice write up, but the guy has a lot of fundamentals to work on. I don't think he deserves the starting QB spot until he shows that he's cleaned up his technique.. It's not fair to anyone to just drop him in the starting role right now if he hasn't earned it,. Not fair to the other QB's, not fair to the receivers, not fair to the team and not fair to DeShone to let him slide on his homework.

Now if he comes into camp with all of his rough spots cleaned up, then sure, let him get the starting job, but he's got to earn that spot or it sets a bad example for the entire team.

I see no reason why Kizer could not play from day one and this is for multiple reason:

1) I don't believe in sitting guys in the NFL. If the teams believes you to be a franchise guy, get him out there and let him play. Guys do not sit in the NFL anymore unless they have obvious, serious holes in their game. I don't think Kizer's problems are going to be fixed by sitting on the bench. His problem is consistency, and the only way to get consistency is to get him snaps and play him immediately.

2) There is no one else who warrants snaps over Kizer. There is no vet for him to sit and watch, there is not a guy with higher upside than him and there is, as described above, no holes that need fixed by him sitting. Kessler is a real solid NFL Spot Starter, but he's still young too. You would just be wasting time starting Kessler over Kizer.

3) Kizer is entering a very good spot right now, believe it or not. What is Cleveland's biggest hole offensively right now? Slot WR? RB? He has two solid WR'ers, he has a 1st round TE with a pretty decent 2nd TE, he has a good stable of running backs who showed production, and he has an elite offensive line that will not murder him. He's not going to get Tim Couch'd into the ground, he's not going to get blasted by a defense. I think Kizer's biggest flaw is that sometimes, when getting rushed, he loses his mechanics and that's where you get a ball skipped to a WR. I don't think he'll face that here, not at the outset.

Kizer is a lotto ticket, honestly. Arm talent wise, he and Mahomes were 1A/1B. He cannot throw it further than Mahomes and he doesn't have that elite natural accuracy at times, but Kizer does throw the ball extremely well. In 2015, he was shredding people with perfect drop passes into Will Fuller's bread basket, throwing incredibly touch passes to CJ Prosise, and getting great protection from Stanley on his left side. This year, he did not have that same luxury, while also having to deal with a HC that, for some reason, wanted a guy that clearly was not more talented than him to play. Zaier should have been stapled to the bench for Kizer, but Kelly is a moron.

The talent is all there. The guy is actually very aware in the pocket, sometimes overly aware in the pocket. He climbes the pocket with ease and can throw pinpoint passes literally anywhere on the field. There is not a throw that he cannot make, and has not made on tape. If he gains consistency, he will be an elite QB. Of recent QB's to come out, if Carson Wentz and Jameis Winston can play day one, I see no reason that Kizer should not play day one. I actually cannot believe that no one took this lotto ticket sooner, I thought for sure he would end up with Ariens in Arizona.

All this being said, there are some serious flaws to him as well, stuff that Jackson needs to coach him about. He does not have a super quick release. It's got a funky loop sometimes, which is not a game breaker but it is a concern. He does stare down target #1 for a long period of time. I don't think he's a bad kid, but it does sound like sometimes, he thinks his shit don't stink. Hue won't tolerate that for too long out his guys. I think he was handed some humility last year at ND, and I think with Hue being in his ear all offseason, maybe he trusts and respects Hue to let him in to be his mentor.

We'll see. If I'm the Browns, start him game #1 and let him go. If he flounders this year with no hope for the future, get Kessler in there and aim for 2018's QB. But right now, as we stand, Kizer needs to get on the field ASAP and play some games.
I think he will get a real opportunity to win this starting job in camp. If he doesn't beat out Kessler, I take that more as Kizer not being ready and Kessler working his ass off this offseason.

I know he has things to clean up, but I love the value at 52. I like him better than Watson straight-up who went at 12.

Side note, Bruce Arians had gone on record saying that he thinks only one QB in this class is ready to play Day 1. It has since been leaked by a number of people that the guy he was referring to was DeShone Kizer. People seem to be split on his readiness to recognize coverages and make adjustments.

We'll see, but I love the idea of Hue getting his hands on this block of clay. Top to bottom, he's as talented as they come. If he's able to learn quickly and Hue turns him into something, the talk of 2018 QB's could even be premature. There isn't anyone more "talented" than him in that draft.

Last edited:
Hue already said they will let him compete.

Very similar to Jameis Winston in the fact he had a great 1st year and then a letdown 2nd year.

Difference was that Florida State had far more talent than Notre Dame and Jameis was more advanced as a passer/leader.

High ceiling for Kizer. If he proves to be mentally tough he can be great.

Nice write up, but the guy has a lot of fundamentals to work on. I don't think he deserves the starting QB spot until he shows that he's cleaned up his technique.. It's not fair to anyone to just drop him in the starting role right now if he hasn't earned it,. Not fair to the other QB's, not fair to the receivers, not fair to the team and not fair to DeShone to let him slide on his homework.

Now if he comes into camp with all of his rough spots cleaned up, then sure, let him get the starting job, but he's got to earn that spot or it sets a bad example for the entire team.

He has clean technique at times. But he isnt consistent with it all the time. The only way to get him to be consistent is give him reps and snaps. Not sit on the bench and leave it up to him. At least this way, he gets eyes on him while he is working, and correction and motivation.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."