• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

A Closer Look at Jabari Parker

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
184990-0-600.jpg

Height: 6'8"
Weight: 241
Wingspan: 7'0"
Position: Forward
College: Duke

Scouting Report (via NBA Draft Express)

Parker stands out first and foremost thanks to his tremendous size. He measured 6-9, 222 pounds at the 2011 LeBron James Skills Academy, with a 6-11 wingspan, but plays almost exclusively on the wing.

Still only 16 years old, Parker is likely still far from reaching his full athletic potential. At this point, he appears to possess just average quickness and explosiveness, something that may become more pronounced in the future as the level of competition he faces stiffens.

Incredibly polished and mature, Parker has an outstanding skill-level for a player his age. His shooting mechanics are excellent, complete with terrific footwork and deep range. He can make shots with his feet set, but is also extremely dangerous pulling up off the dribble, being capable of getting clean looks off fairly easily thanks to his size, smarts, and ability to create separation smoothly from his defender.

More than just a shooter, Parker is also a capable passer who appears to enjoy getting teammates involved. He passes ahead in transition when the opportunity presents itself and plays the game at a very nice pace, keeping mistakes to a minimum and showing impressive basketball acumen considering his lack of experience. He finds plenty of ways to score around the rim at this level, whether he's seeking out a putback by crashing the offensive glass or being aggressive on a simple post-up play, Parker shows very nice instincts for picking up easy points.

Despite his tremendous size, Parker can also handle the ball in transition or take his man off the dribble in the half-court, even if he's not an exceptionally efficient shot-creator. His lack of explosiveness hampers him somewhat from getting all the way to the rim, as he still needs to improve his ball-handling skills, particularly with his left hand. If he's unable to simply bully his way to the rim using his superior strength, he's pretty content settling for pull-up jumpers fading away from his opponent, which he can often make with a hand in his face, albeit not a terribly high percentage.

Defensively, Parker shows clear-cut strengths and weaknesses at the moment, like virtually all players his age. On one hand, his size, length, smarts and competitiveness help out tremendously, as he's typically the biggest player on the floor at the high school level and sees most of his time at power forward or center. On the other hand, his underwhelming lateral quickness makes it difficult for him to stay in front of most wing players at the moment, and his intensity wavers, as he tends to get winded late in games due to his average conditioning level. To reach his full potential on this end of the floor, Parker will need to improve his technique, awareness and toughness—things that will likely come in time as he continues to mature.

Despite only being 16 years old, Parker has received as much national attention at this stage as any high school player we've seen since O.J. Mayo. The son of former NBA first round pick Sonny Parker, Jabari is often lauded for his outstanding intangibles. He's reportedly an outstanding student, an excellent teammate and extremely coachable, which will surely help in his long-term development. He's been described by many respected analysts as the best prospect in high school basketball, and was awarded the prestigious USA Basketball's Male Athlete of the Year honor, being the youngest recipient ever.

Parker will have to work extremely hard to live up to the incredible accolades he's received at such a young age. It will be interesting to see how he develops athletically over the next few years, as he does not appear to possess the type of quickness and explosiveness you typically find in a #1 overall recruit. With that said, his skill-level, maturity and basketball IQ are unheard of for a player his age. Just how high is Parker's ceiling as a long-term prospect? We'll have to continue to watch and evaluate.

Links

Another Parker Scouting Report

Video

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Rb-ghooJsBk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Rb-ghooJsBk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

If we get top 3...Parker is the one I hope we draft!

I take Parker 1 over even Embiid. I think we might be looking at a Jordan vs Hakeem type situation. Either one will be a future MVP and Hofer.

I take Parker 1 over even Embiid. I think we might be looking at a Jordan vs Hakeem type situation. Either one will be a future MVP and Hofer.
Parker is way more pre injury Grant Hill then Jordan. I know this will bring laughs, but Paul Pierce is not a bad comparison either.

Recently parker displayed some great athleticism that i was worried he didnt posses. He's not the greatest athlete but his size allows him to get shots anywhere on the floor. No matter where he gets drafted he is odds on rookie of the year. I would love the cavs to take him, but think grant would go embiid if they got no1 pick

Parker is way more pre injury Grant Hill then Jordan. I know this will bring laughs, but Paul Pierce is not a bad comparison either.

I was referring more to the draft in which Houston picked Hakeem over Jordan, ie I think taking Embiid would be the same. I dont think you will hear Houston complain though, as Hakeem has become a face for the city while most of Jordans time is done in Chi-town.

But, I think both might be the best prospects to come around since Durant and Oden. (although hindsight would have made that draft different)

I can't believe we've started this thread, but DAMN can that kid play basketball. Whew! they've said you can drop this kid in the league right now and he'd be instantly successful, his understanding of the game is that good.

From Chad's Chat Today:

John (Philadelphia)

What are GM's biggest concern about Jabari Parker?

Chad Ford (1:37 PM)

Defense. A good, but not elite athlete. But he's considered a very low risk player. Hard to see him failing in the NBA. Only question is really about how high his ceiling is.

Interesting how quickly Parker moved away from his Grant Hill trajectory and how exposed he was when his shot wasn't falling. I think Exum has moved ahead of Parker and Wiggins and Embiid's sitting on the bench has just widened the gap in the Embiid sweepstakes.

I think Parker is surprisingly athletic for a guy who has got a good amount of bulk and skill level. Can you imagine a lineup with Parker, Bennett, Dion, and Kyrie? Our defense likely will suck but we'd be putting up points like the prime Nash/Amare Suns.

Easily one of the worst defensive prospects I've seen in a long time.. Somebody with that size and wingspan shouldn't be that atrocious defensively.. But it goes beyond that-- he doesn't anticipate or understand anything defensively ...

Jabari and Kyrie defending on the same perimeter would be hilarious at best...

http://deanondraft.com/2014/04/11/jabari-parker-is-he-the-next-melo-fellow/

As a Duke alum, I watched nearly every Duke game this year and have a number of thoughts on Jabari Parker, yet have refrained from writing about him. This is largely because I see an interesting blend of positives and negative and had been reticent to commit to a strong opinion either way. Now that the season is over, I’d like to lay out some troubling trends I have noticed as well as why they may not be fatal flaws.

First I would like to initiate a narrative that has gone largely unnoticed this year: Jabari Parker was a straight up chucker as a freshman. It’s not that people failed to notice that he took a ton of shots; after all his most common comparison is Carmelo Anthony. The fact of the matter is that when you launch a high volume of shots with the efficiency of a player like Carmelo, people are not going to complain about your chucking ways. But I do believe that Jabari’s inefficiency flew a bit under the radar for a number of reasons. First, let’s see how his usage and efficiency stats compare to those of his teammates as per sports-reference.com.

This thread is for all discussion, links, videos, articles, etc., concerning Jabari Parker.

Per-game stats:

<PRE>
Season School Conf G MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2013-14 Duke ACC 35 30.7 6.7 14.3 .473 5.7 11.2 .504 1.1 3.0 .358 4.6 6.1 .748 8.7 1.2 1.1 1.2 2.3 2.4 19.1
Career Duke 35 30.7 6.7 14.3 .473 5.7 11.2 .504 1.1 3.0 .358 4.6 6.1 .748 8.7 1.2 1.1 1.2 2.3 2.4 19.1
</PRE>

Per-40 stats:

<PRE>
Season School Conf G MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2013-14 Duke ACC 35 1074 8.8 18.6 .473 7.4 14.6 .504 1.4 3.9 .358 6.0 8.0 .748 11.4 1.5 1.4 1.6 3.0 3.1 25.0
Career Duke 35 1074 8.8 18.6 .473 7.4 14.6 .504 1.4 3.9 .358 6.0 8.0 .748 11.4 1.5 1.4 1.6 3.0 3.1 25.0
</PRE>

Advanced Stats:

<PRE>
Season School Conf G MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% PProd ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/40
2013-14 Duke ACC 35 1074 28.4 .558 .511 11.4 23.1 17.1 8.6 2.1 4.0 11.9 32.7 623 115.0 99.3 3.6 1.9 5.5 .205
Career Duke 35 1074 28.4 .558 .511 11.4 23.1 17.1 8.6 2.1 4.0 11.9 32.7 623 115.0 99.3 3.6 1.9 5.5 .205
</PRE>

Scouting Report Video:

[video=youtube;jIDYdSW2wew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIDYdSW2wew[/video]

Highlight videos:

[video=youtube;YNy_JqveH50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNy_JqveH50[/video]

[video=youtube;fr5fU3gW9Tg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr5fU3gW9Tg[/video]

[video=youtube;kJVcpBMcvw8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJVcpBMcvw8[/video]

[video=youtube;1aCeBST0C18]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aCeBST0C18[/video]

[video=youtube;itfoped1ETk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itfoped1ETk[/video]

[video=youtube;Rb-ghooJsBk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-ghooJsBk[/video]
Props to the Lottery God for putting this together.

I can't stop thinking about a Kyrie/Dion/Parker trio. Who can stop that? Kyrie puts up 20+ per game, Dion can easily vault past 15+ per game, and Parker is poised to be a 16+ per game player. Getting over 50 points from 3 players is big-time.

If we want to win now, Parker is far and away the choice.

This is the best problem Cleveland has had in a very long time.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."