• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

A Closer Look at Joel Embiid's Injured Foot

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
wpid-joel-embiid-wants-to-be-like-hakeem-olajuwon.jpg

Height: 7'0"
Weight: 240
Wingspan: 7'5"
Position: Forward
College: Kansas

Scouting Report (via NBA Draft Express)

Standing out at first glance with his 240 pound frame and 7'5 wingspan, Embiid looks the part of a NBA center. Very new to the game of basketball, the Kansas commit has a limited feel for how to make his presence felt consistently, and doesn't always know his limitations, but flashed some intriguing tools on both ends of the floor, even though he wasn't at 100%. Knocking down a 20-foot jump shot, making a nifty move to score a left handed hook shot in the post, and putting in some impressive efforts on the offensive glass, Embiid has some unique skills for a player only beginning to pick up the nuances of the game.

On the defensive end, Embiid is a talented shot-blocker who has the tools to become an excellent defender on the ball and rotating over from the weak-side down the road. The Basketball Without Borders product is a bit foul prone and could stand to be more aggressive pursuing the ball off the rim, but his timing was impeccable at certain moments in practice.

Noted for developing big men, the Kansas staff landed an ideal long-term project in Embiid. If he can get stronger and continue developing as an interior scorer, rebounder, and defender, it would not be surprising to see Embiid emerge as an extremely interesting NBA prospect down the road and a valuable contributor for the Jayhawks as they look to replace Jeff Withey.

Links

Joel Embiid Is Andrew Wiggins' Biggest Challenger to be #1 Pick

Video

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/qBwSvIOOzMo?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/qBwSvIOOzMo?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Re: A Closer Look at Joel Embiid

Interesting to see how conservative that scouting report seems just 6months old. His learning curve has been so smooth he just seems a natural. The next Akeem feels right about now, but we'll see how he performs during march and in the combine (which i think he and wiggins will blow the doors off)

'Lose To Win'

Time to tank like we never tanked before.

I know I salivate every year, but I have full confidence that Embiid will be AS GOOD if not better than even Anthony Davis if he goes to the right situation and is developed properly within 3-4 years.

FULL CONFIDENCE

What would you have traded for Anthony Davis? Trade all of that or hit reset on the FO and get those lottery balls and then move whatever needs to be moved to get him on draft night.

And then lets worry about Kyrie and him having the right pieces around them after that.

Kyrie and Joel Embiid, EASILY best duo moving forward to build with.

I know I salivate every year, but I have full confidence that Embiid will be AS GOOD if not better than even Anthony Davis if he goes to the right situation and is developed properly within 3-4 years.

FULL CONFIDENCE

What would you have traded for Anthony Davis? Trade all of that or hit reset on the FO and get those lottery balls and then move whatever needs to be moved to get him on draft night.

And then lets worry about Kyrie and him having the right pieces around them after that.

This dude is a monster.

And with a draft like this, with other major players floating around, will be interesting to see where he falls.

If the Cavs can't do anything with their trade assets this year, it would be interesting if a team with a long term center is in the spot where he should go, like say, Sacramento. Wonder if a team like that would move the #2 or #3 pick for everything we've got plus our 2014 selection, the Memphis pick, Sac's pick back to them, etc

Also, you gotta think Grant is salivating at the idea of this guy. After missing on the first two centers to come through the draft and Bynum the dud, here's a guy who passes the eye test AND has the crazy advanced stats to support that eye test.

This dude is a monster.

And with a draft like this, with other major players floating around, will be interesting to see where he falls.

If the Cavs can't do anything with their trade assets this year, it would be interesting if a team with a long term center is in the spot where he should go, like say, Sacramento. Wonder if a team like that would move the #2 or #3 pick for everything we've got plus our 2014 selection, the Memphis pick, Sac's pick back to them, etc

Also, you gotta think Grant is salivating at the idea of this guy. After missing on the first two centers to come through the draft and Bynum the dud, here's a guy who passes the eye test AND has the crazy advanced stats to support that eye test.

No one is trading any of the top 3 picks for future draft picks, period end of discussion. Only way we get him is if we have the 1st or second pick.

Anyone else catch that Dream Shake?

My god...

How fun would it be if the NBA could be a Center's league again?

Last edited:

I think he goes #1. I agree with AJZ, there will no chance of trading for any of the top picks in this draft. We'd have to hit the lottery...again.

I think he goes #1.

Was talking to Young earlier and he is still thinking Wiggins should/would go #1, at this point in time, I think Embiid has already passed Wiggins and Parker too on about 26 or so teams boards.

I think the only way he is NOT #1, is if Toronto, Houston, Indiana or Detroit gets #1. Every other team would HAVE to see his game changing potential and take him first overall.

FULL CONFIDENCE

no way dude. this is the best draft since the rebuild started but we don't need a high pick again, we are going for the playoffs baby! .500 and an inevitable raping by miami/indiana woohoo!

but on a serious note, threads like this are kind of depressing.....seeing a guy who can be so good, yet is virtually guaranteed to be out of the cavs reach. congrats to the bucks/76ers/nuggets/celtics for being right in the hunt!

no way dude. this is the best draft since the rebuild started but we don't need a high pick again, we are going for the playoffs baby! .500 and an inevitable raping by miami/indiana woohoo!

but on a serious note, threads like this are kind of depressing.....seeing a guy who can be so good, yet is virtually guaranteed to be out of the cavs reach. congrats to the bucks/76ers/nuggets/celtics for being right in the hunt!

Honestly... we are STILL right there with them man.

I'm not adverse to committing to these young kids and letting them learn on the job like they have the last few nights. (save for Bennett not getting more time last night)

I would move Jack for whatever we could get, commit to Bennett starting next to Andy and TT playing next to Tyler as reserves, where TT would come in as first big off bench when Bennett has foul trouble or Andy needs break (yes, you could play TT at smallball 5 for limited minutes)

Play Karasev the minutes you are committing to Miles.

I love Delladova. Love him. But Karasev should see the floor even before he does. Commit to Bennett, Karasev, Dion the same way you have committed to Kyrie and Tristan already and lets see what these young guys can show you flashes of.

While they are doing that, we remain in the hunt for a top pick (shrug)

Honestly... we are STILL right there with them man.

I'm not adverse to committing to these young kids and letting them learn on the job like they have the last few nights. (save for Bennett not getting more time last night)

I would move Jack for whatever we could get, commit to Bennett starting next to Andy and TT playing next to Tyler as reserves, where TT would come in as first big off bench when Bennett has foul trouble or Andy needs break (yes, you could play TT at smallball 5 for limited minutes)

Play Karasev the minutes you are committing to Miles.

I love Delladova. Love him. But Karasev should see the floor even before he does. Commit to Bennett, Karasev, Dion the same way you have committed to Kyrie and Tristan already and lets see what these young guys can show you flashes of.

While they are doing that, we remain in the hunt for a top pick (shrug)
well technically you're right in that the ship has yet to (officially) sail, but i'm still not sold on them coming back to reality re: the quality of this team - both now and going forward - and doing what is best for the players who actually have a future in cleveland.

for them to have *any* chance at this kid, or even #2 or #3 overall, they are really gonna need to swallow their pride and embrace the youth movement. it is still salvageable at this point, but the clock is ticking....lots of really bad teams out there who realize the true quality of this upcoming draft.

Didn't start watching college basketball until the last week. So now I've watched Embiid, Parker, Wiggins and Randle (and thus Young as well).

And after doing so...I want the Cavs to keep doing exactly what they're doing.

YuenglingGator, we havent interacted much on these here boards but let me tell you what... you keep pumping my head with tales of my scouting greatness and we are going to get along just fine good sir. Just fine.

Let me return the favor: Great use of elipses there in your post. You used those like a man who has pretty good control of the fundamentals required to be a all-star on realcavsfans. You stick to those punctuation fundamentals man, and you'll have a gold name in no time. I'm going to keep my eye out for your posts.

With Embiid, I havent seen this type of raw talent and natural instinct in a teenager with his size and athleticism since I've been old enough to know what I was looking at. Seriously, that is not overhyping him. Hibbert never showed an ounce of what Embiid has already showed while he was at Georgetown all 4 years. Oden showed it on defense with instinct but expectations were lowered for him when the season started and he already had a broken wrist, which restricted him offensively. Oden didnt show half as much potential on offense that Embiid has already shown, and Oden was just getting on the court by now his freshman season. Hibbert at this age couldnt tie his shoe, and Brook Lopez was Stephen Adams with just a tad more offense his freshman year. If Embiid were on a team where he'd be featured on offense, like Jabari is at Duke or Randle is at UK, there would be no discussion who the #1 is.

In regard to other #1's, I take him over every one of them recently except maybe Anthony Davis. Davis was a PG getting ready to battle Trey Harmon for minutes at Cleveland State until he shot up from 6'2 before his senior season. I truly dont know how that happened and I think New Orleans still hasnt even scratched the surface of what all he is capable of. My Dentist friend from my basketball league here who has season tickets and drives up to Rupp for every home game, said Anthony Davis was the best 3pt shooter on that championship team and would kick Teague and Lambs ass pretty regularly in drills according to everyone he hung with up there. Not saying he should do that at this level, but I think he's going to be scarier in year 3 & 4 than almost anybody if he stays healthy. When Garnett reached his prime, there was still handchecking and physicality was welcomed in the league. By the time Davis reaches his prime, he will do what he wants.

But other than Davis, Embiid is just natural. Watching him is like watching LeBron his rookie year up here, where you kept saying that a kid shouldnt be able to do that at this level yet.

His dad looks pretty old over on the sidelines. Im waiting for a report to show up saying Embiid is the same age as Hasheem Thabeet. Until then, Im sticking with him 1st overall. Wiggins nor Parker can change a game on both ends the way he can.

Hey Rchfield, I've been out of the loop with the holidays and all, so I am just seeing your response to my question in the 2014 Draft thread. I think you made a lot of good points and the post bears repeat here in the Embiid thread.

Sidenote: I think just as much as your post shows how special Embiid could be - it also shows just how special Anthony Davis already is. Having a center with potential of Embiid, knowing you would take him over just about any of the decades last prospects... except maybe Davis. High praise for both guys, and definitely deserved by Davis from what we've seen thus far.

Now, back to Embiid. As its been mentioned in here many times, can't say enough about his previous athletic ventures and what they are doing for his development in basketball. The footwork he already has can easily be attributed to soccer, you can see it twice in the dream shake highlight. First, the balance on the catch, and of course the dance moves you see on the shake. It's like if a 7 footer existed, who could wear size 8 shoes and be perfectly balanced, Embiid would be the closest thing to him.

[video=youtube_share;5Irvvb7Y4-w]http://youtu.be/5Irvvb7Y4-w[/video]

Then of course, volleyball. The timing he learned that can carry over to shot blocking and grabbing boards is valuable.

[video=youtube_share;rJRWt2zTlSc]http://youtu.be/rJRWt2zTlSc[/video]

I mean, in summary with him, it isn't just the physical tools you see in guys each year. Some pan out, some don't. Usually those who don't are the ones with the physical gifts who can't add the talent or "skills" to go with it. They are the very "raw" guys. But when you see someone like Embiid, how far he's come in such a small span, and the skills that are already developing just as rapidly because of his exposure in other sports, it screams STAR. If we saw Drummond pulling off Dream Shakes in college, he doesn't fall to Detroit. Seven footers with this amount of coordination and signs of not just physical flashes, but learned techniques just do not come around often.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."