• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

A Closer Look at RJ Hunter

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Douglar

Intentionally Grounded
Staff member
Reaction score
He's currently on the draftexpress and NBADraft.net boards at #24

http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3adkrsh9Q

Hunter has good size and length for a NBA shooting guard prospect, standing 6-5 in shoes with a very long 6-9 ½ wingspan. He has a lanky frame that should continue to fill out in time, but is still very underdeveloped, tipping the scales at just 180 pounds in the summer of 2014. Athletically, he is very smooth and fluid, but doesn't stand out with extraordinary speed or explosiveness.

Hunter's biggest appeal as a NBA prospect revolves around his outside shot, even if that's far from his only strength at the moment. He has deep range extending well beyond the 3-point line, and can make shots in a variety of ways, be it off spot-ups, coming off screens, or pulling up off the dribble. Hunter's release point is somewhat low, which would be more of an issue if he didn't get his shot off as quickly as he did. His mechanics are smooth and compact, complete with terrific footwork and a pretty follow-through, and he sets his feet and shoots it all in one quick, effortless and aesthetically pleasing motion.

[parsehtml]<script height="463px" width="823px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=JkeXl2dDqNDUEMu2PkbEtMRfldjR5e8q&pbid=23b69841d9454479a6f4fcf4a8514588"></script>[/parsehtml]

So this guy grew up watching Steph Curry right? the super quick low release jumper, and slight frame.

Baby faced assassin.

Personally i would worry about the skill overlap with Joe Harris, although if we drafted him if would be a sign that either Joe has no NBA future or RJ is a talent Griffin thinks will excel at the next level

His college game reminds me of Steph Curry's. Taking stupidly long 3s and nailing them. His release reminds me of Steph's, as well, not as early in the jump, but still on the way up.

Obviously not saying he's the next Curry, he's no PG, and Curry is one of the best shooters in the history of the game. But I think he will be one of those guys that everyone asks how he got drafted so late.

Pro basketball talk has us taking him, sign me up, his release is pure, especially off the dribble after just a few minor moves. I could definitely see him being a Korver type running the wings with Bron and Ky. He resembles a little of Kevin Martin, even if he is a little worse its still a good pick. Cannot go wrong taking a pure shooter.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....t-interesting-starting-with-new-york-at-four/

Last edited:
Reminds me of a poor mans young Paul pierce mixed with Steph currys form on his jumper, could be a very solid pick for us

I was thinking he might be a jimmer at the next level though. I mean he can make long jumpers but his actual shooting percentages are not incredible. worried it wont translate against pro defense

Stay away from this guy! His shot selection is horrible, he's doesn't project to be a good defender at the next level, and he's very streaky. Sure, in a highlight reel, his shot looks good, but he shot 39% from the field and 29% from 3 in college despite being almost 22 years old… Can't see him suddenly becoming an efficient shooter in the NBA if he can't shoot the ball even semi-well in college as a junior. Very concerning for a guy whose primary strength is supposed to be shooting. If you look at current NBA sharpshooters like Curry, Kyrie, Korver, Klay, Reddick, etc, they were all efficient shooters in college.

Please, Cavs, take Hollis-Jefferson and don't look back!

Stay away from this guy! His shot selection is horrible, he's doesn't project to be a good defender at the next level, and he's very streaky. Sure, in a highlight reel, his shot looks good, but he shot 39% from the field and 29% from 3 in college despite being almost 22 years old… Can't see him suddenly becoming an efficient shooter in the NBA if he can't shoot the ball even semi-well in college as a junior. Very concerning for a guy whose primary strength is supposed to be shooting. If you look at current NBA sharpshooters like Curry, Kyrie, Korver, Klay, Reddick, etc, they were all efficient shooters in college.

Please, Cavs, take Hollis-Jefferson and don't look back!
I hear you, and those are valid concerns, but what did he shoot last year? 44.4%/39.5%.

I think an NBA team looks at that as an easy fix. Bench his butt if he starts chucking ill-advised jumpers, and let him play when he's taking smart shots. Getting fed open jumpers from LeBron/Kyrie would certainly help in his shot selection. I don't think you'll find a more competent player at 24, unless you're into players with off-court problems (I'd still probably take Upshaw if both were available).

I was thinking he might be a jimmer at the next level though. I mean he can make long jumpers but his actual shooting percentages are not incredible. worried it wont translate against pro defense
I was getting ready to say, I have a bad feeling about him for some reason. I don't know, the jumper looks pure and silky smooth, but even when I was watching him beast during the tournament, I felt like he wasn't an NBA player.

If he was better at defense or more athletic, than it could make a big difference. But I don't know. I have a feeling he would get abused on defense and it would be another Joe Harris situation.

He's not the same thing as Joe Harris. I look at this guy as a potential JR smith replacement if the Cavs think they will lose him in free agency for some reason.

However I think that the Cavs still could use another PG who can challenge Isaiah Thomas/ Schroder type guys at the point of attack.

Damn, so there doesn't seem much middle ground opinion on the guy. Comparisons range from Steph/Klay to Jimmer/Joe Harris. Definitely a polarizing prospect to keep an eye on.

He's not the same thing as Joe Harris. I look at this guy as a potential JR smith replacement if the Cavs think they will lose him in free agency for some reason.

However I think that the Cavs still could use another PG who can challenge Isaiah Thomas/ Schroder type guys at the point of attack.

I would love if Cameron Payne or Tyus Jones falls to us.

I know he's not Joe Harris, but I mean he could end up never playing or going to the D League if he can't play defense. We need someone that can contribute right away and could play.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."