• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

A Closer Look at Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Douglar

Intentionally Grounded
Staff member
Reaction score
He's Chad's pick at #24

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...d-Mock-Draft&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_ford_mock5

With the strong play of Matthew Dellavedova in the playoffs and the elite point guards in the draft all off the board, the Cavs can move onto other needs. One is a long-term sub forLeBron James. Shawn Marion and James Jones will both be gone and Hollis-Jefferson is the one sophomore who can come in and play right away thanks to his stellar defensive abilities. If he was a better shooter, he'd be a top-10 pick. Justin Anderson, Terry Rozier and Christian Wood could all be nice picks here, as well.
Draft Express has him at #20

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Rondae-Hollis-Jefferson-6466/

Hollis-Jefferson is a great athlete, measured at 6'7” with a long 7'0.5” wingspan with a strong frame as well. He will be able to match up athletically with many wing NBA players, as his combination of strength, quickness and explosiveness will be difficult to match. He complements his athleticism by playing with high energy, going full speed almost all game while bouncing all around the floor.

Hollis-Jefferson isn't a prolific offensive player at this point in his career and his14.8 per 40 minutes pace adjustedranked near the bottom of all players in our top-100. Most of his offense is derived from his athleticism and energy, as he runs the floor well in transition and is constantly cutting to open spaces in the halfcourt to get easy baskets. He finishes well around the rim, at a clip of 56.3% according to Synergy Sports Technology, as he uses his leaping ability to play above the rim. He absorbs contact well and can finish while drawing a foul, with his7.1 free throw attempts per 40 minutes pace adjustedranking as the most of any small forward in our top-100.

He doesn't create well off the dribble in the half-court as he looks tentative at times catching the ball in an attacking position from the perimeter. When he has a head of steam in transition, he is capable of getting to the rim through a quick, straight-line drive, but he isn't always able to do so against a compact half-court defense. He can make plays off the dribble based on his athleticism alone at times, but struggles when challenged defensively. He isn't great utilizing his off-hand, and he doesn't have great ball-handling skills to get past his defender in tight spaces.

More concerning is the fact that he isn't much of a jump shooter, as his inconsistent form prevents him from being reliable from any kind of range at this point in his career. He made just six of 29 three point attempts this season (20.7%),the lowest among small forwards in our top-100 rankingsand just 36.3% of all jump shots according to Synergy Sports Technology. His shooting mechanics need serious work, possibly a major overhaul, to turn into any type of shooter opponents need to respect.​

[parsehtml]<script height="463px" width="823px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=R1bGphdDpUzA4ytQ6DZEqmaquG2iuaKz&pbid=23b69841d9454479a6f4fcf4a8514588"></script>[/parsehtml]

I don't know a ton about the kid, but the measurables would be enough to be willing to take a chance on him. If he is truly good at defense and athletic, then he could get better at offense. It is much easier for someone to learn how to get better on offense, then learn to be better at defense. Leanord wasn't suppose to be good at offense when he came in the league, but he learned. But he already possessed the defense, hustle, work ethic, and athleticism.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the guy to do it, but we should be looking for someone that already possesses the defense and athleticism but could grow on offense.

LeBron's backup. This is the guy I want.

I'd rather go with someone more proven (i.e. not a rookie).
Like who? I'm tired of these "vets" who can give us nothing on the court. I like what I'm hearing about this guy. He plays hard and has a high motor. Very versatile and long on defense. Very athletic too, I was surprised from those highlights I saw. This is exactly what we need on this team. If he can develop a respectable jumper, it would be that much better. But you can never have too many people with a high motor on a team. I think he would fit right in.

Like who? I'm tired of these "vets" who can give us nothing on the court. I like what I'm hearing about this guy. He plays hard and has a high motor. Very versatile and long on defense. Very athletic too, I was surprised from those highlights I saw. This is exactly what we need on this team. If he can develop a respectable jumper, it would be that much better. But you can never have too many people with a high motor on a team. I think he would fit right in.

As @kovanovich mentioned in another thread - hopefully someone via Haywood's contract or possibly the taxpayer's MLE.

Like what I saw in the video. Reminds me of MKG and Corey Brewer a bit. If someone could fix his shot, I think this would be an amazing option.

Its nice to be drafting for solid role players rather than taking risks on guys who have higher potential.

Seems like he can be what we thought Trix would give us this year: a versatile defender and rebounder.

Maybe he learns how to hit a corner three in a few years, but until then he provides great value as a role player.

Sounds like a sound pick to me.

Like what I saw in the video. Reminds me of MKG and Corey Brewer a bit. If someone could fix his shot, I think this would be an amazing option.

Its nice to be drafting for solid role players rather than taking risks on guys who have higher potential.
Honestly I think despite him being a relatively safe pick, he still has a pretty high ceiling, which is one of the reason I'm really fond of the pick. In all likelihood, he'll probably be an athletic defender off the bench who can fill in while LeBron is out and provide energy. Yet there's still the chance the kid works hard (especially on his shot) and becomes a Kawhi-lite.

Things i like: high motor, and moves without the ball. Willing passer to boot!

Things i don't like: double-barrelled names don't fit on Jerseys

Thing I hate:

The bench needs somebody with strong penetration and ball handling skills badly. It is almost to the point where I don't care how elite a ranking kids get in other areas of the game if they can't dribble and pass.

Delly, Shump, RHJ, Tristan, Timo...that group would be fun to watch on defense...would probably score 70 points per 100 possessions on offense, but man that'd be a fun defensive grouping.

How bout we go for two way players instead of liabilities 50% if the time they're on the floor

I can't see the Cavs taking anyone who can't immediately shoot.

LeBron and Kyrie need spacing. Players would sag off of Rondae to help.

He'd be in Canton next year.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."