• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

A trip from Slovenia to Cleveland for the season opener

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

davoor

Situational Stopper
Reaction score
Hi!

I apologize in advance for the long post. :smile new:
My name is Davor from Slovenia. I have been on the forum for quite a while now, even though I've mostly been a lurker. I'm 22 and finally have a job as a student at a Slovenian mobile network provider so I have some cash saved up. Because of that I'm thinking about making a trip from Slovenia to Cleveland for the season opener against the Knicks. I always wanted to go watch and NBA as such an event is kind of a big deal for me. Since the end of the Finals I've been thinking about going to the season opener, cause I want to see the ring ceremony and the raising of the banner. Even though just watching an NBA game would be special enough, but this would be extra special, cause it will include all the of things mentioned above and the atmosphere will also probably be awesome since it's the first game of the season.

I have not bought any plane tickets or anything as of yet, but I have a rough draft of plan. The whole trip would last a week and I'd be in Cleveland for 2-3 days, then go to NYC for a couple of days and then fly home.

So here is the rough draft.
Early morning on October 24th I would leave from the airport here, and land late afternoon on Hopkins international airport. Then I'd be in Cleveland through the 26th or the 27th and go by train to NYC where I'd be till the 30th and then fly home.

Where I would please need your help now is in giving any advice on where I could stay in Cleveland for 2-3 nights. If you know any hostels or motels that would come on the cheap side and are OK to stay at (i.e. are not total shitholes) I would be very grateful. Even though the trip would be kind of expensive, I am trying to save as much money as I can and not just waste it for nothing. The second question I have is where I should buy the tickets for the game. I know the tickets for the game will probably be more expensive and in high demand so I'd like to buy them as fast as I can so I know that I will be going to the game for sure. I also don't know when the tickets will come onto the market so I could buy them.
So the the day after the game in the afternoon I'd either go by train to NYC or go visit some more places in Cleveland. If you guys can give any advice on what I should see in Cleveland I'd also be very grateful.
And then for NYC. If anyone knows a good place to stay there (that are also not total shitholes), I'd also be very grateful, but for the time being I'd appreciate if any of you can help me with the thing I mentioned above.

Like I said I don't really have a complete plan so any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Also I know my trip is kind of a short one but unfortunately I can only get 10 days of at the end of October so I have to cram as much stuff as I can into that 1 week. I'll probably go on the trip alone as no one I know either has the time at the end of October or doesn't have enough money to make the trip.

BTW I don't even know is this is the right sub forum to post this in. So if it has to be moved into another sub forum I sorry in advance. Also can you change Sloevnia to Slovenia in the thread title :D

Thank you for reading and like I said: any suggestions would be much appreciated. :rock:

Sorry I can't help with the hotel. Never stayed in a hotel in Cleveland as my dad lives right outside of the city.

You'll definitely want to stop on East 4th while you're in Cleveland though. Most of the time ESPN was showing the crowds in the Finals it was East 4th. Really cool place with a lot of different fun things to do depending on what your interests are. Butcher and Brewer is awesome if you like beer. Also have pretty good food and a good crowd.

Also why NYC?

Your best bet is to stay in a hotel outside of Cleveland. In down town you have some decent hotels but they are expensive. What is your definition of "cheap" hotel?

If you're looking for a hostel, Cleveland Hostel has good reviews and is right across the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge from Downtown in Ohio City. Looks like rooms start at about $26 per night if you share and $65 per night for a private room.

Can't say I've ever stayed there but, like I said, it seems as though there are lots of positive reviews.

http://www.theclevelandhostel.com/

ETA: With the hostel's location being right on West 25th, you're in a prime location for dining. Great Lakes Brewery, Town Hall, Flying Fig, Bier Markt, Market Garden, etc, etc. Plus, you're also right across from the West Side Market, which is one of Cleveland's most visited spots.

Last edited:
Hi!

I apologize in advance for the long post. :smile new:
My name is Davor from Slovenia. I have been on the forum for quite a while now, even though I've mostly been a lurker. I'm 22 and finally have a job as a student at a Slovenian mobile network provider so I have some cash saved up. Because of that I'm thinking about making a trip from Slovenia to Cleveland for the season opener against the Knicks. I always wanted to go watch and NBA as such an event is kind of a big deal for me. Since the end of the Finals I've been thinking about going to the season opener, cause I want to see the ring ceremony and the raising of the banner. Even though just watching an NBA game would be special enough, but this would be extra special, cause it will include all the of things mentioned above and the atmosphere will also probably be awesome since it's the first game of the season.

I have not bought any plane tickets or anything as of yet, but I have a rough draft of plan. The whole trip would last a week and I'd be in Cleveland for 2-3 days, then go to NYC for a couple of days and then fly home.

So here is the rough draft.
Early morning on October 24th I would leave from the airport here, and land late afternoon on Hopkins international airport. Then I'd be in Cleveland through the 26th or the 27th and go by train to NYC where I'd be till the 30th and then fly home.

Where I would please need your help now is in giving any advice on where I could stay in Cleveland for 2-3 nights. If you know any hostels or motels that would come on the cheap side and are OK to stay at (i.e. are not total shitholes) I would be very grateful. Even though the trip would be kind of expensive, I am trying to save as much money as I can and not just waste it for nothing. The second question I have is where I should buy the tickets for the game. I know the tickets for the game will probably be more expensive and in high demand so I'd like to buy them as fast as I can so I know that I will be going to the game for sure. I also don't know when the tickets will come onto the market so I could buy them.
So the the day after the game in the afternoon I'd either go by train to NYC or go visit some more places in Cleveland. If you guys can give any advice on what I should see in Cleveland I'd also be very grateful.
And then for NYC. If anyone knows a good place to stay there (that are also not total shitholes), I'd also be very grateful, but for the time being I'd appreciate if any of you can help me with the thing I mentioned above.

Like I said I don't really have a complete plan so any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Also I know my trip is kind of a short one but unfortunately I can only get 10 days of at the end of October so I have to cram as much stuff as I can into that 1 week. I'll probably go on the trip alone as no one I know either has the time at the end of October or doesn't have enough money to make the trip.

BTW I don't even know is this is the right sub forum to post this in. So if it has to be moved into another sub forum I sorry in advance. Also can you change Sloevnia to Slovenia in the thread title :D

Thank you for reading and like I said: any suggestions would be much appreciated. :rock:

You should talk to @simmy for some advice. He just did a similar thing last year(coming from Australia), so he might have some really good insight to share with you

By the way, Slovenia is gorgious..
Yes...

Iris_Kavka.jpg

Indeed it is...

s02_4_sandra_00_i700.jpg

First image is :bowdown: Iris Kavka :la:

Second image is Sandra Marinovic :doh (1): :mouth water:

... for those of you wondering (i.e. @gourimoko ). :chuckle:

Sorry I can't help with the hotel. Never stayed in a hotel in Cleveland as my dad lives right outside of the city.

You'll definitely want to stop on East 4th while you're in Cleveland though. Most of the time ESPN was showing the crowds in the Finals it was East 4th. Really cool place with a lot of different fun things to do depending on what your interests are. Butcher and Brewer is awesome if you like beer. Also have pretty good food and a good crowd.

Also why NYC?

Thanks for the info. If I' go I'll make sure to chek it out :)
As for why NYC. Well I know it probably smells, is crowded and many other bad things, but a city of this magnitude is something special here in Slovenia. I'll probably like Cleveland more, still NYC is something special so that's why I'll check it out :)

If you're looking for a hostel, Cleveland Hostel has good reviews and is right across the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge from Downtown in Ohio City. Looks like rooms start at about $26 per night if you share and $65 per night for a private room.

Can't say I've ever stayed there but, like I said, it seems as though there are lots of positive reviews.

http://www.theclevelandhostel.com/

ETA: With the hostel's location being right on West 25th, you're in a prime location for dining. Great Lakes Brewery, Town Hall, Flying Fig, Bier Markt, Market Garden, etc, etc. Plus, you're also right across from the West Side Market, which is one of Cleveland's most visited spots.

Wow thank you. I looks great and also quite cheap. Thank you. What is the best and quickest way to the Q? Taxi, Uber or is it worth walking?

You should talk to @simmy for some advice. He just did a similar thing last year(coming from Australia), so he might have some really good insight to share with you

Yeah I remember the thread. That's when I said "I really need to go to Cleveland to watch a game someday". Looks like it's finally becoming a reality. :bigshock:

Yes...

Iris_Kavka.jpg

Indeed it is...

s02_4_sandra_00_i700.jpg

First image is :bowdown: Iris Kavka :la:

Second image is Sandra Marinovic :doh (1): :mouth water:

... for those of you wondering (i.e. @gourimoko ). :chuckle:

Ohh yes, yes it is ;)

natasa-naneva01_i607x500.jpg

0013960091.jpg

For those of you who have come to the end of the post. When do the tickets for the opener usually come onto the market? I would really like have some security on that part as well.

Wow thank you. I looks great and also quite cheap. Thank you. What is the best and quickest way to the Q? Taxi, Uber or is it worth walking?
Walking would probably take you about a half hour. Uber or taxi are always options as well. The drive over the bridge to get downtown takes only a few minutes.

Another option, if you do end up staying at the hostel, is the RTA Red Line. There's a station a short walk from the hostel that goes to a station at Tower City. From Tower City, you can walk to The Q in only a few minutes. Fare will cost you less than $3, the ride takes about five minutes, and the train should run well after the game is over.

http://www.riderta.com/routes/redline

I also want to plug staying in W. 25th area, also known as Ohio City. Ten years ago, it was a shithole. If you stay there, you will occasionally see leftovers from its past. However, it's also comparatively inexpensive and the food/beer scene is great. You will only be separated from the Q by one bridge, and it's probably the nicest looking bridge in the city. I'd suggest Uber, I never had a problem using it.

Bravo stari! I envy you my fellow slovenian.
Man, looks like I will have to miss on LeBron era. "Invested" in my 3rd kid, Cleveland will just have to produce another GOAT level player. Or KI could do me a favor and build on Also, this is a more realistic Slo product.
tanja_zagar_5.jpg

Last edited:

Firstly, best of luck @davoor. My visit was absolutely life-changing so you can certainly expect to forge some unforgettable memories if indeed, you do proceed!

I didn't exactly do things on the cheap, but this should hopefully give you some rough ideas:

• Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade - http://cleveland.regency.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html - beautiful hotel and The Arcade is a gorgeous place to be when you're Downtown. It's only a short walk from The Q and directly opposite E 4th where I'm sure you'll be spending a lot of your time. For me, the location itself was an integral part of why the trip so special.

• I bought my tickets online at StubHub - http://www.stubhub.com/. Just a warning though as they don't come on the cheap and definitely won't be any cheaper on opening night. I had to fork out $250 USD a ticket albeit I was virtually courtside. But the process is simple: you pay online, they send you a MasterCard with the ticket details pre-loaded and you scan it at the gate on entry.

• We also took an Uber around the city, visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, stopped at a Swensons for a Galley Boy.

• With New York in mind, I stayed at the Grand Hyatt beside Grand Central Central - http://newyork.grand.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html. Again, not necessarily on the cheap side, but it's location was invaluable. A 10 second walk to the station meant we could navigate the city via subway with considerable ease and you're only a 10 minute walk from Times Square without the hustle, bustle and noise.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help. Best of luck!

Firstly, best of luck @davoor. My visit was absolutely life-changing so you can certainly expect to forge some unforgettable memories if indeed, you do proceed!

I didn't exactly do things on the cheap, but this should hopefully give you some rough ideas:

• Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade - http://cleveland.regency.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html - beautiful hotel and The Arcade is a gorgeous place to be when you're Downtown. It's only a short walk from The Q and directly opposite E 4th where I'm sure you'll be spending a lot of your time. For me, the location itself was an integral part of why the trip so special.

• I bought my tickets online at StubHub - http://www.stubhub.com/. Just a warning though as they don't come on the cheap and definitely won't be any cheaper on opening night. I had to fork out $250 USD a ticket albeit I was virtually courtside. But the process is simple: you pay online, they send you a MasterCard with the ticket details pre-loaded and you scan it at the gate on entry.

• We also took an Uber around the city, visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, stopped at a Swensons for a Galley Boy.

• With New York in mind, I stayed at the Grand Hyatt beside Grand Central Central - http://newyork.grand.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html. Again, not necessarily on the cheap side, but it's location was invaluable. A 10 second walk to the station meant we could navigate the city via subway with considerable ease and you're only a 10 minute walk from Times Square without the hustle, bustle and noise.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help. Best of luck!

Thanks @CavsSimmy!! I will certainly PM you sometime in the near future when I have a few more details of the trip in order.

For a place to stay I would recommend using AirBnB

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."