• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Another How to fix the draft and eliminate Tanking Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tornicade

2018 RBF League Champion
Reaction score
Options
1. Complete even lottery with all teams.
2. reverse draft(top players picks teams) Teams have decline options
3. 2nd round d league draft
4. draft auction
5. revise lottery so that bottom 8-10 teams get redrawn with same odds
6. All players are drafted into D League ( teams must have their own d league team) under rookie salary cap provisions. D league teams pick in order of their previous season finish. (best to worst.)

Personally I would love to see option 6 with the NBA going all in on the d league as a their version of triple AAA.

NBA teams are not rewarded for losing and they are rewarded for how well their d league team performs.

best of all its already set up to do so with NBA teams being able to designate 2 players for the NBA

7. Reinstitute territorial rights.
8. Reinstitute drafting players out of high school.
9. Merge the NCAA and the D-League.
10. Pay all minor league players with real money, including those who play for teams owned by colleges and universities. Why should pseudo-students settle for "payment" in tuition room and board? Sounds like a boondoggle to me.

7. Reinstitute territorial rights.
8. Reinstitute drafting players out of high school.
9. Merge the NCAA and the D-League.
10. Pay all minor league players with real money, including those who play for teams owned by colleges and universities. Why should pseudo-students settle for "payment" in tuition room and board? Sounds like a boondoggle to me.
The drafting younger players straight to d league is one of the options that has been looked at. the current d league pay structure would need a big boost from the NBA to make that work and it is very achievable.

College players getting paid is another matter entirely and isn't something the NBA could accomplish over an offseason.

so 9 and isn't gonna happen. The NBA could ether establish a viable pay package in the d league to compete against the universities for high school recruits. or focus on giving these players a better option to go into after college other than the euroleague.

number 10 is torpedoed or the same reasons NBA cannot make the Universities pay their players or become a minor league for the NBA other than to the level they already are.

as far as territorial rights.. are you going by where the kids played high school or colleges ad how would that alone address teams tanking intentionally.

The drafting younger players straight to d league is one of the options that has been looked at. the current d league pay structure would need a big boost from the NBA to make that work and it is very achievable.

College players getting paid is another matter entirely and isn't something the NBA could accomplish over an offseason.

so 9 and isn't gonna happen. The NBA could ether establish a viable pay package in the d league to compete against the universities for high school recruits. or focus on giving these players a better option to go into after college other than the euroleague.

number 10 is torpedoed or the same reasons NBA cannot make the Universities pay their players or become a minor league for the NBA other than to the level they already are.

as far as territorial rights.. are you going by where the kids played high school or colleges ad how would that alone address teams tanking intentionally.

In my scheme, where kids are FROM is where they are FROM. Josh Jackson is from Detroit, so the Pistons would get first dibs. The Nets could not tank for him.

College teams would be minor league teams affiliated with NBA teams. Josh Jackson would never be FROM Kansas. He would have been drafted out of high school by the Pistons, and assigned to a minor league team (the Lansing Spartans? The Ann Arbor Wolverines?).

I would like to see the myth of the revenue-sport-athlete-as-student dispatched. Those guys are minor league ball players. Why do US colleges and universities own minor league teams? Seems arbitrary to me.

In my scheme, where kids are FROM is where they are FROM. Josh Jackson is from Detroit, so the Pistons would get first dibs. The Nets could not tank for him.

College teams would be minor league teams affiliated with NBA teams. Josh Jackson would never be FROM Kansas. He would have been drafted out of high school by the Pistons, and assigned to a minor league team (the Lansing Spartans? The Ann Arbor Wolverines?).

I would like to see the myth of the revenue-sport-athlete-as-student dispatched. Those guys are minor league ball players. Why do US colleges and universities own minor league teams? Seems arbitrary to me.
You cant make the college teams a minor league for the NBa. they already are. that's part of the problem/

The D- League transformed into a farm system and representing the teams draft by having to win. You could even pt a terrotortial snippet in there which I believe the d league already has.

D league should target the one and dones. If a kid could make 60-80k a year and be available for an NBA Rookie scale contract when he is 18. Rick Pitino would need to change his recruiting strategy.

after a decade of that .. maybe the NCAA starts playing their players but the current draft has two issues.
1. Teams leave the cupboard bare when they tank so the young talent acquired has the deck stacked against them
2. players are coming out of college not developed. so the NBA is overpaying for talent.

I believe the best option is to scratch the NBA draft entirely.
Currently only 5 NBA teams do not have a dedicated affiliated club.

Lets say the Canton charge win the championship. They would have the number 1 pick.
They could take a under 18 prospect and have him locked in their developmental team for 2 seasons then decide if they want to offer him a rookie contract.
Or they could draft the best over 18 prospect to a rookie contract.
The Cavs then have 45 days to evaluate the player on the cavs to determine if he needs more development. if so they can send him to the d league team for the rest of the season. Either way the future star is under contract for 4 years

same goes for a 2nd round pick.

Teams could still trade for picks but the parent team regular season record has no impact on where they draft.

Also it impacts the mindset of the d league player in general. As team play and roles will be just as in demand offsetting the I before team we see prevalent in the d league at the moment.

I think relegation would solve it easy.

Imagine 50 total teams, 20 in the D league and 30 in the NBA. Bottom 3 NBA teams go to the D league top 3 D league teams go to the NBA.

The draft is 4 rounds and alternates by league. D league is all round 1, NBA round 2 etc.

NBA teams would never be able to tank because they would lose millions of dollars getting relegated.

The D league lottery would be weighted differently to spread the chances out for all 20 picks. This would lead to competitive basketball all the way to April and allow 20 additional cities a chance at an NBA team.

Option 7: I think the current system is great the way it is
for who ? not the fans of tanking teams who at paying good money.

This also goes along way in making the regular season unimportant has you have more teams trying to lose than competing for championships.

The Draft is gonna change.The Networks are demanding it.

I like the lotto rules as is. Just penalize for multiple years of shit.

If you finish in the top 3, after the lottery, you keep your pick in year 1. If you finish in the top 3, after lottery in year two, you automatically get the lowest possible seed you were slotted (i.e. if you win, you are dropped to 4). Year 3 you cannot pick inside the top 10 (pick 11). If in year 4, your pick lands in the top 3, you forfeit the pick.

This will force teams to play hard for years. Its value should be carried over to traded picks as well. Boston getting the #1 pick this year? Ridiculous on all accounts.

for who ? not the fans of tanking teams who at paying good money.

This also goes along way in making the regular season unimportant has you have more teams trying to lose than competing for championships.

The Draft is gonna change.The Networks are demanding it.
For the organizations. Small markets need a mechanism to be able to draft stars, and the current system does a great job at rewarding the teams that need the most talent by giving the best chance at drafting those stars, while making it a lottery system so it’s not guaranteed and making tanking a risky proposition.

Tanking brought us the greatest singular basketball talent of a generation, and I’m sure the team or fans didn’t mind lower revenues in the 2002-2003 season considering what followed in the next decade. It’s a great system.

I don’t see why the national broadcast networks should care either. They don’t show lottery teams anyway.

For the organizations. Small markets need a mechanism to be able to draft stars, and the current system does a great job at rewarding the teams that need the most talent by giving the best chance at drafting those stars, while making it a lottery system so it’s not guaranteed and making tanking a risky proposition.

Tanking brought us the greatest singular basketball talent of a generation, and I’m sure the team or fans didn’t mind lower revenues in the 2002-2003 season considering what followed in the next decade. It’s a great system.

I don’t see why the national broadcast networks should care either. They don’t show lottery teams anyway.
Really?

How many top 5 picks are with other teams 5 years later?

Small markets? you mean Philadelphia. LA and New York?

Whats teams are on top right now besides Cleveland? Houston, Golden State, San Antonio. has any of these franchises tanked in the last 5 years.

The Cavs tank got bailed out by Lebron the initial tank. the Cavs were just horribly bad and Lebron was actually a guy worth tanking for.

Everything should stay the same because the Cavs benefited from the tank in 20003.. its not even the same draft system.

Also the Cavs are at the forefront of the D League and has invested a lot of resources into it.

sorry. the cavs got Lebron in 2003 is not a solid argument to continue tanking.

Also Teams make hefty revenues from their Local tv contracts. who do you think owns those contracts? that's right.. the national broadcasters.

and Cleveland isn't even a small market. their a mid size market. which is why they have football, basketball and baseball

I think making it a true lottery (i.e. not having it for just the top 3 or 4 picks) would lower the incentive to outright tank. I mean yeah give more odds based on position but other than that I think that would be an improvement over some of the stuff we've been seeing.

At least the proverbial treadmill wouldn't be that terrible of a place to be in, you could at least field a competitive team and go anywhere in the lottery as opposed to being stuck in your position if you strike out on the top 3 picks with the odds heavily stacked against you anyhow.

Make it reverse of standings (worst team picks first, etc), but require a declining payment based on position. For example, worst team has to pay $10 million just to draft in that slot. If they balk at that price, 2nd worst has option to pay or pass.

Now, you may say "but major markets will have no problem paying that." Cool. In that case, the payment is done removed from available salary. If you're still worried about market, use a multiplier to punish bigger markets more than less desirable markets.

As a Cavs fan and how everything turned out, I am glad the lottery was the way it was however, since a number one pick is not a guaranteed HoF or perennial All Star, I think that the worst team should get the first pick period regardless of tanking. The team still has to pick the right player. Tanking by the organization by putting bad players on the team to get a lower pick only makes valuable vets not want to come to that team and those are the people that put you over the top.

Have a cap on the number of consecutive years you can be in the lottery.

Philly threw this year. I genuinely don't believe half of their guys that are out are hurt. They've been tanking for several years. They should be the 14th pick and everyone who finished behind them in the lottery should be bumped up a slot.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."