• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Backup PG

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henry Tuttle

NBA Starter
Reaction score
I've heard some analysts say the Cavs already have a crowded backcourt after picking up Iman/JR, but I think most of us can agree that we could use a solid backup PG. It looks like the Bucks are going to waive Nate Wolters and I feel like he would be a perfect fit. Every time I've seen him I've been impressed with his ability to get to the basket and create (it's usually against the Cavs, granted) and I remember us being high on him coming out of college (though that was Grant at the helm).

View: https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/553229196848537600

I could see us taking on Wolters on a 10-day contract.

Griffin did say we need a backup point guard.

I'd love to get Mo Williams back somehow. Only chance of that happening though is if he ends up being cut which is probably doubtful. Unless Mo demands it. Not sure of his contract situation.

Iman Shumpert should be playing backup PG when Smith takes minutes at the 2...

Between LeBron, Kyrie and Shump, we should be good. Before Shumpert, I could see the issue; but not any longer. Remember, the guy was drafted to play point guard.

Misread a release. Delete

Last edited:
Iman Shumpert should be playing backup PG when Smith takes minutes at the 2...

Between LeBron, Kyrie and Shump, we should be good. Before Shumpert, I could see the issue; but not any longer. Remember, the guy was drafted to play point guard.
It still wouldn't hurt to have one more true PG though. With Delly's struggles, if Kyrie or Shump go down, we would really need a PG. AJ Price got cut so that 3rd string spot is available, which could be a starter under the right circumstances.

But with one roster spot left, I would still rather prefer another big if there was a choice. If not, get a solid PG if the opportunity presents itself. Just no more wings/forwards. Unless we cut one.

I just don't ever want to see Delly at the 2 guard ever again.

Man, people writing off Delly really quickly here compared to what was being said at the beginning of the year.

The problem is that we've been asking too much of him lately. He's not a guy who can come in and provide a scoring punch for the team a la Mo Williams. He's not a dynamic playmaker or a great athlete. But if we can keep him in a similar role in which we had him earlier this season (steady guy off the bench who can initiate the offense and provide decent defense), we'll be fine.

We've been ravaged by injuries, and that's put him in a position where he isn't equipped with the skills to succeed.

Wolters has been waived

Last edited:
Delly has pissed me off to no extent more than anyone else lately, but what I think people are forgetting is that Delly's original role on this team was to come in for 10-15 mins a game and piss point guards off and give energy, not be a 30 minute plus a night player who at times has to try to look for his due to him handling the ball primarily in certain situations due to certain line ups. Now that we will have depth he can get back to the role that was supposed to be his and one that I think he does play really well.

Will he have to make the occasional wide open three, yeah which is scary but I think what he can provide on the other end for a few minutes a night will out weigh that.

I would love to see us pick up Wolters...I would even argue he's probably a better option than JR Smith coming off the bench.

Have people here even seen Wolters play, let alone play this year? He's been worse than Delly this year, and he provides zero 3 point shooting.

Have people here even seen Wolters play, let alone play this year? He's been worse than Delly this year, and he provides zero 3 point shooting.

He was a bit of fun to watch last year, but he has played sparingly (and bad in limited minutes mind you) this year under a new coach. What backup point guard on the market would you rather have? Just curious.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."