• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Boston’s future

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TheISHT

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
Does anyone get the sense they might regress next year? I believe we will see multiple issues.

1. Are Kyrie and Hayward coming back healthy?
2. Will Smart be back or do they lose him to FA?
3. How is Brown, Tatum, and Rozier going be happy with KI and GH taking all the shots?
4. If they lose Smart and Hayward and Irving play more; they’ll be a much worse defensive team.

I see some trouble in paradise For them next season if they don’t turn some of those 50 cent pieces into a dollar.

They’re going to be absolutely loaded. I don’t see a scenario where they don’t win 60+ games and cruise to the No. 1 seed.

God forbid Ainge suckers some team into giving up something of value for Rozier this summer. That kid is wild and seems like a prime candidate to just completely fall apart away from Stevens’ system.

Irving-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Horford is a monster starting lineup.

The real key is are they willing to go into the luxury tax next year and thus start the clock on the repeater tax to keep Smart. They’re at 107.4M in committed salary on 11 players next year without Smart or Baynes.

Luxury tax is probably gonna be around 121-122M. So they could possibly keep Smart at something like 12M per year and still stay under if they let Baynes go but that would also definitely mean Rozier is gone the following year.

Basically it boils down to which guy would they rather have long-term, Smart or Rozier?

Last edited:
I don't think they'll be worse defensively. Hayward's presence will remove Morris' and Baynes' lack of two-way impact in the starting lineup. It should remain the same or be more versatile.

Offensively, they will be more consistent. Shooting nights like tonight won't happen frequently.

We'll have to see if that translates into NBA finals material though. Need to see them under pressure. This current Boston team plays genuinely free with zero expectations. A healthy Boston will have expectations. Also want to see how Stevens coaches with those expectations.

You are kidding yourself if you think this Boston team is not STACKED for the next half a decade...and we helped them by trading them Kyrie fucking Irving for a bag of pretzels and a half liter of Diet Coke.

I honestly believe a healthy Boston team will be in the Finals next year representing the East even if LeBron stays in the east (even in philly for example). It would take a series of miracles for the Cavs to put some trades together to complete with them.

Does anyone get the sense they might regress next year? I believe we will see multiple issues.

1. Are Kyrie and Hayward coming back healthy?
2. Will Smart be back or do they lose him to FA?
3. How is Brown, Tatum, and Rozier going be happy with KI and GH taking all the shots?
4. If they lose Smart and Hayward and Irving play more; they’ll be a much worse defensive team.

I see some trouble in paradise For them next season if they don’t turn some of those 50 cent pieces into a dollar.

Kyrie and Hayward will be back; I'm sure they'll both play in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Smart will likely be back, because really, what team throws big money at Marcus Smart? He's a system player, just like Crowder. So I'm not sure how the Celtics won't be able to afford Smart within the MLE.

Brown and Tatum are under team control, and they're rookies; I doubt they care all that much. Rozier will likely have another year to figure this out with the Celtics, and he'll re-evaluate in the summer of 2019, but I doubt he leaves by choice .. it's the perfect place for him.

The Celtics will improve as Brown and Tatum age, and as Irving gets comfortable with Hayward. While they might slip a bit without Smart; offensively, they'll be lightyears ahead of where they are today.

We don't have a prayer unless we fix this roster. Big trades are the only way we're going to be able to keep up.

Last edited:
The things that don't show up on the stat sheet are the only things he does. He's not worth more than 12-14. But I doubt the Celtics give a fuck. He would never see the floor there next year anyway.

What team is giving Marcus Smart $12-$14M this summer?

Besides, again, Celts have right of first refusal on any offer sheet, and a team giving that offer sheet has to have that kind of cap space to offer to Marcus Smart.

It's just not happening. I don't think teams are going to line up to offer him more than MLE money, to which, the Celtics can just match and eventually trade him.

We'll see where this goes, Ainge wanted to deal him for Tyreke.

Smart is gone for what he expects to be paid.

If Leonard checks out injury wise, I think Boston would be stupid to not dangle Irving for him.

Irving is a me first iso player. Leonard fits in well with Boston’s culture. Rozier makes horrid decisions, but if you could region him in or get more out of Smart they’d be in a better position than standing pat.

I don't think they'll be worse defensively. Hayward's presence will remove Morris' and Baynes' lack of two-way impact in the starting lineup.

Irving is a sieve. Clarkson could torch the guy.

Last edited:
What team is giving Marcus Smart $12-$14M this summer?

Besides, again, Celts have right of first refusal on any offer sheet, and a team giving that offer sheet has to have that kind of cap space to offer to Marcus Smart.

It's just not happening. I don't think teams are going to line up to offer him more than MLE money, to which, the Celtics can just match and eventually trade him.

I’m right there with you but it only takes one idiot with money.

And given that teams like ORL, PHX, DAL, SAC, CHI don’t have a punchers chance at a legit star in FA but do have a ton of money, there might actually be an idiot out there that still wants to add a potentially attainable young player, gifted on D, and with winning experience to their team. Then the question would be whether Boston would match or no a 10M or higher deal.

But yeah, in no way is he actually worth anything more than the MLE

Everyone here forgets about ball hogs that don’t play D and egos of up comers who proved their worth. Both Tatum and Brown could be 20+ point scores who are efficient. Rozier will think he’s a star being held back by the guy in front. When they only get 5-8 shots efficiency usually drops because it’s harder to build a rhythm. What made this team a good playoff team was their D. Kyrie is a sieve, not sure what Gordon will be. Not only Smart could be gone, but Baynes as well.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."