• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs 16-17 Super Team

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mott the Hoople

NBA Starter
Reaction score
Speculation has been rampant since Lebron talked about his dream to play with DWade, Carmelo, and CP3.
First off, if the Cavs win this year, all bets are off. Don't laugh, you doomsayers. The playoffs have NO similarity with the regular season. It's 16 games or less. With no back-to-backs.
But if they don't win it all, look for serious shake ups.

• I think the easiest part would be DWade. He'll be 35 next season and a free agent.
  • Carmelo reportedly is making plans to get to The Land next season already. He would have to waive no trade clause. But KLove for Carmelo straight up works on the trade machine.
  • The trade machine also says CP3 could be traded to Cleveland for Kyrie and Mo.

I'm not even sure if that would be a good team. But it's not as impossible as it sounds. Just sayin'.

Speculation has been rampant since Lebron talked about his dream to play with DWade, Carmelo, and CP3.
First off, if the Cavs win this year, all bets are off. Don't laugh, you doomsayers. The playoffs have NO similarity with the regular season. It's 16 games or less. With no back-to-backs.

• I think the easiest part would be DWade. He'll be 35 next season and a free agent.
  • Carmelo reportedly is making plans to get to The Land next season already. He would have to waive no trade clause. But KLove for Carmelo straight up works on the trade machine.
  • The trade machine also says CP3 could be traded to Cleveland for Kyrie and Mo.

I'm not even sure if that would be a good team. But it's not as impossible as it sounds. Just sayin'.
That's not a super team. That's a geriatric tour.

LeBron James to NYK for Porzingis, Galloway, Afflalo, Lopez, future 1st Rd Pick.

I know LBJ has mentioned down the road, it would be nice to play with his friends. It's like when i discuss owning a business with my college buddies. Sure it's nice to talk about but will it happen? Who knows.

Can we just focus on the team we have right now? I know it's been a frustrating season but can we just embrace the playoff grind we are about to embark on and worry about 2016-2017 in the off-season? All this speculative fantasy should be reserved for trade rumor thread.

I don't think the "big four in wheelchairs" super team would be as bad as some make it out to be. Unfortunately, I think the big issue would be the same right now, but worse: who is playing third and fourth fiddle to LeBron?

All of CP3, Wade, and Melo are capable of playing second fiddle. The issue is what happens when two out of those three see a significant decrease in their usage rate? Let's play this out.

LBJ is obviously the #1 option. He just can do more with the ball than the other three guys.

I'd lean towards CP3 as the #2, mainly because of his superb passing ability, but Carmelo is also an option. It depends on the style of the team. If we are looking to run an efficient, motion offense than CP3 will be the #2. In this case, you're looking at roughly twelve shots per game for Carmelo, and close to eight shots per game for Wade.

If the offense is more similar to what we are running this year, though, I'd imagine Carmelo will be the #2. Now let's play this one out. How effective can CP3 be as a high usage point guard when his usage rate goes down significantly? This is a serious problem, especially when considering LBJ likes to play point, too. Again, in this situation, Wade is probably only averaging around eight shots per game.

It is the exact same problem. Not enough shots for guys whose primary skill is benefiting the offense. I'd imagine CP3 and Wade would be both more than willing to sacrifice shots, and Wade would probably be very effective in this role. The issue is CP3 needs the ball to be most effective as does Carmelo. So one of those two is not going to be optimally effective.

The one thing about this big four, though, is it is definitely better defensively and as passers. All four are significantly better defenders than Love and Irving, and outside of Carmelo (who has improved his passing substantially this year), are very good passers.

I still think that group, with players like JR, Delly, and TT reinforcing the bench/fifth starter, would easily get to the NBA finals. But we would not be perfect, rather, still very flawed. And we would have very little - if any - long-term potential.

I think, if anything, the team is probably a bit better with the big four during the short-term. I'm concerned about two things. First, the same big offensive problem still exists; and secondly, no long-term future. Just my thoughts, though.

Anyone who thinks this is remotely realistic is beyond saving.

Reactions: RX8

You heard this reported where?

This is the 2003-2004 Lakers without Kobe and Phil.

In other words, it blows and LeBr--err Shaq is leaving to play with Curr--err Wade the following season.

Last edited:
Moved.

For future reference, this section is for members who want to discuss trades or roster moves they would like to see happen. The "Cavs Talk" section is for discussing the actual team as it is created. This isn't new, and it prevents a lot of negative interactions. Please post in the proper section.

Anyone who thinks this is remotely realistic is beyond saving.
What do you mean by this? It is certainly realistically possible. The Knicks would make out like bandits in a Love for Melo trade so I don't foresee a holdup there.

CP3 and Kyrie is close, but if the Clippers get stomped out of the playoffs, or want to start building towards the future it can be a trade that benefits both sides.

Wade would have to take a massive pay cut, but I wouldn't classify that as not remotely realistic.

Would it be an upgrade to what we have? I think CP3 would be the best facilitator you could ask for for that team, but Melo is such a misfit on that team, or any team with LBJ in my opinion.

I don't want the super friends in Cleveland, but
I would drag my balls through a mile of broken glass in the Sahara desert if we could somehow get Wade without parting with any assets. and to be honest CP3 running point with Wade's slashing ability and LBJ at 4 would be amazing. Want zero part of moving Love for Melo though. That's just irresponsible.

Reactions: MrX
Melo wouldn't be bad at SF next to Lebron at PF. The guy is a natural scorer and a reasonable defender, and if left unguarded would be a threat. Agree he is not perfect but KLove is at least as big a misfit on that team.

You get at most two years from that lineup though. Maybe 1.

They would be fun to watch even if unathletic though. Like the crafty old man team at the gym.

Fuck Melo. Fuck Wade. If we can find a way to get CP3 though, I'm all for it.

I already know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I would seriously consider trading Kyrie and Love for Paul, Redick, and a pick.

Do you even realize how unstoppable a Paul-LeBron PnR would be? Paul is unselfish and sill has arguably the best vision in the game. Redick would get hella open shots next to Paul and LeBron. Not to mention the two could create even more looks for JR, as well. And those Delly-Tristan oops would be amplified with Paul throwing the lobs.

Finally, we'd actually have a guard on the perimeter who can contain dribble penetration. Even at 30, he's one of the best PG defenders in the game and personally for me it'll be such a relief to have another star besides LeBron who actually plays both ends.

Paul / Dellavedova
Redick / Shumpert
Smith / Jefferson*
LeBron / Frye
Mozgov / Tristan

We could definitely use an upgrade to RJ, especially considering he'll be a year older next season, but honestly whoever we replace him with wouldn't see many minutes in the playoffs, much less a Finals series, anyhow.

I really like that lineup. It's balanced and it allows LeBron to play his natural position at PF and reduces his load in handling the playmaking duties. The starters are all average-above average defenders and you have an absolutely elite PnR tandem between Paul and LeBron, high IQ guys from 1-4 (even JR has proven to be a pretty smart player, leading the league in the lowest TOV%), deadeye shooters from 1-3, and two shot creators in Paul and LeBron. On the bench, you have solid defense, but the main issue would be shot creation, which is why it would be a good idea to always have one of Paul or LeBron playing with that group. Finally, Paul provides another veteran presence and a coach on the floor, which would be incredibly valuable, considering how inept Lue is. I really think that team could be top 3 in the league in both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency.

Everyone's going to cry about Paul being "on the wrong side of 30." Well, first of all, he's 30 flat. Let's not act like we'd be trading for some grizzled vet here. And I don't want to hear that CP3 is a career loser or anything preposterous like that. He's carrying the Clippers without Griffin and come playoff time, he's always raised his career averages. Are we going to just forget Paul leading the Clippers to the defeat of the Spurs in R1 last year, along with making the final shot in G7 that put them away? Yeah he hasn't been past the second round. But he's been playing in a brutal West and he's the only reason that his teams have gotten close to that far, period. His numbers speak for himself. Furthermore, he's achieved far more playoff success than Love and Kyrie did pre-LeBron, even though I don't blame them as much as most people do for that.

Paul is 6th in RPM, 6th in BPM, 5th in WS/48, 6th in PER, 10th in ORTG (and the only guys ahead of him who also boast a higher USG% are Durant and Curry), 1st in AST%, and 4th in STL%.

Does making that trade reduce our title window? Yes. But let me tell you something. Once LeBron is gone, you can kiss a championship goodbye anyways. And he's not getting any younger, as he's steadily declined since 2013. I don't believe the current group we have is good enough to win a title and since Kyrie and Love won't be able to take us anywhere post-LeBron anyways, it makes so much more sense to go all in now while LeBron is still somewhat near his prime. I don't care about how much more individual career value Kyrie or Love have compared to Paul. I care about winning a title, and I think pulling off this trade gives us a chance to actually do that. Furthermore, Paul is FAR better now than Kyrie or Love have ever been and likely ever will be, so there's a lot of value in that, despite him being older. And like I already mentioned, if Kyrie ever comes close to the level Paul is currently playing at, it won't matter because LeBron will most likely be half the player he is now by then.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."