• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

CBA FINALLY Set

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

cdt

Winter Is Here
Reaction score
Updated: July 30, 2005, 1:14 AM ET
Free agent signings soon to follow
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The NBA's new collective bargaining agreement was finally completed and signed early Saturday, clearing the way for free agent signings to begin Tuesday.

Lawyers for the league and the players' union had been working nearly around the clock for the past several days on drafting the documents for the six-year agreement, which was agreed to in principle more than a month ago.

There already were two delays in the date for free agents to begin signing.

League attorneys will spend the next few days reviewing the agreement with teams, and signings will begin at noon EDT on Tuesday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2120167

Thank god no more delays

The salary cap will be set at $49.5 million, an increase of $5.63 million from last season.

For the first time, teams will know before the season begins what the luxury tax threshold will be -- $61.7 million. Teams with payrolls over that will have to pay a dollar-for-dollar tax on the amount of their payroll that exceeds the $61.7 million.

Under the old luxury tax system, teams did not know until the season ended whether the luxury tax would even kick in, or what the threshold was. The new rules provide a level of cost certainty to replace the cost mystery many owners complained about.

Free agents signing under the midlevel exception, which can offered by teams who are over the salary cap, can sign contracts beginning at $5 million annually.

Great to have the official figure for the cap and hopefully the final date for signings. This does mean I assume, we have 3.5 million left to spend.

Yeah no kidding it could have been done 8 days ago..

Karma said:
Great to have the official figure for the cap and hopefully the final date for signings. This does mean I assume, we have 3.5 million left to spend.

No, actually I believe that we were going based off of a $49 mil cap, so technically, we should have $4 mil now. Not a big difference, but you never know what the extra dough could do.

Yeah I posted that before I read the Windhorst article. It seems we have 3.9 million left to spend.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."