• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Creating a Computer / Phone Repair Buisness

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DeeThree

OKORO!?
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a 32GB and 64 GB USB and 1 TB Drive. I am currently creating a Windows 10 bootable USB. I will re-install Windows and back up user folder to 1 TB Drive. I also put AdwCleaner 7.1, ComboFix, HitmanPro 3.8, Housecall, Malware Bytes and Rkill on 1 TB Drive. I will be offering Anti Virus service for maybe $60 or $75. Speeding up computer for maybe $60 where I will delete %temp% files, allow multiple cores to run in msconfig, delete programs, make sure HD isn't full, turn off useless start up programs, run disk cleanup and recommend they buy a SSD. I will also help with printer installations and internet troubleshooting. Data recovery as well using Recuva.

I'll be designing the business cards soon (I'm thinking of making them lime green with blue/red text). For my first customers I was thinking of going to neighbors and offering the services for a discount price and hopefully ask them to refer me to their family/friends. Is this a good idea ( to charge less, like $40 for services). Then when I get customers I will raise prices. I will also do hardware repair.

What else can I offer?

Thanks

I will be updating this thread with progress :D

Posted ad on Craigslist. Trying to think of other websites I can advertise on.

What's the best way to get legit Windows 10 keys for cheap? Does this site look legit? https://www.windows10productkey.com/

If you mean by "legit" as in, you're getting a Windows 10 key that will work, you can get OEM or Volume Keys for like $10-$15 from all sorts of places online.

But if you plan on using those keys with your customers -- I would strongly recommend you not do that. Those keys work, but are not legally resellable, and Microsoft will open a BSA case against you if they find out you're operating in the states and selling these keys...

Given you're selling technical support, your customers are more likely than the average person to reach out for technical support from Microsoft (or anyone) -- so if they read off a corporate key that you provided to Microsoft tech support, you could get into a legal situation with the BSA.

FWIW, you probably will be dealing with people that have Windows 7 licenses already, so they probably won't mind paying for the upgrade license plus your time. So just make your money charging them for your labor.

What else can I offer?

Depends on how technically savvy you are... Are you familiar with hardware issues?

Fixing phones, laptops, busted screens, hard drive replacements, data recovery ... I used to do all of that while I was in college.

Are you familiar with networking? Windows Server? IIS/Exchange? Can you get familiar with these concepts? If so, small businesses will pay $25-$30/hr+ for what might seem like lower-end or entry-level service providers.

Fixing Apache / IIS is a full-time fucking job especially for eCommerce businesses who find themselves shit up a creek when the latest Windows Server update crashes their shit, or their payment provider decides to stop taking SSL 3.0 from their .NET 2.0 website.

Other points of advice: make sure your invoices look good; always follow-up on outstanding payments (don't give people too much leeway); and make sure your business cards are solid. Don't forget local businesses too. I used to go door-to-door with flyers and my business cards in every corporate or commercial facility advertising. But you can work worldwide for many businesses that have RDP/VNC/SSH access.

Within 3 months I had more clients than I could handle, and my rates went from $25 to $40 in just 6 months, and this was all IT -- with development being a completely different business.

Anyway best of luck to you bro!

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."