• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cross network online?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Dear God that would be amazing. I have too many friends on Xbox I wish I could connect with.
Me too. Literally all my friends have always been on Xbox. And I've always been on Playstation. The only person I know on Playstation is my brother.

This would be awesome, most of my friends jumped to PS4 about a year ago. My xbox has mostly collected dust since then for MP games.

I don't understand how this would work with adding friends and such? As well as gamertags?

Exciting but very confusing. Need specifics.

I don't understand how this would work with adding friends and such? As well as gamertags?

There aren't any specifics yet. Sony (and theoretically Nintendo) would have to agree to open up their networks as well.

Also, I think all they are saying is that PC and XBONE (and maybe later PS4) players could be thrown into a match together. They didn't say anything about crossing friends lists, but my guess is they would just create some feature to search by platform for people.

Those are probably just a few of the many complications that will make this hard to pull off.

I was thinking about how all this would affect sales in the event that it would happen, and honestly I think relatively speaking that each console stays about the same as far as versus each other, but sales overall would go up for each game on either side. So it would really be in everyone's best interest. Like for example, if my friend didn't buy NBA 2k this year on Xbox, but he knew he could play with me on Ps4, he would have bought it. I think this would increase sales for everyone.

Since PC is taking over more, I figured this would benefit consoles more in general. It might influence people to play more on consoles since one of the many benefits that PC provides is a middle ground between Playstation and Xbox. But if Playstation and Xbox teamed up, I would imagine that would benefit both sides and lower more of PC game sales. However, if PC is included in this, then I don't think it hurts anybody. It might not "hurt" PC either way, I just think sales would go up for consoles.

If I had a guess for how this would start out, only a few select (lower tier) games will be cross network at first to test it out. It may be on a game by game basis either way. I hope we can start moving in a direction to make this happen, but I have a bad feeling Sony will reject the idea.

Last edited:
Rocket League is a fun game though. I didn't even know it was on Xbox. I got it a little bit later after the hoopla on it mostly died down but I have been playing it a lot lately. Would be a good first game to be cross network. But it clearly isn't a major franchise like 2k or COD (I don't play COD but I know many people do). Rocket League is already pretty popular but I bet sales would really go through the roof if this was cross network. C'mon Sony! Open up this door to the infinite possibilities!

Now that I site back and think about this. I can't see Sony helping keep their direct competitor afloat. Xbox has 1 more generation in them, then their future is murky at best depending on how their next launch goes. The same was probable said about PS3 in the early years.

I just can't see Sony saying, oh yea all the people that paid $200 for your console can come play against our players. While it would spark some interesting community aspects, it won't happen. Not to mention, console purchase for FPS will die. You just can't compete with a mouse.

Yeah, I imagine it will work exactly how Rocket League works right now between PC and PS4. You'll get in matches with players on other platforms, but will have no way to add friends.

Now that I site back and think about this. I can't see Sony helping keep their direct competitor afloat. Xbox has 1 more generation in them, then their future is murky at best depending on how their next launch goes. The same was probable said about PS3 in the early years.

I just can't see Sony saying, oh yea all the people that paid $200 for your console can come play against our players.

This.

What's in it for Sony?

Nothing.

PS4 is doing just fine without any needed changes, especially giving Microsoft a hand-up.

I also agree that Microsoft has one more console generation in them and that's it.

I think they're rapidly moving towards replacing cable box STBs with unified systems running the Universal Windows Platform. With the purchase of Xamarin/Mono and the releases of .NET Core/DNX, you're going to see more Windows on ARM, which would include, IMO, their future STB-based "consoles."

I could see their future console lines being something similar to the Wii when it was released. Not a graphics powerhouse, but comes with novel features; and in this case, that would be HTPC, with TV tuner, and licensing through your cable provider - so every house could have a Microsoft box for say $10/month.

I say that because Microsoft is about sales/licensing. If they can create a new market space, that'd be preferable for them, rather than continuing to compete against Sony in the console market.

Not to mention, console purchase for FPS will die. You just can't compete with a mouse.

This most definitely.

It would kill the console market completely because you simply cannot compete against a mouse. It would drive console sales down. Parents could buy an Xbox One and save money (kid can play his friends via cross play, so stfu and enjoy it), and competitive players would be driven to buy PCs since they now can't pretend their good at games just by using a controller.

There's just nothing in it for Sony.

@gourimoko What do you think about Ps4 releasing the VR headset this October? And can Xbox compete with that or will they even try to match?

The retail price is just too high for me probably although I've heard it is a competitive starting price. It probably won't become household for a few years, but this seems like a huge step forward.

And this gets me kind of giddy about it

@gourimoko What do you think about Ps4 releasing the VR headset this October? And can Xbox compete with that or will they even try to match?

I think Facebook blew it, and Sony is capitalizing in a big way.

The HTC Vive is superior to the Rift and is in a similar price range, so buying the Rift over the Vive, IMHO, makes no sense.

Whereas, the Sony option is literally half the price of the Vive when you factor total cost today, and the console will likely be $299 retail if bought separately going into the holiday season of 2016. I'm quite sure they'll put together a bundle deal for Black Friday / Christmas which would make the PS4+VR quite competitively priced against just a Rift and cheaper than the Vive.

I think Sony is making a huge play into the VR market, and to be quite honest, I think they're are the most likely to succeed in that space. Personally though, I think the Vive is the best high-end option, but high-end isn't what's going to drive this technology. Instead, it will be about accessibility - and Sony's approach will likely see them with several times more users than the Vive and the Rift combined.

With respect to Microsoft; well, they blew it with the Hololens. It can't really do much that the Vive and the PSVR can't do as well. And while it uses a HUD to display graphics in augmented reality, the Vive/PSVR have built in cameras and mountable cameras to recreate the playing space - so you can get a similar effect via the high FPS camera.

So no, I don't think the Xbox One will be able to compete.

The Oculus Rift requires some pretty beefy hardware, as does the Vive. Both are built from the ground up for PCs that can push 90 FPS minimum at 2k resolution, that's not the Xbox One.

The retail price is just too high for me probably although I've heard it is a competitive starting price. It probably won't become household for a few years, but this seems like a huge step forward.

And this gets me kind of giddy about it

The price point is perfect if you already own a PS4. If not, just wait for a bundle.
With the release price of $399 some pretty decent specs to boot, I think it's a viable option for anyone looking to get into VR. Also, with Unreal Engine and other game engine devs pushing a unified platform-agnostic approach, I'm not sure how Facebook/Oculus will compete against HTC on the high end and PS4 in the mid-range market.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Sony's solution the most, primarily due to the huge footprint of the PS4 and the reasonable price point. But I'll ultimately end up with the Vive for my PC as my primary option until more people pick up the PSVR.

We'll see what happens though. Something tells me the price of the Oculus will drop precipitously in 2017.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."