• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Dakota Mathias

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

David.

Radical Centrist
Reaction score
Doesn't have a thread.

Dakota !

2i8y99h.png

No idea who this fucker is ?

He's got a partially guaranteed deal, so it seems likely that we are still talking about him in training camp.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782431-top-undrafted-players-from-2018-nba-draft#slide0

9. Dakota Mathias (Purdue, SG, Senior)

Final mock draft prediction: Undrafted

Current status: Cleveland Cavaliers, presumably summer league/training camp

Dakota Mathias wasn't expected to hear his name called Thursday night. But it wasn't surprising to learn how quickly he found a team to bring him in. He's been one of the country's most accurate shooters over the last two seasons, making 168 of 365 three-point attempts (46 percent) since the start of his junior year. In 2017-18, he ranked in the 97th percentile in points per possession on jump shots off the dribble while making 43.9 percent of his catch-and-shoot chances.

And though he's not known for being an offensive creator, he also ranked in the 87th percentile as a pick-and-roll scorer and the 93rd percentile as a ball-screen passer. Over the years, Mathias became a tough, hardworking defender and earned the coveted three-and-D label. He will now have the opportunity in Cleveland to outwork and outshoot his competition in summer league and training camp.
https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...artially-guaranteed-deal-cleveland/724888002/

WEST LAFAYETTE — Dakota Mathias watched the final picks of Thursday's NBA Draft with a certain level of comfort.

Through his performances on the workout circuit in previous weeks, the former Purdue guard had begun conversations with a handful of teams. Some offered what he and his representatives considered better fits than what might have been available from teams picking at the bottom of the second round.

Minutes after the draft concluded, Mathias jumped on an opportunity with the Cleveland Cavaliers. His Exhibit 10 agreement serves as a partially guaranteed contract and provides perhaps a wider opening to at least earning a spot in the developmental G League.

"The way their roster is set up right now, something could happen this summer," Mathias said. "They need guys who can defend and shoot the ball at a high level. That's something they preached to me."​

We were probably a smart pick for him. If LeBron stays, he could find a way to stick to the end of the roster simply for his shooting, something every LeBron James team needs a lot of. If LeBron leaves, there will be a shitload of wing minutes suddenly available and we'll be looking to give our young guys a chance to see if they have anything.

I’ll save everyone a few minutes if you are curious who he is.

Imagine a white dude who shoots and plays for Purdue. He looks like that.

Great college defender. But I’m not sure his whiteness will allow that to carry over.

I’ll save everyone a few minutes if you are curious who he is.

Imagine a white dude who shoots and plays for Purdue. He looks like that.
2eqgj82.png

Great college defender. But I’m not sure his whiteness will allow that to carry over.

I wouldn't rule him out. Delly went undrafted because scouts thought he couldn't defend. Draymond Green dropped in the draft because people thought he wouldn't be able to play NBA defense either. Sometimes it just comes down to health, strength and the willingness to kick a few nads.

I wouldn't rule him out. Delly went undrafted because scouts thought he couldn't defend. Draymond Green dropped in the draft because people thought he wouldn't be able to play NBA defense either. Sometimes it just comes down to health, strength and the willingness to kick a few nads.

International white guys don’t abide by the same laws of physical limitations as Americans.

Just a matter if this guy can hang with NBA players or not. If he isn't just too slow overall, he has the skills and discipline to be a Joe Harris type. I bet he doesn't come in nailing it though. He will need time to compensate for the speed of the game like Joe did. He is an even better shooter than Joe though, so maybe his shooting will just be undeniable.

Preston has the athleticism to hang, and Colson prob falls in between.

Cna't wait to see these guys play.

He's got a partially guaranteed deal, so it seems likely that we are still talking about him in training camp.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782431-top-undrafted-players-from-2018-nba-draft#slide0

9. Dakota Mathias (Purdue, SG, Senior)

Final mock draft prediction: Undrafted

Current status: Cleveland Cavaliers, presumably summer league/training camp

Dakota Mathias wasn't expected to hear his name called Thursday night. But it wasn't surprising to learn how quickly he found a team to bring him in. He's been one of the country's most accurate shooters over the last two seasons, making 168 of 365 three-point attempts (46 percent) since the start of his junior year. In 2017-18, he ranked in the 97th percentile in points per possession on jump shots off the dribble while making 43.9 percent of his catch-and-shoot chances.

And though he's not known for being an offensive creator, he also ranked in the 87th percentile as a pick-and-roll scorer and the 93rd percentile as a ball-screen passer. Over the years, Mathias became a tough, hardworking defender and earned the coveted three-and-D label. He will now have the opportunity in Cleveland to outwork and outshoot his competition in summer league and training camp.
https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...artially-guaranteed-deal-cleveland/724888002/

WEST LAFAYETTE — Dakota Mathias watched the final picks of Thursday's NBA Draft with a certain level of comfort.

Through his performances on the workout circuit in previous weeks, the former Purdue guard had begun conversations with a handful of teams. Some offered what he and his representatives considered better fits than what might have been available from teams picking at the bottom of the second round.

Minutes after the draft concluded, Mathias jumped on an opportunity with the Cleveland Cavaliers. His Exhibit 10 agreement serves as a partially guaranteed contract and provides perhaps a wider opening to at least earning a spot in the developmental G League.

"The way their roster is set up right now, something could happen this summer," Mathias said. "They need guys who can defend and shoot the ball at a high level. That's something they preached to me."​

The Exhibit 10 deals can be converted into Two-Way deals. It's set up so that if he impresses in Summer League and Training Camp, they could have him on the 15 man. If not, they can easily convert him to a two-way deal and see how he develops with the option of bringing him onboard if he's called up and shows promise.

I think Mathias and Colson are Two-way targets. Guys with some upside that could become rotation players at some point. Preston may get a minimum deal from the MLE that allows the Cavs to give him a three year deal (2 years at min + team option) so they can control him due to his much higher upside. He may still spend plenty of time in Canton, but I expect he'll take spot #15 instead of 16 or 17.

The remaining question is if they want to also use spot 14 for development. They could sign someone else to a min deal and let them spend time in the G-League as well. I think that will hinge on what happens with LeBron and if they see Zizic as staying in Cleveland with no Canton stints.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."