• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

David Blatt v. Tyronn Lue

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Reaction score
People criticized Lue...but let’s be frank, people criticize EVERY coach on every team, because no coach makes the right decisions or pushes the right buttons 100% of the time. It’s impossible.

But in only half a season as head coach, he did a damn good job, pushing the right buttons more often than not. A damn good one. He prepared this team very very well in terms of gameplans, doubled down in going small and playing fast, and held his ground when people were skeptical.

He just beat a Warriors team where no team had ever beat them more than once on their home floor. He just beat a team that had never lost three consecutive games in the Kerr era.

Lue bet on himself and coached himself into a nice raise this summer. Well deserved.

Gotta give lots of credit to Griffin, He made all the right decisions, greatest GM in Cleveland sports history IMO.

Channing Frye - Don't know how Griffin got this guy for the corpse of Anderson Varejao, just wow.

Richard Jefferson -
How amazing R.J has been, both on & off the floor, great signing. I really don't want him to retire, or at least he should be back as an assistant.

J.R Smith - Two way player that gives his heart & soul for the team, unbelievable we got him just as an "extra guy" from NY lol.

Iman Shumpert - Plays hard & gives it his all, nothing you can ask more from a player, A great teammate & a rough rider that will ride & die for his team.

Mozgov - Mozgod was a beast last year, the knee injury really screwed him this season but that was a great signing at the time.

Firing Blatt -
The right decision, its quite evident now, you won't hear another peep from me or probably anyone else here questioning that decision, Lue is a great coach, he made adjustments and he completely out coached Kerr in the NBA finals when it mattered most, the adjustments he made on both sides changed the series, that's what great coaches do.

Also lets show Dan Gilbert some love, no other owner wanted this more than Dan.

Last edited:
I wasn't happy about the Blatt dismissal but if it was never gonna work out, then it was the right move.

I hope that he can find work elsewhere in the NBA if that is what he desires. He needs control of a younger team without egos ala Brad Stevens/Celtics.

Blatt moved on, why can't we?

I lOOOVED Blatt's press conferences. I know he rubbed some people the wrong way, but I loved that. He really said things about basketball. I said at one point, I wish he was my dad. I really liked Blatt. I know he probably needed more time to get accustomed to the NBA than he had, so I am ok with the firing. I was really against it at the time, and was really worried about the defense until Game 7 lol.

Steve Kerr fucked up big in the third quarter and let Features Ezeli play more.

We exploited that and stormed bsck from down 7, and from.down 5.

Lue did a great.job. he stuck to his guns and it paid off. He stuck with Kevin Love and it produces RESULTS. His trust and confidence in this team are why we made the leap this year. Oh and the fact that when things aren't going our way, he showed COMPOSURE, all season, and that composure translated into a composed locker room and that's why we came back from 3-1.

Kerr stomped and whined like a 4 year old when thing got rough. Curry threw his binkie Lue as cool as a cucumber, and while he got fined, it was a smart,calculated, mature and factual. Props

25k? That's like fining us a $0.25.
So, so, so worth it.
1) It held the refs accountable.
2) It showed the coach had a backbone.
3) Team rallied around him. I don't see Blatt calling the refs out like that. I was wrong b/c I liked Blatt...
4) He did it at the RIGHT time..not after the series had been lost.

I don't think anyone hated his plan it was just a very risky move and really ot a fair situation to put Lue in the first place and still he managed to go into game 5 down 3-1.

Lue winning as coach doesn t really validate anything as Blatt very well could of had the team with a ship in five games.

Just look at the lack of adjustment in game 2. and the struggles in the second half of game 4.

Fortunately for us, Griffin and Lue it worked out

Please step away from the keyboard and kindly shut the fuck up.....
Gouri. please find a time Ever that I have been disrespectful to you. then count all the times you've complained about me and then count all the times you've been disrespectful.

Doesn't seem to work out as a balanced equation.

This is like running through a mine field without the metal detector and saying it was a good idea cause you didn't step on any Mines.

Lue should make a lot of progress in the offseason and running his first training camp. but this is a shared Title between him and Blatt.As Blatt put in all the groundwork. not much different than Luke Walton going undefeated while Kerr was out.

Gouri. please find a time Ever that I have been disrespectful to you. then count all the times you've complained about me and then count all the times you've been disrespectful.

This is like running through a mine field without the metal detector and saying it was a good idea cause you didn't step on any Mines.

Lue should make a lot of progress in the offseason and running his first training camp. but this is a shared Title between him and Blatt.As Blatt put in all the groundwork. not much different than Luke Walton going undefeated while Kerr was out.
Was there really no changes though? The offense was a lot faster after Lue became the head coach. The offensive strategy against Golden State was 100% different. And we dropped Blatt's defensive strategy after game two.

I've come around on giving Blatt a ring, he did lay some general groundwork, but I think discounting what Lue has done is just as, if not more disingenuous as discounting Blatt's role.

Umm, bro, just last year you called me a fucking racist because I said institutional racism was more of a problem due to it's targeted effects than classism.. so umm, yeah, there's that.. :chuckle:

But, look.. Torn... if you think I'm being disrespectful then I apologize, that's not my intent bro.. So, let's get that out of the way right away, because I'm really just jabbing at you in jest man, that's all.

I disagree with the framing of the analogy. I think Lue was a pretty damn good coach, who made great use of timeouts, rotations, got the team into a cohesive working unit, and outcoached the guy who outcoached us last year.

Not only did he outcoach Kerr, he outcoached SVG and Budenholzer, guys who are looked at as top tier. It may be hard for you to believe, but yeah, Ty Lue is that good at his job...

And I start to wonder why so many have trouble seeing it, but have no trouble thinking Brad Stevens is some kind of savant. Shouldn't Lue have a better understanding and BBIQ than Stevens as rookie coaches coming into the league? Or does something separate these two...?

Coming back to this last playoffs run, and the end of the regular season; I really don't know how or why anyone here thinks they're in a position to say that he coached poorly, given the evidence we have in front of us, given the comments from the players, the massive turn-around, how well we did in the East, and how great our team has gelled so far...

But, I'd also point out that is only the folks who had a problem with Lue to begin with, and those who are still mentioning Blatt and measuring the two against one another, that are skeptical of his coaching ability - and you've gone so far as to criticize him after figuring out the Warriors, and most importantly getting the Cavs to implement a system, down 3-1, that could end up with us winning the Finals.

It takes a great deal of hubris to discount all of that and to suggest that anyone else could have done it, including the guy who was fired because he couldn't do it.

I find it to be such an illogical argument, an argument that is based on speculation that reported facts are somehow not reliable whereas biased and prejudiced fan speculation is and should be accepted prima facie as evidence to support some claim that Blatt is the guy to lead this franchise and not the guy who just led them to their first championship in history.

It's not only illogical, but it's simply devoid of any rationality.

IF you are a Blatt fan, that's fine... But please don't use than fandom as a vehicle to attack the guy who just brought a title to Cleveland after a 52 year drought. A guy who will sign a multi-year deal after being the best coach we've had in generations.

Please don't make yourself into a fool, supporting a notion that is simply untenable.

Lue should make a lot of progress in the offseason and running his first training camp. but this is a shared Title between him and Blatt.

No it's not. Don't take away from his accomplishments, that's disgusting.

As Blatt put in all the groundwork. not much different than Luke Walton going undefeated while Kerr was out.

....Torn, you asked me to be respectful, but honestly, you're making it difficult.

Do you really believe what you're saying, I mean, real talk, do you honestly believe this?

Was there really no changes though? The offense was a lot faster after Lue became the head coach. The offensive strategy against Golden State was 100% different. And we dropped Blatt's defensive strategy after game two.

I've come around on giving Blatt a ring, he did lay some general groundwork, but I think discounting what Lue has done is just as, if not more disingenuous as discounting Blatt's role.

BTW, just to add to this, it was always Lue's defense. Blatt didn't come up with the defensive system last year, Ty Lue did. Blatt was responsible for the offense.

BTW, just to add to this, it was always Lue's defense. Blatt didn't come up with the defensive system last year, Ty Lue did. Blatt was responsible for the offense.
Wow, interesting. Good for Lue for changing up wasn't working, then.

Wow, interesting. Good for Lue for changing up wasn't working, then.

Yeah, he talked about it at length in two interviews where he said they stopped switching everything and only switched on Klay and Steph. Still trapping, but would change the trap throughout the game from Steph or Klay depending upon who had the hot hand.

Very dynamic.

After Game 2, Lue had them figured out, and was blasting the Cavs to play physical, tough, defense.. Make our presence felt. The Cavs did just that, to the lamentation of Steve Kerr, and it really broke them down.

Lots of examples of Coaches Leaving and the follow up coach being not as good but producing the same or better results.

Jimmy Johnson to Barry Switzer

John Gruden to Bill Callahan.
Etc.

I don't think its disrespectful at all . The offensive and defensive schemes were base Blatt packages Lue himself will readily acknowledge from an x's and O's standpoint there wasn't much he could implement with a regular season schedule.

The great solid start Blatt coached the Cavs too allowed Lue to work on the teams conditioning which really wasn't Blatts fault as half the starters were not in game shaped due to injuries and such.

Its not like there was a dramatic turnaround or the Cavs did anything they hadn't shown they could do just a season before.

This upcoming season will be different though. everything will be under Lues direction and implementation.

until then this was as much Blatts team as Lue's

Yeah, he talked about it at length in two interviews where he said they stopped switching everything and only switched on Klay and Steph. Still trapping, but would change the trap throughout the game from Steph or Klay depending upon who had the hot hand.

Very dynamic.

After Game 2, Lue had them figured out, and was blasting the Cavs to play physical, tough, defense.. Make our presence felt. The Cavs did just that, to the lamentation of Steve Kerr, and it really broke them down.

Which interviews? I want to learn more about the game.

On a lighter note, has Al Iverson given Lue a call to congratulate him? ;)

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."