• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Duke Johnson: Extension watch

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Soda

Listen To The Kids!
Reaction score
There has been an ongoing conversation on this board regarding Duke "don't call me Poop Dick" Johnson and his place on the Browns. Some see him as a very productive back that can create mismatches in the slot while others see him as a "specialty" player, or a guy who can't be depended upon to produce regularly in the offense. I think this discussion has brought a lot of opinions and numbers to the table that merits it's own thread.

Over the weekend, I listened to the Thomahawk pod to hear Joe choose the best offensive lineup made-up of players who have been on the Browns with Joe. That pod is a great listen if you haven't already been into the Thomahawk pod (highly recommend). Anyways, Joe picked Duke as his one RB. He's played with Jamal Lewis, Peyton Hillis, Isaiah Crowell, Terrance West, Jerome Harrison, James Davis, Montario Hardesty, Willis McGahee, Trent Richardson, Dion Lewis, Bobby Rainey, Fozzy Whittaker, Ben Tate, and Robert Turbin to name a chunk. Not impressive in totality, but I think it's high praise since Jamal Lewis was with the Browns for a few years.

Today, I saw this:

I personally see Duke as a key piece of the team moving forward, but he doesn't come without some criticism. Some have mentioned that he is quick to pull out of a series at times. He's also been looked at as a guy without a position; can't cut it as a RB and isn't a WR totally either.

The Browns are rumored to be looking into extending Duke. What do you think? Is he a key piece moving forward? Why? Is he a complimentary player without a real solid position? Why? What do you think he'll command in an extension? Will the Browns get it done?

Funny that you mention that, I do to notice Duke calling for a replacement a ton. What's the deal with that? Usually a good RB never wants to come out of a series.

Should absolutely be extended and his role should increase.

He's a weapon at a historically undervalued position which lends itself to contract value.
With the acquisition of Jarvis Landry, it's interesting given he'll be in the slot.

Duke isn't a guy I want to carry the football 15 times/game. He's not real big and he has a bit of a fumbling issue. That said, his talent in space and ability to pretty much run an entire route-tree is what makes him valuable.

I think we should see more sets with both him and a feature back on the field. The ability to shift him out of the backfield and create mismatches is glorious.

To me, he should be averaging about 15 touches/game. 6-8 carries. 6-8 targets.

Contract? I think 4 years, $25 million, front-loaded with $12-14 million guaranteed (mostly first two years + signing bonus) is a fair contract.

That said, that's less than what Jerick McKinnon received (4 years, $30 million, 15.7 guaranteed) from San Francisco. He was just given a ludicrous deal in order to lure him in Free Agency, which is almost certainly an overpay given his inability to stay on the field in his short career.

He hasn't even shown the same route-running ability as Duke and he's a year older. However, I think that was a gross overpay. I think Duke settles in at $24-26 million with $12-$14 million guaranteed.

Last edited:
Good lord, did anyone watch our offense last year? I know it was hard to stay awake at times with it, but Duke was one of the only people out there that looked like they should be. Having said that, he is not a traditional back, and I am thrilled to have both he and Hyde right now. Fucking Golden Eagles!!! Naples High School, that is.

I was all too happy to throw ice water on the Duke Johnson lovefest during the season last year. Between Soda and darkness 2332, my concerns are already well covered. Jerrick McKinnon is a great comparison because while you want to game plan ways to get him the ball, if you build the offense around a smallish back full time, he will get injured. It's just a question of when.

Two additions change my overall Duke tone, aside from an increased awareness that you can't pretend a 206 pound little guy can do exactly what a 225 pound guy can do. They are Tyrod Taylor and Carlos Hyde.

Taylor prefers checking down to a running back or tight end when a throw downfield isn't there. In the three years McCoy was in Buffalo, he caught 48, 75, and 48 passes again last season. I want the bridge QB comfortable next season, and Duke helps him with that level of comfort.

Next up, Carlos Hyde. Sure Duke had 74 receptions and three touchdowns off catches, but Hyde finished the year in S.F. with 59 receptions in dump offs from QBs facing a strong and constant pass rush. This leaves Tyrod with a pair of passing game backs who are also solid in pass pro. Duke needing breaks is less of an issue for me because Hyde won't be a major drop off when he gets those breaks. Hyde also has a complimentary body type at 6'0 230 pounds, one that can take more hits during the course of a game to keep Duke fresh.

So while I was frustrated with the overall plan for Duke in 2017, I see a better situation in place for 2018.

Should absolutely be extended and his role should increase.

He's a weapon at a historically undervalued position which lends itself to contract value.

He's also arguably the best satellite back in the NFL right now. Highly productive and efficient with his touches. Given that we'll almost certainly be able to sign him at a typical satellite back contract (that is, for not a ton of money), it'd be silly not to bring him back.

I have been too lazy to answer this, honestly I see him as a Sproles type of back. He will never be a feature back in the NFL but he can do a ton of things for you especially if given the ball out in space.

Over the course of the season, he could easily get 60-70 Rushing touches and 60-70 receptions and he would be extremely effective in the offense and have 1,000 or more all purpose yards.

Sproles best season in 2011, he had 87 rushing attempts for 603 yard (6.9 yard per carry) and 2 TDs and 111 targets, 86 receptions for 710 yards and 7 TDs.

That right there is the style of play I would use Duke for. Hyde is allowed to be the 800-1000 yard rusher (and if good lead blocker, both guys can play on the field) while Duke is the guy who is setup everywhere on the field.

Awesome. Wonder how much is guaranteed. That seems low.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."